Tre Bryant

REDFANATIC

7 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think Wilbon has done ok when he runs the ball.  Just hasn't had many opportunities and I don't think they have called plays to his strengths 

But that's the thing, he's done just ok.  Plus, I think when he's in the game, it makes the play calling much more predictable - pretty much a screen pass or a running play (until Tre went down).  Maybe I exaggerated a bit in saying the drop off is significant but there's drop-off none the less and that's why Tre has been the go to guy.  The coaches didn't want the offense to be hamstrung by having to limit their play calling.

26 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

There was nothing overly unusual about DPE celebrating a TD 2 years ago and destroying his leg either.  But it happened.

The fact remains that the medical and coaching staff know more and know better than anyone on here about a players health and workload capabilities.  

DPE didn't have a pre-existing issue that I can recall, so I'm not sure I understand the analogy unless your point is 'crap happens.' To that angle, I agree.

As for your second line, I also agree. It's up to them to know what workload to give a player. Bryant has been battling leg problems for awhile now and I think it's pretty clear after that play last weekend that he should be monitored closely. One funky cut or a helmet pad to the knee could be even more detrimental.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Has anyone pointed out that Bryant went out of the game with a hurt knee because he was tackled and it was bent weirdly?  Had nothing to do with the number of carries he had versus Arkansas St or Oregon.  Could have happened to any RB.

It still doesn't excuse the lack of awarness by the coaches. Just continuing the trend.

27 minutes ago, Enhance said:

DPE didn't have a pre-existing issue that I can recall, so I'm not sure I understand the analogy unless your point is 'crap happens.' To that angle, I agree.

As for your second line, I also agree. It's up to them to know what workload to give a player. Bryant has been battling leg problems for awhile now and I think it's pretty clear after that play last weekend that he should be monitored closely. One funky cut or a helmet pad to the knee could be even more detrimental.

And you assume the player, coaches, and medical staff haven't evaluated his knee to know the limitations.  

I really don't think there's an issue of having capable talent. It seems this is more an issue of coaches finding a player and sticking with him. RB depth seems like it's being managed the same way the OLine is (no rotating). We would have never seen Farniok on the field if Knevel wouldn't have gone down. There was a chance with the last coaching staff that we would have never seen Lavonte play unless Sean Fisher had go down. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys can do when really given a shot.

The interesting thing to me is it's a fairly significant difference between the previous approach to the running back position. Sam McKewon broke it down in this article that ColoradoHusk tweeted out earlier.

Bryant has 88 percent of the running back carries this season. Wilbon has 9 percent. The other two carries belong to Luke McNitt. That’s two more than third-stringer Devine Ozigbo, who has 135 career carries and zero this year.

It’s a big change from 2015, when lead rusher Terrell Newby had 42.2 percent of the running back carries, and 2016, when Newby had 54.7 percent.

And it diverges from most of the Big Ten, too. Wisconsin’s lead rusher has 41.6 percent of the running back carries. At Michigan State, it’s 48.5 percent. Iowa is 72.2 percent for Akrum Wadley. Northwestern is 68.5 percent for Justin Jackson. Ohio State is 80.7 percent for freshman running back J.K. Dobbins.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

And you assume the player, coaches, and medical staff haven't evaluated his knee to know the limitations.  

No, I assume the coaching staff is intelligent enough to think about the big picture. I should know they're not though. I like these guys, and Langs is not a bad OC, but they just lack attention to detail in so many areas. It's a simple thing. Have a guy keep an eye on number of carries and pull him early. RBs don't make it through a whole season without missing some games, we all know that. Son why wouldn't you protect one of your best players, who happens to be a RB, a little better?