It is what it is. It was a "huh, what" hire for me too.... I like the guy, I want him to succeed, but I'm not convinced he ever will beyond a certain point.

I don't feel like it's productive for me to sit here and ask for the guy to be fired.... he won't be unless things are really bad, and over a longer period of time. In the meantime, I sit, I watch, and hope he figures it out, with much skepticism.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, unlfan said:

A large group of us have been making that point since the day he was hired only to be ridiculed and faced with the "he had no resources at Oregon State" argument. A tiger doesn't change his stripes after 40 years.

Having said that, no real point in harping on it because it doesn't do anybody any good.

A more interesting way to approach it is to ask what are the chances Nice Guy Mike is our coach after the 2018 season? I would say pretty low.

Because he retired going out on top, right?

:)

A coach's success at one place is hardly an indicator of how they'll perform at another place. Heck, if you looked at how Nick Saban did as head coach at Michigan State and with the Dolphins, you'd never guess the guy would be widely regarded as one of the best coaches of all-time.

If you thought a .500 record at Oregon State means he's not capable of more at Nebraska, that shows you weren't even prepared to give him a chance. Whether he is or isn't, the record alone is not an indicator of how well he will do here.

• Plus1 6

When Riley was hired, I had to google who he was.At the time, in his college career, he was a .504 coach.  I was concerned.  I thought he was the wrong guy for the hire. A west coast guy with no NU ties.  A coach who hadn't won anything of note.  A coach who was known to throw.  A lot.

He came here and I was disappointed in his first game.  BYU hail Mary.  One play that was allowed by clock management I would expect form a first year staff. Not a staff with the experience he brought.   Several other in game issues cost us more....Not what I'd expect from a seasoned coach and staff.

We all heard how it would be.  Great guy, does more with less.....  Here is my philosophy on that.  Winners win.  It's that simple.  A guy who isn't used to winning (or succeeding at a high level) begins to accept that in their psyche.  It truly becomes their DNA.  He is and was ecstatic for a 9 win season.  His level of expectations is (or acceptance if you will) is, IMHO, less than a coach who is a "winner".   The staff he brought were also .504 guys...This mediocre "mindset" transcends into performance and success on the field or life.  

Coaches, businessman, military teams etc have greater success than those contemporaries who accept loss.  Or expect it.......They try harder, have higher expectations and refuse to accept mediocrity.  Clock mismanagement last night again....The stupid penalties again.....A team or business or unit  takes on the personality of its coach, CEO or leader....

Riley,IMO then and now, wasn't brought in to win.  He was brought in as the anti-Bo.  Nice, likable, friendly. Heal the fractured fan base, press and alumni athletes.  He has done a great job at that.  He has assembled, by all accounts some great pieces on his staff.  He also appears to be recruiting at a high level.  BUT I do not expect a .504 coach, in the twilight of his career, to suddenly know how to win at a high level.  I just don't think that switch gets "turned" on.  Thats just my .02.  I hope for his success as it means success for NU.  

• Plus1 5
7 hours ago, alwayshusking said:

If he isn't any good he won't be here long. No reason to fret imo. Worst case scenario he'll improve our roster for Frost or someone else to take advantage of imo.

I still say no matter what he'll be here for another 2-3 years before this administration even thinks about making a move.  That's the part that really scares me.  The administration more than anything and their time table whatever that is if they even have one.  

I don't trust Eichorst to make the right decision to save my life.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, California Husker said:

I am one of those who was against his hire in the first place. I just hate to think that we have to endure this season and another one after that....

It's kind of sad how much your life revolves around Husker football, don't you think? 

I love Husker football as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to wallow in negativity because I honestly have no control over the situation. The only thing you can do, as a fan, is to stop supporting the team. That is the only power you have.

• Plus1 2

46 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

It's kind of sad how much your life revolves around Husker football, don't you think? 

I love Husker football as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to wallow in negativity because I honestly have no control over the situation. The only thing you can do, as a fan, is to stop supporting the team. That is the only power you have.

My life revolves around Husker football as much as yours does. I'm on a message board making a comment after a disappointing game and pointing out that, at least so far, this is pretty much what I expected from a .500 coach. It's not what I wanted, but what I expected. 

I guess I just don't have the exciting life you do...you know, the one where you read huskerboard posts and comment on them and hurl insults at people who are expressing their opinion. 

• Plus1 7

If you had to Google who Mike Riley was, I'm kinda thinking you shouldn't have been one to judge his career at the time.

It just amazes me that people didn't know who Mike Riley was at the time. But hey, my wife said something about Mike Riley at work the other day and she said none of her coworkers knew who she was talking about.

She works at Starbucks though, so it was a bunch of "sports are stupid" hipsters.

• Plus1 4

28 minutes ago, Wander Mands said:

I have been following the Huskers since 1963.  I would rather now blame Riley.  The Huskers are just not tough anymore.  They haven't been since Solich was fired.  He just couldn't recruit.  The Huskers and Longhorns share the same deficit.  They lack that toughness of yesteryears

Wander you are spot on.

• Plus1 2