Urban sounds off on Herman and Muschamp

Mavric

Meyer said it drives him "insane" when coaches blame players they inherited from a previous staff.

The coach particularly took issue with Tom Herman at Texas and Will Muschamp, formerly at Florida and now at South Carolina.

Meyer pointed to a statement made Saturday by Herman (his former offensive coordinator at Ohio State) not being able to "sprinkle fairy dust" on the Longhorns team he inherited from Charlie Strong (Meyer's former defensive coordinator at Florida) following a loss to Maryland.

Meyer also said Muschamp "blamed us for Florida," referring to a perceived lack of talent left for Muschamp when Meyer departed before the 2011 season. 

"C'mon man. I don't know where that came from," Meyer told CBS Sports. "It's like a new generation of excuse. [Herman] said, 'I can't rub pixie dust on this thing.' He got a dose of reality. Maryland just scored 51 points on you."

CBS

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/urban-meyer-driven-insane-by-herman-muschamp-blaming-inherited-players/amp/

"That's like, when I got here, everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare," Meyer continued. "If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they'd be gone. You're done.

"Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players.

"You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely. I love you, and I'm going to kick the sh#t out of you, and we're going to do it right …

"[Blaming players] drives me insane."

I know most (ok, all) of you guys don't like Urban, but he made some strong statements towards Herman and Muschamp in this article. If nothing else, it was an interesting read for me.

• Plus1 2

I like Urban's point, but I don't think it's all that black and white. Coaching transitions can be really tough and I think it takes an elite coach or really good circumstances to have immediate success in year one. Immediate success can certainly have different definitions depending on one's perspective.

Some may view it as an excuse, but I think Riley is a good example. I don't think there's any question NU had depth issues in certain areas after BP left, and I don't think his philosophy mixed with the current talent on the team came together overly well. So, I think not having the right players or good enough players can matter, but the coach and their philosophy can also matter too.

• Plus1 1

All of his championships (or programs pinnacle seasons) have come within the first four years of arriving, using the majority of the previous coaching staffs players. It's no wonder he takes this stance. 

Since arriving in Columbus I have been curious what type of coach Urban would be at one school over a longer tenure than 6 seasons. He has twice immediately moved on when he guided a program to their pinnacle and then quit coaching when Florida tanked and was turning into a criminal dumpster fire.

He is a great coach, an obvious hall of fame coach, but we still haven't seen what he can do with a program over an extended period of time - with his own players.