2017-2018 Season Notes

13 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

So essentially what you're saying is the people who understand the game of basketball and watched the team all year long without seeing real improvement were correct in their criticisms of the team's performance? And the people who hopped on the bandwagon after 20 wins who bashed the people that watched the games all year long for their criticisms don't actually know what they're talking about? 

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you. 

I dont know. I think this team was far better than last years team but that was because they had better players.

This team has struggled to win games it should in the past and it overcame that this year. I think for a stretch, they did look like an NCAA team. The last few games, they didnt but at a point, they looked dang good.

That is more a testament to Palmer putting the team on his back.

I can say the only thing that Miles truly did to improve the system they ran was the 1-3-1 zone and figuring out how to stop the 3 ball better. They were awful a few years ago and seemed to get better at closing out on the shooter. 

I do think the team improved as the year went on. I do think they team improved from last year. I dont think that was because of coaching changing or improving. It was because of the guys getting more experience with one another.

The Miles sunshine pushers are one extreme but Seaofred92 is so dang negative. Dude, regardless of our soft schedule, we won a lot of games. Try to enjoy that a little bit.

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

The Miles sunshine pushers are one extreme but Seaofred92 is so dang negative. Dude, regardless of our soft schedule, we won a lot of games. Try to enjoy that a little bit.

I don't want to be negative and I apologize if my criticisms come off that way. I want us to win every game we play and obviously want Tim Miles to do well. I'm also just trying to provide a point of emotionless evaluation of the team because unfortunately a lot of people got caught up in the win total and thought "hey this team is pretty good!" when in reality the statistics show otherwise. 

I think a lot of the people view this as such a successful season is because of the poor past 3 seasons. So I do agree with the premise that we have improved over those seasons but the reality is we almost set the school record for losses in a season three years in a row. I just think when you put this season into context and you look at the games we played that really mattered, it was obvious that Miles was outclassed and the team was unprepared (minus Michigan and I guess Minnesota 1). This is unfortunate in my view because I was nervous it was going to make Moos lock up Miles to a long term deal and we would be stuck with this mediocre/sub mediocre team for the foreseeable future. Thankfully, Mr. Moos appears to be cautious about doing just that.  

• Plus1 4
21 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I don't want to be negative and I apologize if my criticisms come off that way. I want us to win every game we play and obviously want Tim Miles to do well. I'm also just trying to provide a point of emotionless evaluation of the team because unfortunately a lot of people got caught up in the win total and thought "hey this team is pretty good!" when in reality the statistics show otherwise. 

I think a lot of the people view this as such a successful season is because of the poor past 3 seasons. So I do agree with the premise that we have improved over those seasons but the reality is we almost set the school record for losses in a season three years in a row. I just think when you put this season into context and you look at the games we played that really mattered, it was obvious that Miles was outclassed and the team was unprepared (minus Michigan and I guess Minnesota 1). This is unfortunate in my view because I was nervous it was going to make Moos lock up Miles to a long term deal and we would be stuck with this mediocre/sub mediocre team for the foreseeable future. Thankfully, Mr. Moos appears to be cautious about doing just that.  

But last year, we would have won 16 to 18 games.   This team was better.  We need to keep players for more than 1 year. 

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Final 4.

Beat one team by 20, lost to same team by 20.

Lost to one team by 1 on a buzzer beater.

Didn’t play the other teams.

In all honesty, we weren’t that far away from

being a dangerous squad.

Your positives hinge on one key omitted thing.  Home game.  I’d look a hell of a lot more at the neutral court ass kicking

3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Final 4.

being a dangerous squad.

We are dangerous.

A lot of teams are dangerous.

We aren't consistent enough to really be a threat long-term.

• Plus1 1
On 3/26/2018 at 6:33 PM, ScottyIce said:

Final 4.

being a dangerous squad.

Goodluck getting them to play the NCAA tournament at PBA....otherwise we weren't/aren't dangerous. 

• Plus1 1