Where is the confidence coming from?

I am aware that there are many who think we have a legitimate shot at beating Oregon.

I'm trying to understand logically how someone arrives at that conclusion. We got torched last week to the tune of nearly 500 yards whilst having to hang on for dear life against Arkansas State.

In the face of the above, and considering our next opponent has a plethora of athletes much better than Arkansas State along with a prolific offense built to spread the ball around like wildfire and exploit the same mismatches and weaknesses that Arkansas State did, I'm trying to understand  how on earth there is an expectation that we can even be COMPETITIVE in this game let alone win it?

What quantifiable things am I missing?

What should make me hope for something other than another embarrassing smackdown on national TV?

• Plus1 2
  • speedtoburn changed the title to Where is the confidence coming from?

Reasons for concern would be

- the ability for an inferior offense to Oregon to move the ball at will.  

- Inconsistent offensive production

- youth on the road

- new systems both sides.

- gave up big plays on special teams. 

I hope we play better. It it is not hard to see why people are worried this could turn into a 3 score loss.  

Reasons for optimism

- better QB

- explosive plays in pass game

- multiple offense to exploit weakness in ducks defense.   

- explosive plays in kickoff game 

- unknowns on offense and defense.  High ceiling for both sides and last week was just a stepping stone.  

I see us losing a fairly competitive game on Eugene.  I hope I am wrong and we play like I think we can but I am skeptical until we prove it.  GBR!

Because there really isn't anything to compare and our defense should play better? How can they watch film of that game and not improve? Tighter coverage alone would make a difference.

Our offense is also full of talented guys who have hardly scratched the surface of what they're capable of doing. We have the ability to have fresh legs in the running game at all times.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, speedtoburn said:

I am aware that there are many who think we have a legitimate shot at beating Oregon.

I'm trying to understand logically how someone arrives at that conclusion. We got torched last week to the tune of nearly 500 yards whilst having to hang on for dear life against Arkansas State.

In the face of the above, and considering our next opponent has a plethora of athletes much better than Arkansas State along with a prolific offense built to spread the ball around like wildfire and exploit the same mismatches and weaknesses that Arkansas State did, I'm trying to understand  how on earth there is an expectation that we can even be COMPETITIVE in this game let alone win it?

What quantifiable things am I missing?

What should make me hope for something other than another embarrassing smackdown on national TV?

Oregon played a team in a lower division and gave up 21 points in the first half.   Nebraska's defense gave up 27 total.  Yes they gave up a sh#t load of yards but last time I checked yards alone don't win a game.  Arky state has multiple power 5 and Juco transfers that are talented.  Should we have beat them by more? Yes.  Does all of this mean we can't beat Oregon? No.  If you watched any of Oregon's highlights you can tell Utah school for the ungifted is not very good on defense.  They were scoring from 20 yards + without even being touched.  The defense was over pursuing and out of position and unathletic.  Is our defense great?  Nope.  But I'm willing to bet they will be more prepared for Oregon and this game will be closer than most think...... in our favor