Tre Bryant

REDFANATIC

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

So, are we allowed to criticize the 31 carries now, or not?

I would say most likely. The reason I say that is it was mentioned that Tre had swelling in his knee the day following the Arky St. game and Riley played it off as a normal thing for him. Knowing that I would think you would try to somewhat limit his carries in the first game. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, RedSavage said:

I don't think the coaches had much choice but to keep giving Tre the rock.   From what limited action we've seen from Wilbon, the dropoff seems to be pretty substantial between Tre and the other backs.  

I think Wilbon has done ok when he runs the ball.  Just hasn't had many opportunities and I don't think they have called plays to his strengths 

13 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

31 carries didn't cause it.  Otherwise, Justin Jackson from Northwestern wouldn't have bum knees, he would be dead.

I never said it caused it. Only that it's stupid to give a guy who came out of fall camp with a bum knee 31 carries in his first game against a very beatable team.

*edit*

Also, I didn't even know he had a bum knee, but thought he should be pulled and rested in the third quarter when he went over 20 carries. Tre is a great back and we need him in the big games down the road, not wasted on some powderpuff team.

The only reason Wilbon, Ozigbo, Bradley, Rose, and Mazour haven't had carries in the game is because the coaches decided they want to play one running back. They wanted to do this when they first arrived in Lincoln and they finally decided to ignore the depth chart and just run one back. THERE IS OTHER TALENT. Bryant isn't the only decent back.

They haven't given Wilbon a shot in his career. They haven't even given him carriers during rare garbage time but he's shown flashes the few carriers he's had. Ozigbo on the other hand has played, has tape, and we can judge for ourselves. 

Ozigbo tape:

It still seems a bit premature to suggest Wilbon somehow hasn't been given a fair shake. Bryant being dinged up might be the opportunity he needs but, clearly, something has been holding Wilbon back. I'm inclined to believe it's more on his shoulders than the coaches. He's been OK in the limited playing time he has had.

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Has anyone pointed out that Bryant went out of the game with a hurt knee because he was tackled and it was bent weirdly?  Had nothing to do with the number of carries he had versus Arkansas St or Oregon.  Could have happened to any RB.

Just my opinion, but that fall/tackle didn't seem too out of the ordinary. It might have been a little weird. That said, I think a pre-existing condition had a lot more to do with it than the number of carries, but one could certainly make the argument that the more carries you give a player like that the greater the chance of aggravating the injury. I thought it was strange that particular tackle resulted him having to be carried off the field. I haven't seen that happen very often.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

It still seems a bit premature to suggest Wilbon somehow hasn't been given a fair shake. Bryant being dinged up might be the opportunity he needs but, clearly, something has been holding Wilbon back. I'm inclined to believe it's more on his shoulders than the coaches. He's been OK in the limited playing time he has had.

Just my opinion, but that fall/tackle didn't seem too out of the ordinary. It might have been a little weird. That said, I think a pre-existing condition had a lot more to do with it than the number of carries, but one could certainly make the argument that the more carries you give a player like that the greater the chance of aggravating the injury. I thought it was strange that particular tackle resulted him having to be carried off the field. I haven't seen that happen very often.

There is nothing ordinary about being tackled in a pile like that.  

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

There is nothing ordinary about being tackled in a pile like that.  

I can't find a game replay up on YouTube or anywhere yet, but watching it live, I didn't think the tackle/fall that resulted in him being helped off the field was that unusual. I feel like I see those kinds of plays all the time.

10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The problem was his injured leg was the first thing down and the rest of his body weight came down on it.  Not particularly vicious but put a lot of stress on the knee.

UXnoFf2.png

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

The problem was his injured leg was the first thing down and the rest of his body weight came down on it.  Not particularly vicious but put a lot of stress on the knee.

UXnoFf2.png

Thanks for the screengrab, Mav.

That was my perspective - it doesn't seem like an overly unusual fall, but the way it happened (in conjunction with an already bad knee) probably did him no favors.