Shatel: Bob Diaco's refusal for postgame interview unacceptable

Saunders

Bob Diaco didn’t meet the media after the game. That’s not that surprising, given Diaco’s reluctance at times to do interviews. But it’s disappointing. And unacceptable. If they’re going to pay you $825,000 to be a coordinator, part of your job can be to take questions and explain the good and bad that come along. You say you don’t care but you should. This is your team, your program. Don’t you want the explanations? Yes, you do. Come on, this is football. Answer some questions, move on. It’s not hard. 

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/tom-s-takes-bob-diaco-s-refusal-for-postgame-interview/article_c9ffb610-9069-11e7-895f-9ff24127ceff.html

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Step up to the plate.  Own it like a man and a Husker.  The kids couldn't side step it.  Lead by example. We aren't ND or Connecticut fans.  We know a crap show when we see it......Not saying it can't/won't improve, but the schtick will get old if you don't own up.

What do you think the kids think when their coach runs?  Nothing like hanging your players out to dry. 

I have been as impressed with Diaco as most on here in a generally positive way.  I think he is a little over the top in some of his glittering generalities and  bpositive remarks and so on.  A little more nuts and bolts and less pie in the sky BS would be good.  Husker fans want more of the nuts and bolts and Xs and Os and a lot less 'coach speak' and cliches.  We understand all of it and want to have reasonable explanations.  A failure to execute is so typical and sometimes is the actual answer.  But, after a few weeks of that, it is no longer the player's fault - it becomes the coach's problem.  These players are academically qualified college students and are certainly not "unlearnable" a term I once had given to me by a public school teacher when describing the academic traits of one of my foster children.   

Now, for the coaching staff, they have no excuse.  These are very highly paid professionals with many many years of combined experience in FOOTBALL.  Football is NOT rocket science but it is also not mowing the lawn or sweeping the floors.  These coaches should be accountable.  They can face the music, good or bad.  Not sure why Diaco would duck out and hide but obviously he did exactly that.   Does he really think facing the media in  a couple days will be easier now?    The questions will be now about him as much as about his defense and its performance in game one.  This suggests he himself believes it failed miserably.   He ought to be able to defend it if anybody can. 

Why exactly is this a bad thing? Usually everyone complains about the coachspeak answers they give. Without reading the article, the title makes Shatel sound as if he is entitled. Did he write anything about the positives that came out of the game? Why not write about the game itself, why make up a controversy where there doesn't need to be one? Nebraska just played a game where 11 defensive starters were playing in an entirely different scheme, of course there were going to be growing pains. Now Diaco, and crew, have game footage to take to practice and make adjustments.

• Plus1 6
1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

It's inexcusable that he avoided the press last night after that performance by the defense. If I'm the head coach he's already been in my office this morning and been talked to, I'd be surprised if that happened again.

This is what I was wondering immediately. If Riley would talk to him about it.

To be blunt, politics is important for head coaches, so he needs his coaches to not act like children.

• Plus1 1

I don't live in Nebraska so I don't know - do each of the coaches speak to the press after each game?  I don't seem to remember Banker after each game, but admittedly I can't usually get the coverage consistently.  Just trying to figure out if him not speaking is really that out of sorts - obviously with the Defense's performance last night, and the change in scheme a lot of folks have questions for him - but did Banker/Pellini etc speak after every game?