2017-2018 Season Notes

7 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

these injuries could swing games NU's way.. the problem with that is we end up going to the dance and once again lose in the first round... because we don't really belong.

We the right coach, this team could be top 30 team, with Miles not so much.

Lets also remember who recruited and got this talent here.

I get Miles hasnt lived up to what we thought he could be and his in-game coaching/offensive strategy has really sucked, but I personally think he has done a lot for this program and this is his most talented team. I think saying top 30 with another coach is a bit of a stretch but I think you have to let Miles go if they dont at least make the dance.

Talented team+ Big Ten is way down + Injuries to other teams.

13 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Lets also remember who recruited and got this talent here.

I get Miles hasnt lived up to what we thought he could be and his in-game coaching/offensive strategy has really sucked, but I personally think he has done a lot for this program and this is his most talented team. I think saying top 30 with another coach is a bit of a stretch but I think you have to let Miles go if they dont at least make the dance.

Talented team+ Big Ten is way down + Injuries to other teams.

.. after year what 5 or 6 he finally got a decent team. Bill Callahan was able to recruit very well at NU, but couldn't coach them to save his live. The job requires more than just recruiting.

is this what we can expect from Miles every 4-5 years he will have a decent team? it sure seems that way, look at his career, though he was smart at a couple places and left after only 2-3 years.

Edited by Bornhusker
3 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

.. after year what 5 or 6 he finally got a decent team. Bill Callahan was able to recruit very well at NU, but couldn't coach them to save his live. The job requires more than just recruiting.

is this what we can expect from Miles every 4-5 years he will have a decent team? it sure seems that way, look at his career, though he was smart at a couple places and left after only 2-3 years.

Not defending Miles, he has been a disappointment. My point was he finally has a talented team(his own fault it took this long) and so lets see what he can do with actual talent.

I assume he will underachieve and Moos will have to decide at that point if we cut him or see if it changes.

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Not defending Miles, he has been a disappointment. My point was he finally has a talented team(his own fault it took this long) and so lets see what he can do with actual talent.

I assume he will underachieve and Moos will have to decide at that point if we cut him or see if it changes.

It's ok even if you were defending him. I don't have a problem with people thinking he is doing good, though I will argue that isn't 100% true. :)

1 hour ago, Bornhusker said:

It's ok even if you were defending him. I don't have a problem with people thinking he is doing good, though I will argue that isn't 100% true. :)

Its tough because I really like Timmy and I want him to do well.

I think he has done a good job of building the program name up and getting talent here. His offensive system constantly fails the guys he has and he only seems to be able to recruit slashers.

I just worry that the next guy we get wont be much better or who will truly want this job?

Not sure, just holding out hope we figure it out.

I am still so shocked at how bad the conference is this year (Who was the poster that kept trying to argue something about the front of the jersey not mattering or something like that) NU is poised to get into the dance.

From there it will depend on the match up.  What they need in the dance is a team that has a PG similar to Watson, they can't get stuck playing a team that has a PG that breaks you down of the dribble.  They also need to match up vs a team that doesn't have a true big man.

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am still so shocked at how bad the conference is this year (Who was the poster that kept trying to argue something about the front of the jersey not mattering or something like that) NU is poised to get into the dance.

From there it will depend on the match up.  What they need in the dance is a team that has a PG similar to Watson, they can't get stuck playing a team that has a PG that breaks you down of the dribble.  They also need to match up vs a team that doesn't have a true big man.

I wish Watson could take that next step. We will need him to play well if we want to get our first NCAA tourney win. He isn't shooting well at all this year, and distributing the ball isn't all that great either. Hopefully he can turn it on this last part of the year. 

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

I wish Watson could take that next step. We will need him to play well if we want to get our first NCAA tourney win. He isn't shooting well at all this year, and distributing the ball isn't all that great either. Hopefully he can turn it on this last part of the year. 

I know what you mean but I think that he doesn't have a next step.  He was ranked where he was in HS for a reason, he has a great old man PG game and if he was in a lesser conference he would look like a star but in the Big Ten he is just a nice quality starting PG and there is nothing wrong with that but he just isn't that freak PG that can break down a defense.  

For all of Tai Websters faults he could break down a D and get to the rim.  Watson just isn't that guy.

22 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

It might be worth some experimentation to see how Watson responds to coming off the bench, and letting Thomas Allen start. 

I would like to see those two play more together. I think Watson is trying to figure out how to get his own shot with guys like Copeland and Palmer making their own shot and not really passing a ton.

Watson is either 3 points or 25 points it seems like.