Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, to me it flies in the face of anything conservative - govt intrusion into food choice, taking over a section of the economy (that was one of the grievances against Obamacare), hurts the little man grocery store - thus cuts across the ideas of free enterprise, individualist choice, & will most likely become a wasteful govt program - everything Trump ran against.  He is doing the same thing wt the SNAP program that he was critical of wt the ACA. 

My Quick one minute summary:

Issue                                            ACA             Trump SNAP Program

Mandates                                       Yes             Yes

Limits Choice                                 Yes              Yes

Can keep doctor/grocery             No               No

Promotes free enterprise             No               No

Govt over involved in private       Yes               Yes

sector

This food box idea is just plain stupid. 

This country is very large geographically with millions of people with different situations in life. They all purchase their food differently. 

Now we are going to take that entire food market over by the government and trust that food will get to everyone as needed?????

pure idiocy. 

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 3

22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know you were unaware of this before now....but, we live in strange times.  Just thought I would start letting you know.

The bolded part is very important to me.

How stupid is that!!   Then what the h... does he propose it.  This admin is so full of fake conservatives starting at the top.  Non-believers but deceivers. They got elected on a pretense and live out their true core values while in office and it shows everywhere.   You know the Biblical parable of a House Built on Sand - it applies to this group.  No core foundational principles except ones that drive power to them. 

• Plus1 1

I'm fine with a gas tax increase. We have bridges that are going to be falling. However...

Trump's pretty stupid, so when he was talking to people about this did he really mean a 25 cent "increase," or did he mean increase the tax to 25 cents?

The wording in the article is that it will increased by 25 cents, i.e. his idea is to make the tax 43.4 cents per gallon. But since he's bad at words I don't know if that's what he meant.

The tax is currently 18.4 cents. An increase to 25 cents would make a lot more... sense. Even that should be done gradually. Maybe 50 cents per year 'til it gets to 25.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, commando said:

25 cents per gallon will hit farmers where it hurts.   

IMO the purpose of a gas tax should be to have the people who use the roads most pay for them. Farmers aren't using the roads much for their business, so they could/should come up with something for them to give an exception. I'm assuming they use mostly diesel, so that would be a start.

Edit: looks like that already exists. From irs.gov:

You may be eligible to claim a credit or refund of excise taxes on fuel used on a farm for farming purposes. This applies if you are the owner, tenant, or operator of a farm. You can claim only a credit for the tax on gasoline used on a farm for farming purposes. You can claim either a credit or refund for the tax on aviation fuel used on a farm for farming purposes.

Edited by Moiraine
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is an amazing statement from the article 'header':

Interest payments on debt are set to push the deficit over $2 trillion in the next decade from its current $440 billion, according to the Committee for a Responsible Budget.

This guy claims to be a conservative :facepalm:.   All driven by Trump's budget director who 'was against the budget, before he was for the budget' as reflected in his contradictory statement in the previous post by BRB above.

"My view is that this fiscal expansion is probably the most foolhardy escapade in modern economic policy history," Albert Edwards, an ultra-bearish global strategist at Societe Generale, said in a client note Wednesday.

While agreeing that he felt U.S. corporate taxes were anomalously high, Edwards criticized the timing of the fiscal stimulus as "utterly ridiculous" and warns it "will only accelerate the collapse of U.S. financial markets as the Federal Reserve hikes rates even more quickly."

With the current growth picture in the U.S. — unemployment at a 17-year low and wages and company earnings steadily strengthening — a double-dose of fiscal stimulus is the last thing that is needed and threatens to seriously overheat the economy, numerous analysts and politicians are saying.

42 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

All driven by Trump's budget director who 'was against the budget, before he was for the budget' as reflected in his contradictory statement in the previous post by BRB above.

It was unreal to me to see Mulvaney admit that he wouldn't have voted for his own budget if he was still a member of Congress.

So strange. A Tea Party Republican in charge of the federal budget puts out this massive spending plan, while also requesting a $0 quarterly budget for the CFPB & basically piledriving the agency.

• Plus1 1

Something that I keep thinking about is interest rates and how they play into all of this.

I am a firm believer that one reason why our interest rates have been so low for so long is that our debt keeps rising.  Politically, it's not going to go over well if interest keeps taking up a larger portion of the budget.....which would happen if rates increased drastically.  So, they have been kept artificially so low to appease political figures.   It's been possible to keep them low because inflation has been in check.

Well....now....inflation may have been let out of it's cage and the feds are going to react to it at some point by raising interest rates.  We are already seeing Prime and mortgage rates inching up due to the bond market.

Well....if the feds and the bond market increase rates drastically, that's going to rip a nice big hole in our budget.  

Now....after typing that, it occurred to me that the Republicans obviously don't give a rip about the budget anymore.....so why the hell bother thinking about it.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 2

This article shows the striking contradiction that is Trump and his policies vs his rhetoric. 

He laments run a way spending but submits a budget that will add $8trillion to the public debt over the next 10 years.

In presenting a budget that would add $8.7 trillion to the federal debt over the next ten years, President Donald Trump noted that the “current fiscal path” the United States is following is “unsustainable.”

“The United States is laboring under the highest level of debt held by the public since shortly after the Second World War,” Trump said in his budget message to Congress, which was published Monday. "The current fiscal path is unsustainable and future generations deserve better.”

So what does he do

That means from Monday until the end of fiscal 2028, if the federal government follows the fiscal trajectory envisioned by President Trump’s budget proposal, the federal debt held by the public would climb $8.707 trillion, according to the estimate made by Trump's Office of Management and Budget.

When President Trump was inaugurated on Jan. 20, 2017, the full federal debt was $19.947. By Monday, it had risen by $727 billion to the current $20.674.

Thanks Obama indeed :sarcasm       I suspect Trump to outspend his predecessor while blaming Obama for the need to do so.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/trump-says-fiscal-path-unsustainable-proposes-87-trillion-new-debt

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

This article shows the striking contradiction that is Trump and his policies vs his rhetoric. 

He laments run a way spending but submits a budget that will add $8trillion to the public debt over the next 10 years.

So what does he do

Thanks Obama indeed :sarcasm       I suspect Trump to outspend his predecessor while blaming Obama for the need to do so.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/trump-says-fiscal-path-unsustainable-proposes-87-trillion-new-debt

Well, he does want to raise the gas tax 25 cents to pay for it.

Idiot!!!!