Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

28 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Except these retaliatory tariffs are on what we "export".  Not only will businesses be forced to outsource or close shop, American consumers will continue to buy foreign goods at inflated prices because of our President.

I just don't think the possible benefits are anywhere worth the risks Trump is taking.  

I understand the retaliatory tariffs are on what we export.

But at least give a moment's thought that the U.S. is a big enough consumer that some producing countries are laughing all the way to the bank.

Ask wheat farmers how that worked back in, I think, the 70s when wheat was used as a negotiating tool.  Countries went elsewhere for their wheat and the American market hasn't really been the same since.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

They will not ultimately be fine without us.

The U.S. is too large of a consumer of global goods.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

But at least give a moment's thought that the U.S. is a big enough consumer that some producing countries are laughing all the way to the bank.

The problem isn't that all tariffs are bad or that we shouldn't be making changes to how we trade with some of our partners, but rather that there isn't a lot of long-term thinking going into any of this. Trump is just shooting from the hip and being more reactionary than well thought-out. If Trump and team came out with some semblance of a plan and how that plays out into the future, then they'd at least be worth listening to instead of the trade war via twitter we have now.

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

I have. That’s why I think this self imposed penalty on those goods is dumb.  If we don’t produce enough of a good to supply all the demand of US consumers, we shouldn’t impose a tariff on that good.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

The problem isn't that all tariffs are bad or that we shouldn't be making changes to how we trade with some of our partners, but rather that there isn't a lot of long-term thinking going into any of this. Trump is just shooting from the hip and being more reactionary than well thought-out. If Trump and team came out with some semblance of a plan and how that plays out into the future, then they'd at least be worth listening to instead of the trade war via twitter we have now.

I agree.  I wouldn't be surprised to see continuing modifications or exceptions.

Trump is accomplishing some things from his election agenda.

10 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I agree.  I wouldn't be surprised to see continuing modifications or exceptions.

Trump is accomplishing some things from his election agenda.

This is true.

And we are also seeing the damage and confusion that that election agenda can cause.  Just because he's "accomplishing" things doesn't make the pundits that warned of this wrong.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is true.

And we are also seeing the damage and confusion that that election agenda can cause.  Just because he's "accomplishing" things doesn't make the pundits that warned of this wrong.

Whether the "pundits" are right or wrong is correlated to whether they agree with the policies.

24 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Whether the "pundits" are right or wrong is correlated to whether they agree with the policies.

No, it isn't.

MSNBC is reporting that Harley Davidson is moving some manufacturing overseas.

FoxNews is reporting the same thing.

Steel is more expensive now no matter how it is reported. BRB has kept an eye on grain prices, that is consistent through media outlets.  Lumber has gone up.  These are facts, they are not at the mercy of political opinion.  We may disagree if it is good or bad, but I think a lot of Trump voters scoffed at the idea of Trump's trade policies costing Americans jobs and money even though there were warnings.  Right now, it is costing us money and jobs.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

No, it isn't.

MSNBC is reporting that Harley Davidson is moving some manufacturing overseas.

FoxNews is reporting the same thing.

Steel is more expensive now no matter how it is reported. BRB has kept an eye on grain prices, that is consistent through media outlets.  Lumber has gone up.  These are facts, they are not at the mercy of political opinion.  We may disagree if it is good or bad, but I think a lot of Trump voters scoffed at the idea of Trump's trade policies costing Americans jobs and money even though there were warnings.  Right now, it is costing us money and jobs.

So companies moving some jobs overseas is new and unique to the Trump administration?

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

So companies moving some jobs overseas is new and unique to the Trump administration?

A blue blood American company that Trump referenced multiple times on the campaign trail (and while in office) that he will help make "great again", that has publicly stated the decision to move was because of the tariffs, yes.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

No it’s not new. But when some pundits say the tariffs will cause a loss of jobs and some don’t. One side is right and one is wrong. 

It it has nothing to do with if they originally agreed with the policy.