1998 Season Opener

I remember a couple of 9-4 and one 5-7 season in recent years where we had this kind of scare. Happened with some regularity, eh?

None of us were super thrilled about any of those seasons. If you had sky-high expectations now would be the time to adjust them to reality a little bit.

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Oh, I remember fans freaking out and looking around for other signs of the apocalypse.  

1996?  How did fans treat Scott Frost after losing in the desert?  

Against the eventual 11-1 Pac10 Champion that year? Yeah, because that's a direct parallel to ASU winning the Sun Belt... 

giphy.webp

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Oh, I remember fans freaking out and looking around for other signs of the apocalypse.  

1996?  How did fans treat Scott Frost after losing in the desert?  

I will never forget that. They treated him like garbage. Pure garbage. Torches and pitchforks. No wonder he didnt come back. I wouldnt have. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, alwayshusking said:

Troy Edwards still holds the single game receiving yards record from that day.

I was there as well.  Troy Edwards was perhaps the fastest player I ever remember watching play on Memorial stadium turf.  He simply outran our secondary over and over and over.  Nobody could run with him.  He was probably a step or two faster than Bobby Newcombe in the 100.   Amazing.  George Darlington did not refuse to take questions after that game either.  Of course we won the game and were never in real jeopardy of losing but it was an amazing passing display.  Last night reminded me of that, except most of Edwards' catches were long bombs.  He simply took off down field on the good old 'fly pattern' and the QB threw the ball up high and long and he ran under it and away from the defenders.   

40 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

I will never forget that. They treated him like garbage. Pure garbage. Torches and pitchforks. No wonder he didnt come back. I wouldnt have. 

Yes the fans did not welcome Mr. Frost with open arms after the debacle in the Arizona desert.   But, there were plenty of folks who were not all that eager to welcome him BACK to Nebraska after he snubbed the Huskers the first time.  He turned us down to go play QB for Bill Walsh as he had visions of being the next Joe Montana.   So, on his return, many were willing to forgive until in his first triumphant start, he throws the ball on the ground and we stunk up the field, sinking our three peat out of the gate.  And had he come to Nebraska as a freshman, we likely would have won 4 straight as he would not have been a transfer former safety moved to play QB.  He quickly became known as "Frosty the throwman" and many wondered if the team would have literally tossed him off the plane on the way back from Arizona.   His role in the Lawrence Phillips story doesn't help his legacy either.   But for most, foregiveness has come and its just history now.  

This one was more like the 2013 season opener/wake up call. Wyoming came to Memorial Stadium, put over 600 yards on the Huskers and lost by only 3. Huskers returned a lot of talent that year. It was Martinez senior season and supposedly a make or break year for Pelini and the Husker players pretty much admitted Wyoming wanted the game more. I thought that was pretty weird for a season opener at home.