Nurse arrested for doing her job

This SOB needs to be not just fired, but he needs to have his ass sued or criminal charges filed. 

I think what pisses me off about this is not just what he did.....but, that it just makes it that much harder for the vast majority of other cops, who are good hardworking police officers, to do their jobs.

I have the utmost respect for this nurse for standing up for her patient's rights.  When a patient comes into the hospital, their nurse is their first line of defense to be treated the way they should be and their rights protected.

• Plus1 1

"Police argued that they were using an “implied consent” law, but such a law hasn’t been in place in Utah since 2007. The US Supreme Court also ruled in 2016 that the Constitution requires a warrant or consent for blood tests — meaning that Payne’s expedition was in violation of constitutional law, not just hospital policy."

Nice. 

26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Because they are different police departments.

Cops from different police departments consistently get off for far more egregious offenses.

I'll be shocked if anything comes from this, though I will happily eat some crow if it does. 

• Plus1 1

Article I read said that his Lieutenant told him to arrest anyone who wouldn't let him get the sample.

Obviously this guys doesn't represent the whole, but why can his punishment be the same as someone regular civilian who falsely imprisons a person?

why did they need blood from this guy?  he wasn't the guy they were chasing.   this guy was driving a truck and the guy they were chasing crashed into the truck.   suicide by semi i guess we can call it.   this guy was a victim, not anyone who was going to be arrested.

Just now, ZRod said:

They were trying to protecr the truck driver I guess. :dunno

They wanted to prove he was sober at the time of the accident. Maybe to prevent the suspects family from filing a civil suit or something.

or maybe if he had any drugs or alcohol in his system they could deflect blame to him for the way the police chase ended?   :dunno

3 hours ago, Fru said:

They don't even fire cops that murder people, why would they dole out any punishment for this? At most he'll get put on paid administrative leave for 2 weeks, take a sensitivity course and be back on the beat. 

I think this cop is an idiot for doing what he did, but this statement is garbage. So cops that use deadly force in the course of their duties in a manner that is consistent with the law and has been proven time and time again through the courts are now "murdering" people and getting away with it? Good to know.....if you are talking about the cops that have been found to be wrong and guilty in using deadly force through investigations and through court proceedings then your statement needs to be specific towards those situations. Fairly broad brush you're using to paint with when I read that comment. This guy may not end up getting in as much trouble as his Lieutenant if that order was actually given.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

They were trying to protecr the truck driver I guess. :dunno

They wanted to prove he was sober at the time of the accident. Maybe to prevent the suspects family from filing a civil suit or something.

Shouldn't matter. Seems like the department (lieutenant) was in CYA mode on this call.

This is about civilian rights. I don't want anybody who isn't a healthcare professional taking my blood if I can't consent. Least of all without a warrant.

29 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I think this cop is an idiot for doing what he did, but this statement is garbage. So cops that use deadly force in the course of their duties in a manner that is consistent with the law and has been proven time and time again through the courts are now "murdering" people and getting away with it? Good to know.....if you are talking about the cops that have been found to be wrong and guilty in using deadly force through investigations and through court proceedings then your statement needs to be specific towards those situations. Fairly broad brush you're using to paint with when I read that comment. This guy may not end up getting in as much trouble as his Lieutenant if that order was actually given.

You're twisting my words. Do cops sometimes need to use deadly force to subdue a situation? Yes. Without question. Do cops unnecessarily use deadly force and not face consequences? Yes. A simple Google search will give plenty of examples. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Fru said:

You're twisting my words. Do cops sometimes need to use deadly force to subdue a situation? Yes. Without question. Do cops unnecessarily use deadly force and not face consequences? Yes. A simple Google search will give plenty of examples. 

Not twisting your words at all, you said what you said and it's not accurate. You make it sound like we murder people and get away with it. Blame the courts if you don't like what the law states and contact your legislature to try and get it changed.

Regardless this situation is bad and when stupid stuff like this happens it makes the national news. Stopping by a kids lemonade stand and dropping a $20 in the jar and not wanting any change back isn't as exciting and won't appear on the national news. Obviously the latter happens a helluva lot more than folks know.