I mean....

Redux

If you were toying and playing vanilla defense all game long to try and "hide" something from Oregon, then I would hope we'd say enough is enough when Arkansas State is down 14 and about to score to make it a one score game within the final minutes. Then I would hope if Arkansas State gets the onside kick we would really turn up the defense to make sure they got nowhere close to scoring or tying the game.

IMO, the hiding playbooks to keep things secretive against future opponents is hogwash, and it certainly shouldn't and wouldn't apply when you may lose a game.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

You know that wasn't the defense.

Why would you play vanilla like it's a scrimmage? I don't know. Kind of puzzling mindset. Doesn't portend well. But it wasn't the defense.

8 minutes left in a 2-score game...you need to score. 

Hopefully we plug those faucets :P

If that's our defense, anyone with a pulse is going to destroy us(pretty much the same the last 10 years or so).  We ran the same defense the whole game except for may a total of 5 plays.  I'm not well versed on the 3-4 defense, but if that is the only thing it offers, I was it gone immediately.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, hskrfan4life said:

This is only Week One. Don't overreact to Week one. Biggest improvements happen between week one and week two.

Yeah.  But normally we have another scrub to hammer things out against.  We barely prevented OT against a Sun Belt squad and have Oregon on the road in a week.  sh#t...

1 minute ago, 1995 Redux said:

Yeah.  But normally we have another scrub to hammer things out against.  We barely prevented OT against a Sun Belt squad and have Oregon on the road in a week.  sh#t...

And Oregon is Alabama. Got it. Having a game like this gives the coaches the weaknesses and gives them ability to fix those before game two. Just going to have to wait and see.