2017-2018 Season Notes

55 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I know what you mean but I think that he doesn't have a next step.  He was ranked where he was in HS for a reason, he has a great old man PG game and if he was in a lesser conference he would look like a star but in the Big Ten he is just a nice quality starting PG and there is nothing wrong with that but he just isn't that freak PG that can break down a defense.  

For all of Tai Websters faults he could break down a D and get to the rim.  Watson just isn't that guy.

He was 76th player overall. The highest rated recruit we've ever had 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I would like to see those two play more together. I think Watson is trying to figure out how to get his own shot with guys like Copeland and Palmer making their own shot and not really passing a ton.

Watson is either 3 points or 25 points it seems like.

He rode the struggle bus last night, that's for certain. 

21 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He was 76th player overall. The highest rated recruit we've ever had 

Yep...your top 25-30 guys are usually your freaks...

He probably got a little bump up in the rankings because of where he played his high school ball.  But he was never the elite athlete and sometimes it shows.  I like his game and I think as a senior with those other pieces around him you will see him play his best ball.

55 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Its hard to run motion offense when Taylor is standing around and Palmer comes though runs into Taylor.  Allen had no asst., steels or rebounds.  He created his own shot.   That is what a shooting guard does.

But he was more productive on the scoresheet, which a majority of the team struggled with last night, Watson probably the most. 

2 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Its hard to run motion offense when Taylor is standing around and Palmer comes though runs into Taylor.  Allen had no asst., steels or rebounds.  He created his own shot.   That is what a shooting guard does.

Taylor should be an "off the bench" option only. I love what Allen has been doing but his game is also very close to Watson. Gill gives you a shooting option that i think would add some nice balance.

Cant remember what game it was where Taylor had like 3-4 open 3's.. Our offense could be great for a guy who can hit an open shot because of the slashing abilities.

I really think Watson needs to work on moving without the ball and getting open looks. Allen does that well.

Still a bit surprised that McVeigh is on a milk carton. I get that he plays the 3/4 and we have an abundance of guys there but with the slashing ability, you would think a guy who can hit a corner 3 would be able to get some minutes.

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Taylor should be an "off the bench" option only. I love what Allen has been doing but his game is also very close to Watson. Gill gives you a shooting option that i think would add some nice balance.

Cant remember what game it was where Taylor had like 3-4 open 3's.. Our offense could be great for a guy who can hit an open shot because of the slashing abilities.

I really think Watson needs to work on moving without the ball and getting open looks. Allen does that well.

Still a bit surprised that McVeigh is on a milk carton. I get that he plays the 3/4 and we have an abundance of guys there but with the slashing ability, you would think a guy who can hit a corner 3 would be able to get some minutes.

The problem with McVeigh is that he is a HUGE on-ball defensive liability.  He's too slow to guard 3's when they drive and not strong enough to guard 4's in the post.  He does provide a spark on the offensive end.  The problem is that he can give you a quick 6 points, but he gives up 8.  He is really good at help defense because he's got quick hands, but everyone just gives the ball to his man because his first step is slow or they can just back him down for an easy layup.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am still so shocked at how bad the conference is this year (Who was the poster that kept trying to argue something about the front of the jersey not mattering or something like that) NU is poised to get into the dance.

From there it will depend on the match up.  What they need in the dance is a team that has a PG similar to Watson, they can't get stuck playing a team that has a PG that breaks you down of the dribble.  They also need to match up vs a team that doesn't have a true big man.

yeah 2 top 5 teams and most predictions being 6 possibly 8 teams in the dance.  Not the best the conference has been in recent history but this sells job is getting old.