Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder what the smart business move is here. Talking to Trump doesn't seem to work. But moving production sounds like an expensive prospect. i.e. - what are the chances they move production and wait out this idiocy, then up and move it back? Could a big group of them just say they're going to do it, and see what happens?

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interestingly....I remember a time when Democrats would have stood up and cheered at a politician claiming they were going to "tax the crap out of" a company that closes a factory and moves the jobs to another country.

I don't think it's that interesting, nor do I remember that happening, but maybe you have examples I'm not aware of. There's a difference between cheering a policy of taxing companies for outsourcing and cheering singling out 1 company that upset the president in order to punish them, when that company was pushed to outsource due to plain idiocy by said president.

As a matter of policy, I'm okay with taxing companies that outsource.

I'm also ok with your avg Joe spouting off the way Trump does about Amazon and Harley Davidson.

What isn't ok is the president of the United States selectively going after individual companies he doesn't like, because he's a vindictive asshole.

Another thing I don't like is obviously stupid policies that force more companies into thinking they have to make a move like this.

There is a huge difference between wanting all companies that outsource to pay extra taxes for it, and selectively picking on one company because they shined a negative light on your idiotic tariffs.

It's not hypocritical to think Trump is utterly wrong to say this and try to go after 1 company, and at the same time support a policy of taxing companies that outsource.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think it's that interesting, nor do I remember that happening, but maybe you have examples I'm not aware of. There's a difference between cheering a policy of taxing companies for outsourcing and cheering singling out 1 company that upset the president in order to punish them, when that company was pushed to outsource due to plain idiocy by said president.

As a matter of policy, I'm okay with taxing companies that outsource.

I'm also ok with your avg Joe spouting off the way Trump does about Amazon and Harley Davidson.

What isn't ok is the president of the United States selectively going after individual companies he doesn't like, because he's a vindictive asshole.

Another thing I don't like is obviously stupid policies that force more companies into thinking they have to make a move like this.

There is a huge difference between wanting all companies that outsource to pay extra taxes for it, and selectively picking on one company because they shined a negative light on your idiotic tariffs.

It's not hypocritical to think Trump is utterly wrong to say this and try to go after 1 company, and at the same time support a policy of taxing companies that outsource.

It has been a Democrat mantra for decades to punish companies that outsource jobs.

In fact, I believe it's one of Bernie Sanders' main points he pushes for.

And, to be fair...even though I don't want to be.....Trump didn't say this was the only company he was going to "tax the crap out of" for doing this.  In fact, he has said repeatedly that companies that outsource will be taxed heavily.

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It has been a Democrat mantra for decades to punish companies that outsource jobs.

In fact, I believe it's one of Bernie Sanders' main points he pushes for.

And, to be fair...even though I don't want to be.....Trump didn't say this was the only company he was going to "tax the crap out of" for doing this.  In fact, he has said repeatedly that companies that outsource will be taxed heavily.

Yes it has, and I didn't argue it hasn't. It has been what Democrats think the policy should be in general. But that doesn't mean it's interesting or hypocritical that they are against the statement. Everyone should be against the statement regardless of what they feel about whether all companies that outsource should be taxed extra.

Democrats don't think it should be applied specifically to individual companies who embarrass them. Do you disagree with the differences I pointed out?

It doesn't even matter if Trump has said it about outsourcing in general. That's fine. That's not the problem people have with the statement.

How can you think the following is the same and is not singling them out, just like he did with Amazon? It is not in the same ballpark as stating a policy for companies in general. The problem Democrats and others have with it has nothing to do with a policy of taxing companies like them. Everyone, regardless of what they think of taxing outsourcing companies, should be repulsed by the statement. This isn't about a policy of taxing outsourcing. It's about him being personally pissed off at Harley Davidson. Similarly, he wouldn't give a s#!t about the USPS if it wasn't for his hatred or Bezos. It's not okay for the president to say things like this, and the possibility he might actually try it is something people should be concerned about.

A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!

41 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yes it has, and I didn't argue it hasn't. It has been what Democrats think the policy should be in general. But that doesn't mean it's interesting or hypocritical that they are against the statement. Everyone should be against the statement regardless of what they feel about whether all companies that outsource should be taxed extra.

Democrats don't think it should be applied specifically to individual companies who embarrass them. Do you disagree with the differences I pointed out?

It doesn't even matter if Trump has said it about outsourcing in general. That's fine. That's not the problem people have with the statement.

How can you think the following is the same and is not singling them out, just like he did with Amazon? It is not in the same ballpark as stating a policy for companies in general. The problem Democrats and others have with it has nothing to do with a policy of taxing companies like them. Everyone, regardless of what they think of taxing outsourcing companies, should be repulsed by the statement. This isn't about a policy of taxing outsourcing. It's about him being personally pissed off at Harley Davidson. Similarly, he wouldn't give a s#!t about the USPS if it wasn't for his hatred or Bezos. It's not okay for the president to say things like this, and the possibility he might actually try it is something people should be concerned about.

Again...it makes me sick defending Trump.

But, nothing in that statement makes me believe that he's only going to tax the crap out of HD.  In fact, he has said repeatedly ever since he got elected (of before) that companies who sport jobs should be taxed heavily.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Again...it makes me sick defending Trump.

But, nothing in that statement makes me believe that he's only going to tax the crap out of HD.  In fact, he has said repeatedly ever since he got elected (of before) that companies who sport jobs should be taxed heavily.

I guess you're not defending Trump if you just read the tweet differently. But it seems obvious to me from his past behavior with Amazon, and just his vindictive nature in general, that he's suggesting just HD get taxed as punishment. There isn't a way for him to do so right now, but he would do it if he could and find his desire to do things like this scary.

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think lots of countries will do this. We're forcing them to find out if they can do fine without us by making agreements with other countries. Meanwhile we're picking fights with everyone and going it alone. If they find out they're doing fine without us, why start up again with a country that might election another idiot?

18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think lots of countries will do this. We're forcing them to find out if they can do fine without us by making agreements with other countries. Meanwhile we're picking fights with everyone and going it alone. If they find out they're doing fine without us, why start up again with a country that might election another idiot?

They will not ultimately be fine without us.

The U.S. is too large of a consumer of global goods.

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'm not suggesting they'll end all trade with the U.S.  But they're being forced right now to find other opportunities, and some of those might stick.

8 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Except these retaliatory tariffs are on what we "export".  Not only will businesses be forced to outsource or close shop, American consumers will continue to buy foreign goods at inflated prices because of our President.

I just don't think the possible benefits are anywhere worth the risks Trump is taking.