"Base Defense"

Zaimejs

3 hours ago, Huskerzoo said:

Do you remember Boise State? What about Utah pre PAC? Teams can still be good and not be P5. Similarly, Kansas. Good football teams are good football teams. Don't let arbitrary groupings lead you to forget that. 

What happens if/when they don't have an outstanding season from here on out in reference to your opinion on this game then? I hope they have a great season and go undefeated, I really do because that'll make me feel better about what happened.

4 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

What happens if/when they don't have an outstanding season from here on out in reference to your opinion on this game then? I hope they have a great season and go undefeated, I really do because that'll make me feel better about what happened.

If they don't, I just try to look at our team for the season they have. Footballs a weird game sometimes. I'm thinking of the Flea Kicker game Mizzou finished 7-5, we won the NC. They had no right to be playing us that way, but they did. At the end of the day, wins are wins. If we win every game we're supposed to in this super stressful way, I'm all for it. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thrilled about the game, but I'm still willing to give the team a chance. 

• Plus1 4

Here's one thing that is concerning and has nothing to do with a vanilla defense.

Two separate plays.  Two different OLB.  Both literally stay in one place for an inordinate amount of time.  To stand there and do nothing is about the most un-natural thing a defensive player can do.  Why would they be coached to do this?

• Plus1 2

41 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I noticed this last night as well Mav.  I just rewatched the game.  This was the footwork on nearly every play.  It is strange as hell.

Said the same thing last night.  Both in almost a sprinter lean.  Instead of balanced ready to move.  And they just stayed there and watched plays go...

I think the D ran cover-3 the majority of the night... saw man a couple times (the few times that we blitzed); but for the most part, I saw a team that was content giving up the 10-15 yard pass in exchange for giving up no big passes or runs, and not over-pursuing on tackles.

we basically ran a "bend-but-dont-break/prevent" hybrid.

and, in all honesty, I think that's what we can expect the rest of the year.

• Plus1 2

Huh, that looks weird.

Gifford is literally planted to the turf. Newby is revving up.

In both cases it seems like the real issue is where they went when they decided to move. Both of them were not heading in the right direction. Newby was late and started to turn clockwise; he wasn't ready to move in any direction, as lo_country said. Clockwise was the wrong one to turn in. Gifford's in the perfect place there standing still, but when the RB bounces he takes a step in at a really sharp angle and takes himself out of the play. Oops.

21 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Here's the UConn board on Diaco from last night: https://the-boneyard.com/threads/diacos-debut-at-nebraska.115943/

Welp...

The Husker Board is pure gold right now with quotes like this: "I think the D will be better next week. It has to be. That was the most vanilla d I have seen in my life. In a 3-4, the line is there to contain while the linebackers make the plays. Hard to make plays when you're running the wrong way. Hard to get QB pressure when your outside linebackers aren't rushing the QB. I think Bob has some tricks up his sleeve or he's got less football knowledge than my peewee coach did back in 1979."

Unfortunately, the poor bastards think he's holding back the good defense with all kinds of wrinkles for the stronger teams on the schedule. Little do they know that this is Bob's defense. Sorry my Husker friends, welcome to Hell.

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, zoogs said:

Do we say nice things here about our former coaches? Zero percent worried about what UConn fans have to say about their fired ex-coach.

I like Solich and wish him well. I don't even have a problem with Callahan. He recruited his arse off even if he didn't fit our culture. 

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Here's one thing that is concerning and has nothing to do with a vanilla defense.

Two separate plays.  Two different OLB.  Both literally stay in one place for an inordinate amount of time.  To stand there and do nothing is about the most un-natural thing a defensive player can do.  Why would they be coached to do this?

Every play that ASU ran was an RPO.  The LBs had to watch first to see if the QB handed the ball off to the RB, if not they then had to move to cover their pass coverage responsibility.  In the Newby clip above, the QB was throwing the ball almost immediately after he pulled the ball from the RB's belly.  I am going to assume that a lot of teams will try to defend ASU's offense by manning up.  We probably didn't want to put our young CBs in a new system in that position this early.

• Plus1 2