What did we learn-Game 1 Arky State

JJ Husker

1 minute ago, spurs1990 said:

Was this more or less scary than McNeese State?

It's not that this was scary. I didnt feel until the final minute that there was a chance to lose, and am pretty suprised that was really an option at the end.

It's deeply concerning that this is year 3 of a coach that followed a perennial 9 win program and there remain so many basic mistakes on basic plays. Our offense feels like something out of the 70s. Our coach didnt even make the field on time. We played a base defense that fundamentally doesn't work against the formations we saw and the formations we knew we would see.

This is a program that has as good of a support system as any in the country and we routinely seem ill prepared.

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

No one thinks Diaco held back his blitz packages for Oregon? 

no. I almost typed this in the game thread but held off because I don't want to ruin the board with "Im a UConn fan and have watched Diaco so blah blah" 

But this reminded me so much of a game we played @ BYU on a Friday 2 years ago. BYU continuously ran those short rub routes and WR screens and Diaco refused to adjust and move our DB's closer to the line of scrimmage. Result was they just dink and dunked us to death. Bob is extremely stubborn and while he gets a lot of credit for being a brilliant defensive mind his style of play on D is mind boggling. Its not an aggressive high octane intense 3-4 D. Its designed to keep everything in front and make you take 10+ plays to get down the field. Which is ridiculous but it is what it is. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Coach Power'T said:

I want to say the rule in place for equipment coming off is that the clock has to stop until the player leaves the field...

During the TX game today it happened and the clock was going to run off 10 seconds but Maryland got to use their 2nd TO.  If the helmet comes off in the last 2 minutes of a half, it is run off or you can use a time out.  Even inadvertent helmet removal will have a 10 second run off.

• Plus1 1

I expected some first game transition shakiness out of the defense, but FFS, 36 points ties Arkansas State's highest score from all of last season (against the mighty Texas State Bobcats).

• Plus1 2

I didn't listen to the post game presser, but I'm assuming nobody asked coach "they were gashing you with the screens all night, why did you continue to play so far off the ball?"

Not looking forward to next week.  Anybody that says we kept it vanilla on defense to mask our game plan for the Ducks, needs to take off the red tinted glasses because we almost pissed this game away.

I love Riley, but I also don't want to hang on to a losing coach for too long because he's a nice guy.

This is what I learned.

Pros:

1. Lee looked very good.

2. We got RBs

3. We shouldn't have, but we got into a dogfight and came away victorious.

Cons:

1. Defense looked bad

2. Defense looked exhausted on those final drives

3. O-Line still not impressive

Up in the air:

1. WR's are talented and fast, but may be too young still.

Outlook:

Oregon hung 77 points in their coaches first game. Nebraska gave up 36 points to a team they shouldn't have. uh-oh.