BTN: Who is the dark horse contender in the Big Ten?

Dienhart: Nebraska

Keep an eye on Nebraska. The Cornhuskers are flying under everyone’s radar. As pundits fawn over Wisconsin and Northwestern as favorites in the Big Ten West, Nebraska is sitting back and ready to strike. The 2017 Cornhuskers are new and improved, a team with altered looks on both sides of the ball in Mike Riley’s third season in Lincoln. The offense finally will look like what Riley wants it to, as Tulane transfer Tanner Lee takes over at quarterback. The days of quarterback runs are basically over. This will be a West Coast-type of offense built around a strong rushing attack and the short-passing game. And there is no shortage of playmakers in WRs De’Mornay Pierson-El, Tyjon Lindsey and a trio of nice running backs including Tre Bryant. The key: development of the offensive line. The defense has been revamped by new coordinator Bob Diaco, who has scrapped Nebraska’s traditional 4-3 and installed a 3-4. And the Huskers look to have the personnel to make it work, including a nice set of linebackers. Add it all up, and it wouldn’t be a shock to see Nebraska win the West and get to the Big Ten title game, as NU seeks its first league title since 1999.

http://btn.com/2017/08/30/dot-commentary-who-is-the-dark-horse-contender-in-the-big-ten/

• Plus1 4

Dinardo, Dienhart, DiGiornos who can tell the difference anyway? XD beanboozled myself. 

Either way he nailed it on the head with the line. There is talent and better depth there, can they put it together? Another key will clearly be the defense. How will they play? Can they stay healthy? We need full seasons from Lee and Jackson. Hopefully those 2 can come into their own this season but honestly they are question marks as far as the games go. Crazy to think we will be starting 2 brand new corners when I thought that position was going to be locked down by Kalu and Jones  a year ago. 

I can not disagree with anything there.  We are clearly a dark horse to get to Indy.  Most people are discounting us because they don't know really anything bout how we are going to look on either side of the ball.  (that makes it exciting).  

However, if Lee is for real....and Diaco has our Defense playing at a high level.  I like our chances.

• Plus1 1

I think the media is really hedging their bets when it comes to Nebraska.  The ones that have seen the team up close, I think are impressed with what they are seeing, but really want to see it in action.  Nebraska is going to be a very young  team this year.  They are only starting like 5 seniors.  Lots of Juniors and Sophs.   

Personally I think the defense will be pretty good.  I don't think it will be completely dominating, but I think it will be top 25 or so.  I think the run game will be solid.  I think it really comes down to how good Tanner Lee is going to be.  If he is as good as some thinks he can be than they are going to win a lot of games this year.  

• Plus1 1

48 hours from kickoff #1... and I honestly have no idea how we will be this year.  I would like to think I know a lot about football and generally predict our seasons pretty close.  This year, for me, is a complete mystery.  The changes, combined with a much tougher schedule, have me avoiding too much koolaid.  I'm hoping Saturday night proves to be a blowout that shows us it is all for real.      

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can not disagree with anything there.  We are clearly a dark horse to get to Indy.  Most people are discounting us because they don't know really anything bout how we are going to look on either side of the ball.  (that makes it exciting).  

However, if Lee is for real....and Diaco has our Defense playing at a high level.  I like our chances.

This ^^^

In my mind there are 3 basic questions and 1 more minor one.

1- Will Lee live up to expectations?

2- Will Diaco's defense get the job done?

3- Will our O Line perform and stay healthy?

4- Can Langsdorf develop a plan and call a good game?

The first 3 are of paramount importance for success and the 4th (which hasn't been talked about a lot) becomes a lot easier if the first 3 are realized. Unfortunately none of these have been proven on the field in actual games yet and all are unknowns. I have high expectations for the first 2, a gut feeling that number 3 will be okay and, if I'm correct, #4 should fall into place.  I don't think horses get any darker than Nebraska this year but I also fully expect for things to come together and make the pundits who are predicting 4th place in the West or only 6 or 7 wins look like idiots.  These questions begin to get answered these next 2 Saturdays. Can't wait.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agreed with the potential ability to get to Indy. A lot of things would have to go right, but Penn St. came out of nowhere last year. They ended 2015 at 7-6 and started 2016 2-2 with a bad loss to Michigan. I think we'd have to get some help along the way, but it's definitely possible.

I think Dienhart is spot on about the offensive line; that, to me, is the single greatest variable this season.

I did find it interesting he put Tyjon Lindsey in there. I know there's a lot of hype around him and he's talented enough to play as a true freshman, but I would've figured he'd mentioned SMJr first. Granted, there aren't man proven commodities at the skill positions right now.