Broken Chair Remade

It's the ad revenue and sponsorship that truly generate the money that make it such a profitable athletic department. Now I am not saying that the donations and money spent by fans on tickets, merch, etc. is not a significant part of it as well. But, because of the high interest in Husker athletics the dept and it's facilitates have the opportunity to ask a premium from sponsors and ads. Which of course greatly helps the bottom line.

1 hour ago, unl22 said:

It's the ad revenue and sponsorship that truly generate the money that make it such a profitable athletic department. Now I am not saying that the donations and money spent by fans on tickets, merch, etc. is not a significant part of it as well. But, because of the high interest in Husker athletics the dept and it's facilitates have the opportunity to ask a premium from sponsors and ads. Which of course greatly helps the bottom line.

Oregon has what, Phil Knight? We have thousands of donors, 40k more butts in the seats, and our share of the B1G. Yet still can't find a way to have less commercials and a better fan experience than a relatively new kid on the block?

• Plus1 3

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's noticeable because they put it where the in-game information used to be. I've been looking at those boards for years to get stats.  It's kind of hard not to notice something like that.

Yeah, I didn't really catch that until you tweeted it but it is pretty annoying.

They do have some out-of-town scores on the bottom-right of the main board.  You're just protesting by having your back to it all game.  ;)

50 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Oregon has what, Phil Knight? We have thousands of donors, 40k more butts in the seats, and our share of the B1G. Yet still can't find a way to have less commercials and a better fan experience than a relatively new kid on the block?

If only it was that simple. More butts = more money. Really more butts means more expenses. So how can the more butts work for you. More like more eyes watching ads for things that generate more money.

Capture.PNG.62e5677b275fb1c0282c415963d8d458.PNG

These figures are on http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/ which are based on the15-16 fiscal year. The newest numbers are not out yet. I will say first I do agree I would love it if more creativity could be displayed on the video boards. I also am a purist of the event and would love the corporate aspect to be less. However, that simply isn't the case anymore. The above columns are revenue, expenses, total allocated and what percent is from the allocation. Oregon and NU basically have the same revenue generation. It will be interesting to see how this evolves with the now full share of B1G TV money and the new Adidas contract. So on a basic high level the "new kid" is on equal standing. NU receives 35% of revenue from ticket sales, 20% from the B1G and NCAA, and 17% from gift funds used "donations". The next two are most important, 15% from sponsorship & rights and 13% business enterprises. Without the corporate money they are roughly 31 million in the red last year. On a expense side last year 39% went to payroll (including coaches salaries) 34% to the student- athlete experience, 14% to fan experience, and the remainder on general operating expenses, administration and taxes. Also they donate back to the university roughly 20 million annually. These are pulled from here http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/4941808.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=100 the latest annual report from NU.

NU doesn't receive the roughly 2 million that Oregon does from state funding allocation and still operates in the black. I think this should be a sense of pride. You can also argue that the fans tickets and donations are the real reason they make money. So if we won't real change don't go to the games, don't donate, don't buy the gear and don't by their sponsors products. Sorry for the rant everyone and going way off topic. I am more of just a lurker but really wanted to jump in here. This is a business and something run to make money to fund the athletic department and the student athletes they support. It is fair to ask for more things such as space for more stat info, better concessions, etc. Because the fans ultimately buy what you are selling. It's just a cycle and balancing act. I think NU does do a great job for a small market, small state population, public university. It has a brand that reaches people all across the country.

So back to the topic at hand, the broken chair is back and that is good for college

• Plus1 2

Back on topic.....

It's official.  (Its now in Wikipedia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota–Nebraska_football_rivalry

In 2016, after Nebraska defeated Minnesota in Lincoln, the trophy seemingly disappeared. Inquiries to the Nebraska and Minnesota athletic departments revealed that neither school formally recognized the trophy in the first place. This essentially ended the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy in any major capacity.[10] On September 12, 2017, it was announced, via Twitter,[better source needed] that Nebraska and Minnesota will once again play for the $5 Bits of Broken Chair, likely as an unofficial trophy game. The trophy will serve as the focal point of fundraisers for Nebraska's Team Jack Foundation and Minnesota's Masonic Children's Hospital. The image of Faux Pelini on the $5 bill has been replaced with Herbie Husker. The other $5 bill still bears a picture of Goldy Gopher.[citation needed]

I think the fundraising aspect is fine.  They are both non-profit organizations rather than corporate sponsors.  AND neither school's administration wanted this, so... WIN!

Image result for so much win animated gif

• Plus1 3

I wonder if their logic to convince themselves that it was okay to not use the ribbons for stats and other scores (I actually did notice the lack there) is... the internet.

5 years ago you couldn't check your phone at a game. Then they updated something so cell phones work.

This time I checked my phone during time outs to look at the other scores around the country. I even checked Huskerboard a couple times.

It's still tough to get stats on your phone.  At least through Verizon, my phone gets throttled every few minutes.  I'll go five/ten minutes without being able to update Twitter, and ESPN is terrible to use to get live stats.

I sometimes wonder if they're not throttling everything else at the stadium to encourage you to pay for the Husker app, but I tried that sucker and it's garbage. 

I could bring some headphones & tune in to the radio, I guess. Mom used to do that back in the day, one ear free & one ear with a bud listening to the radio, & she seemed well-enough informed.

With all that screen real estate, it's awful that we even have to have this conversation.  There should be more information than you can absorb at the game, but so far there's less.  Stupid.

• Plus1 2