Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

27 minutes ago, Whistlebritches said:

and they'll get to run against the Dems raising taxes.

Trump's tax cuts are becoming even more unpopular.

There is broad belief the wealthy and corporations pay too little in taxes and wealth distribution in the U.S. is unfair.

I'm not sure it's a bad thing to run on? Last time somebody raised taxes (let them expire), they used the revenue to finance healthcare for people.

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure I agree completely. Yes, Trump is mostly doing this as vendetta against the The Washington Post, which is very much in line with Putin. But the lack of transparency in the Amazon-Post Office deal should raise concerns, from the link:

Details of Amazon’s contract with the Postal Service are secret, making it difficult for financial experts to assess claims about the relationship. Amazon has said that publicly releasing the contract, which contains detailed information on the company’s delivery systems, would give competitors an unfair advantage.

I don't trust either Trump or Jeff Bezos, so while I think we should continue to push back on Trump for his attacks against the media and his vendetta-driven agenda, we should also not assume the other side is innocent or without fault. If Trump had wanted to end the deal because of its lack of transparency, then I'd be ok with that reasoning. (Although Trump's actions have already made clear that's not why he's against the deal.)

Tax cuts = stock buybacks & closed plants   - While some companies immediately gave bonuses to employees after the corp tax cut, many companies

reinvested that money back into the company by buying back shares.  In some cases, as wt Harley Davidson, plants were also closed and jobs shifted -

but Trump didn't boast of this.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/22/17350180/harley-davidson-tax-buyback-kansas-city-factory

• Plus1 1

I got a bonus. But I calculated that the total amount of the bonuses was 10% of what the company will save, just this year, due to the tax cuts.

It kinda reminds me of when Wal-mart gives to charity. It always sounds really good because it's a big chunk of $ but there have been studies showing that small businesses give a higher %.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I got a bonus. But I calculated that the total amount of the bonuses was 10% of what the company will save, just this year, due to the tax cuts.

It kinda reminds me of when Wal-mart gives to charity. It always sounds really good because it's a big chunk of $ but there have been studies showing that small businesses give a higher %.

Either you are the CFO or you are much better than anyone else at being able to know what affects a tax bill will have on a company.  We had to go out to our hired CPAs to do an analysis on it.  The tax percentage wasn't the only thing that changed.

Not saying your opinion of your bonus is wrong.  But, the "10%" very well could be off.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Either you are the CFO or you are much better than anyone else at being able to know what affects a tax bill will have on a company.  We had to go out to our hired CPAs to do an analysis on it.  The tax percentage wasn't the only thing that changed.

Not saying your opinion of your bonus is wrong.  But, the "10%" very well could be off.

Ok - the bonuses were around 10% of the tax reduction $ amount.