What did we learn-Game 1 Arky State

JJ Husker

15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't get why people are freaking out so much. Other than the ones who expected us to win the B1G.

What happened tonight is pretty much what has happened every season for the past 5+ seasons. We had close games against worse opponents than Arkansas State (e.g. McNeese State and Idaho State).

The game didn't make me feel confident but it also didn't make me assume we'd have a losing season. It's way too early to freak out like this.

Don't think people are freaking out, just hoping for something better. We've got 12 of these things let's hope we get better as it goes on like Penn State last year.

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't get why people are freaking out so much. Other than the ones who expected us to win the B1G.

What happened tonight is pretty much what has happened every season for the past 5+ seasons. We had close games against worse opponents than Arkansas State (e.g. McNeese State and Idaho State).

The game didn't make me feel confident but it also didn't make me assume we'd have a losing season. It's way too early to freak out like this.

Agreed. We had some issues here and there and the soft defense was disturbing to watch but overall I thought we looked better than the last few seasons. I think some people aren't (and probably never will) giving Arky St the credit they deserve. That was a solid football team, who played very well, even if they are a Sunbelt team. Well have a much better idea where we stack up after next week. If Miami blows their doors off and Oregon takes us behind the woodshed then I'll be concerned.

• Plus1 1

Didn't really learn anything new, personally.

I was reminded that it takes a very, very rare set of circumstances for Huskerboard to be a pleasant experience after games are over. Win or lose.

Was also reminded that people just can't help themselves in unnecessarily extrapolating a final verdict on a team based on a single data point.

Was reminded that better teams (at Nebraska, and across the country) have struggled just as much against worse opponents. The teams that almost lost to South Dakota State and McNeese State finished with 10 and 9 wins, respectively. Michigan finished ranked 18th after losing to App State in 2007. Reality is that this just isn't that big of a deal either way. 

Saw plenty of positives that I really liked - Bryant looked the part of a workhorse featured back (although he still runs pretty high), run blocking was solid and the scheme was much more intricate than last season, Tanner Lee looked like what we've all been hoping he was, there were flashes on defense, Lightbourn played great, no injuries, few penalties, so on.

Oh! One thing I learned is that @Enhance is a cool dude in person and his fiance is a definite keeper, although he wasn't handling the last 2 minutes of the game very well :lol: Got a decent amount of free drinks hanging at Kirkwood in Chicago tonight in a cool atmosphere watching our favorite team play and win. All in all, not much reason for me to be too bummed out.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

That's the problem. People are getting tired of watching the same thing happen year after year. Different coaching staff same results.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, MLB 51 said:

That's the problem. People are getting tired of watching the same thing happen year after year. Different coaching staff same results.

It's weird though, because all of those were 9-10 win teams, but people think that this is somehow an indicator of an inevitable 5 win season. Why are so many so eager to declare failure? I guess I just don't get it. We could just wait to see how many games they win and which games they'll win instead of trying to decide it for them beforehand.

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's weird though, because all of those were 9-10 win teams, but people think that this is somehow an indicator of an inevitable 5 win season. Why are so many so eager to declare failure? I guess I just don't get it. We could just wait to see how many games they win and which games they'll win instead of trying to decide it for them beforehand.

Just seems like we're stuck in a rut. We hear the same excuses every year. We lack talent. We don't have the right coaches. Players aren't playing inspired.

It's been this way since Callahan. 9-10 wins is nice, but we haven't won anything of importance since Osborne quit coaching.

1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

Agreed. We had some issues here and there and the soft defense was disturbing to watch but overall I thought we looked better than the last few seasons. I think some people aren't (and probably never will) giving Arky St the credit they deserve. That was a solid football team, who played very well, even if they are a Sunbelt team. Well have a much better idea where we stack up after next week. If Miami blows their doors off and Oregon takes us behind the woodshed then I'll be concerned.

Thanks for that. This ASU team is regarded by many as the most talented we have ever had. Just have to go out and back that up. Many ASU fans thought if things went right that we could be in it in the 4th quarter. Now we have some things to improve on to gear up and open up a can of whup@$$ on Miami next Saturday. Same thing with Nebraska, things to work on and improve to go up there and spank Oregon. 

• Plus1 3