Do we have the personnel to play the 3-4

chamrocck

The defense was one of the main things I was excited about for this season.  Man, did that hurt tonight.  Where were the linebackers coming in crashing the QB and the DB's crashing screens and plays in the flat?  The DL got no push or pressure at all.  It was really, really bad.  

Tonight the scheme was terrible but I also was thinking we don't have the "monsters" needed to play the 3-4.  I don't see any "monsters" on our defense at all and it is a very bad reality check.  This is what we should be building and doing if we are serious about the 3-4.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_6e340a7a-8213-11e7-8921-4f3220418d16.html

By the way LSU shutout BYU tonight and BYU never even crossed midfield...that is mind boggling.   

• Plus1 1

It's mainly just the OLBs that I'm worried about, getting some pass rush pressure out of them. I'm hoping more experience will help them with that.

Other than that, IMHO the "we don't have the right personnel" bit is overplayed. Some of them are maybe not quite a perfect ideal fit, but perfectly serviceable in this D.

I think it's more of a scheme/philosophy issue than players. Many who were familiar with Diaco's defense warned us it would be like this, almost a permanent prevent D. But it sure can get really ugly when the opposing QB is hitting his targets and your DB's are playing so soft.  We are going to struggle with any team that can throw the ball and gets it out quick. I want to blame our front for not generating pressure but it's not like the QB had forever, he was getting the ball out too quickly. I want to blame our corners for playing too soft and giving such a cushion but guaranteed they were doing what they were supposed to. This is completely on Diaco's scheme and philosophy. I can see where it may work but it is hot garbage when a QB is on and stays on. I'm going to venture a guess that most on our schedule won't have the same results....but hold on for the ones that do.

• Plus1 3

40 minutes ago, brophog said:

I've said it before, and it bears saying again:

Too much is made of what you call your defense.

Fronts

Alignments

Coverages

That's what it's about. Generics like 3-4, 4-3, etc are outdated static terminologies that dont really apply to modern football.

Agreed. I don't know what kind of offense everyone on Nebraska's schedule plays, but it's possible they only line up in a 3-4 against Wisconsin and Iowa. There's a strong chance they don't play a single snap of 3-4 against Oregon or Purdue.

I'll wait until we see what Oregon does.  Scheme last night was horrible.  That wasn't the 3-4.  Unsure how they will hold up against team dedicated to pounding the ball. Our front 3 got little to no penetration.  Imagine even less when teams come at them with their ears pinned back......I'd go with Gifford and Barry next week (Gif seemed MUCH better than newly IMHO.....The OLB were exposed last night IMHO.... 

All during the off season Riley and Co spoke to finding/recruiting CB's who are tall/rangy/physical to play press....Where the hell was that all night.  Last night might have solidified Bookies commitment i.e. I can start day one or makes him run away i.e. They don't play any press....at all....against a team that's eating them alive in quick hits....

8 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Agreed. I don't know what kind of offense everyone on Nebraska's schedule plays, but it's possible they only line up in a 3-4 against Wisconsin and Iowa. There's a strong chance they don't play a single snap of 3-4 against Oregon or Purdue.

We sat in the base 3-4 80% of the game last night against a pass first spread team. No sure why that same idea wouldn't transfer to Ore/Pur/OSU

18 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'll wait until we see what Oregon does.  Scheme last night was horrible.  That wasn't the 3-4.  Unsure how they will hold up against team dedicated to pounding the ball. Our front 3 got little to no penetration.  Imagine even less when teams come at them with their ears pinned back......I'd go with Gifford and Barry next week (Gif seemed MUCH better than newly IMHO.....The OLB were exposed last night IMHO.... 

All during the off season Riley and Co spoke to finding/recruiting CB's who are tall/rangy/physical to play press....Where the hell was that all night.  Last night might have solidified Bookies commitment i.e. I can start day one or makes him run away i.e. They don't play any press....at all....against a team that's eating them alive in quick hits....

He played like I thought he would. (Gifford).  That was encouraging.

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

We sat in the base 3-4 80% of the game last night against a pass first spread team. No sure why that same idea wouldn't transfer to Ore/Pur/OSU

That wasn't a 3-4.  In a normal 3-4, you'll see the outside linebackers at or close to the LOS.  Most of the time, they weren't even in the picture.  That was closer to a prevent defense.