Bright Spots

There is certainly a lot of negativity in this forum (and others on Huskerboard), and after last night's game, I am certainly disappointed in some of what I saw at the game, mostly on the defensive side.  With that said, I did find a few brights that will hopefully continue into next week.

1.  Tre Bryant-The guy is a beast and never quits.  I wish they would have tried to use the screen with him more, but the one time the screen pass was tried to a RB, it lost yards and the offense never went back to it.

2.  Tanner Lee-For the first time since 2008, we have a real passing QB at Nebraska.  With the exception of 2 throws, almost everything was spot on, including a few times when he was under pressure.   He also is more mobile than I expected in that he was able to get away from a rush a couple of times.  

3.  Caleb Lightbourn-Definitely showed the most improvement in game 1, and continued to punt the ball where it needed to be punted.  He set up the safety NU got in the 2nd half.  

4.   In 2016 Iowa lost to a team in a lower division than Arkansas State (North Dakota State), and yet Iowa still managed to have a good season and handled Nebraska easily.   If Diaco is as good as some on here think he is, then Nebraska can turn around their defense as well.  As I was watching the game in person last night, I kept seeing young players on defense, including Lamar Jackson, the Davis Twins, Deontre Thomas, Mohammed Barry, etc.. We played many underclassmen on defense, and many of which have little playing time, so I am trying to take that into consideration when evaluating their poor performance.

• Plus1 4

I saw our DL, Davis and Freedom IIRC, get their hands up when rushing.  Don't think I've seen that since SUH.

Caleb did a great job.

Spielman was legit on that KO return. 

DPE looks bigger and solid as a rock.

IIRC, 7 different guys made receptions.

O overall looked much better than the D.

Tanner goes without saying.

True ran with authority, was patient yet decisive.  Hope he stays healthy.

10 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Deontre Thomas.  I saw a few nice quick spurts out of him breaking through - including the second to last play of the game when he came very close to a sack.  For a young kid, in that sort of pressure situation, I was impressed.  I'm psyched to see him grow in our program.

IIRC, for his limited play, he led the DL with 3 tackles (asst)

I'd go way, way before 2008. Lee's head and shoulders the best arm we've had since maybe ever. Zac Lee was promising but not quite at this level. We had effective passing QBs before that, but prototypical NFL passing QB is another story.

Whether Tanner can put it all together, remain healthy, etc remains to be seen. He's the first of his kind at Nebraska in the modern era. Hopefully he's not the last.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I'd go way, way before 2008. Lee's head and shoulders the best arm we've had since maybe ever. Zac Lee was promising but not quite at this level. We had effective passing QBs before that, but prototypical NFL passing QB is another story.

Whether Tanner can put it all together, remain healthy, etc remains to be seen. He's the first of his kind at Nebraska in the modern era. Hopefully he's not the last.

Yeah I think you have to go back to Ferragamo. 

We've had some great college QBs of course to run the system but it looks effortless when Tanner throws the ball.

Besides the obvious of Trey, Lee, and Morgan....

The versatility in our running game. We had guards pulling, tight ends pulling, an all around back and a scat back, and we had jet sweeps. We haven't even seen Oz, Bradley, or Mazour.

Lamar Jackson. I was really worried about him manning a side. Last year was rough. And though this game wasn't absolutely definitive of anything, Lamar was perhaps our best player in coverage yesterday, besides maybe the safeties.

The run D. AkSt hardly ran it, but we looked solid up front when they did. Deontre looks to be a great get. 

Luke Gifford. He needs to be a starter and playing the vast majority of snaps at OLB.

41 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Besides the obvious of Trey, Lee, and Morgan....

The versatility in our running game. We had guards pulling, tight ends pulling, an all around back and a scat back, and we had jet sweeps. We haven't even seen Oz, Bradley, or Mazour.

Lamar Jackson. I was really worried about him manning a side. Last year was rough. And though this game wasn't absolutely definitive of anything, Lamar was perhaps our best player in coverage yesterday, besides maybe the safeties.

The run D. AkSt hardly ran it, but we looked solid up front when they did. Deontre looks to be a great get. 

Luke Gifford. He needs to be a starter and playing the vast majority of snaps at OLB.

Mazour was out