OWH: Telltale signs gathered in offseason suggest Nebraska football will travel bumpy road

Hi, Husker fans. Long time no football.

Fortunately, that ends this week, which makes it time for my Big Ten prediction column focused more on Nebraska than my usual conference-wide observations.

With The World-Herald’s extensive coverage of Husker football, there isn’t a lot left unreported. So every year I “gather string” — tidbits, observations and impressions through the offseason — to weave into a preseason column without getting in the way of our beat writers.

As you saw in our Sunday football spectacular, I’ve pegged Nebraska fourth in the West Division and seventh overall in the 14-team league with records of 7-5 and 5-4. No profanity, please, as you respond.

What follows isn’t a direct explanation of why I picked those records. A lot of that was in the special section. But this look back offers big-picture clues as to why Year 3 under Mike Riley — and it is Year 3, not some bogus reset to a first-year situation as some try to claim — won’t be easy.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/barfknecht-telltale-signs-gathered-in-offseason-suggest-nebraska-football-will/article_9b5721b5-05c5-5c69-9abc-e98d9eb1186d.html

On one hand, it's Lee, but on the other, he does bring up some points.

• Plus1 2

"You might think getting your butt kicked and tumbling out of the polls would demand some quiet reflection.

Not for some Nebraska players.

Hollering, laughter and clowning around were noticeable. During an interview with receiver De’Mornay Pierson-El, a teammate — I’ll save him the embarrassment this time by not identifying him — began messing with Pierson-El, then grabbed a TV cameraman’s microphone and asked goofy questions between bursts of laughter."

Yeesh

• Plus1 2