Who should we hire

Fantasyland. Bob Stoops is r e t i r e d. The lol of this thread... 2 games in and we're calling for MR's head? The proof is in the pudding. Lay a turd (5-7) and he is gone, IMO. Break even or finish 7-5 during the regular season, he'll be here next year. Any more staff changes after this season, the writing is on the wall.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Dagerow said:

Bo got fired because the AD didn't like him.  If TO was the AD, he wouldn't have got fired.

This is one of the reasons why I think Frost will eventually turn us down.  If we go back through time, I think most can agree that TO wasn't a big fan of Solich getting fired or Bo getting fired.  Frost has always thought a lot of TO.  Are we sure TO would even advise Frost to take this job? 

• Plus1 1
On 9/10/2017 at 3:58 PM, tfree32 said:

Agreed. The relentless negativity is overwhelming.

The relentless negativity is a direct result of the on-the-field product being underwhelming combined with an ineffectual AD that doesn't seem to care that Nebraska is trending in the wrong direction in many key areas.

Maybe if the team showed real progress, wasn't repeating mistakes, wasn't bungling game management...then perhaps you wouldn't have the negativity? :dunno

• Plus1 1

On 9/10/2017 at 4:04 PM, Dagerow said:

I'm always amazed people think Bo hit his ceiling.  This was his first HC job, and he never lost more than 9.  Lots of good coaches do something similar and when they get a great player (texas - Vince young), assistant coach (Oklahoma with Leach), or something else, it puts them over the top.  Heck, if TM didn't get injured, I think we would have been right in it.  I'll tell you this, I always had faith in a Bo teams and Bo himself.  Yes, he made mistakes (JP is the biggest), but he always was aware of them and looked to correct them.

Now go ahead and bash me.

He hit his ceiling here. Maybe he could do better somewhere else in the right circumstance, but 7 years of 9/10 wins is enough of a sample size to move on when your head coach is a constant embarrassment, and there's still plenty of on-field embarrassment.

Your examples don't work for your argument either. Mack Brown started the way Bo did, but he got better (11 win seasons, top 10 finishes, etc.), as well as playing the politics right and being a gentleman about it. I have no idea what you're talking about with Oklahoma, but Bob Stoops had that team at a NC caliber level from year 2 pretty much through year 17. Immediately, and sustained.

13 hours ago, junior4949 said:

This is one of the reasons why I think Frost will eventually turn us down.  If we go back through time, I think most can agree that TO wasn't a big fan of Solich getting fired or Bo getting fired.  Frost has always thought a lot of TO.  Are we sure TO would even advise Frost to take this job? 

They're both adults. What kind of scenario are you imagining, 42 year old Frost calls up Osborne asking, "Do you think I should take the Nebraska job?", to which Osborne responds, "No definitely don't they're total losers that fired 9 win coaches"?

ANYWAYS

Every time these discussions come up it's equal parts humorous and sobering to see how out of touch with reality some of internet fanbase is. Kirby Smart isn't coming here unless he sh#ts the bed at Georgia. Dan Mullen isn't leaving MSU anytime soon barring something incredibly unlikely and unpredictable. Chris Petersen? Please, there's literally zero percent chance of that happening. DJ Durkin? B1G coaches have unspoken rules about leaving B1G schools for other B1G schools, and he also hasn't proved anything other than a losing season and beating a bad Texas team.

Scott Frost is and will continue to be our best gamble that we know of. If it's not him, the only hope is for it to be a Fuente/Herman/etc. before they were thought of as hot commodities.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:45 PM, Nebhawk said:

Bob Stoops would be the first call made.  Scott Frost after that.  Big game Bob has a recruiting reputation that not many have in the game today.  He would be first call, and last call.  Checkbook wide open!

Why would Big game Bob even give us the time of day?  He's good friends with Bo.  We fired Bo.  I highly doubt Bob really needs the money.  Plus, his twins are seniors in high school.  I'd venture to guess he'll want to attend as many of their college football games as he can over the next five years.

On 9/10/2017 at 4:04 PM, Dagerow said:

I'm always amazed people think Bo hit his ceiling.  This was his first HC job, and he never lost more than 9.  Lots of good coaches do something similar and when they get a great player (texas - Vince young), assistant coach (Oklahoma with Leach), or something else, it puts them over the top.  Heck, if TM didn't get injured, I think we would have been right in it.  I'll tell you this, I always had faith in a Bo teams and Bo himself.  Yes, he made mistakes (JP is the biggest), but he always was aware of them and looked to correct them.

Now go ahead and bash me.

This is where I disagree with you.  I think Bo may have had a higher ceiling but his unwillingness to fire and hire better coordinators kept that from happening.

• Plus1 1

I stand by my prediction from after last season.  If this season tanks, or next season isn't any better, they let Mike "retire" and bring in Scott Frost.  I truly feel this was the plan all along, just a weird hunch.  Let Scott get 2-3 years as a head coach at a small school, then bring him in here.  Would be a fairly painless transition I think.

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

He hit his ceiling here. Maybe he could do better somewhere else in the right circumstance, but 7 years of 9/10 wins is enough of a sample size to move on when your head coach is a constant embarrassment, and there's still plenty of on-field embarrassment.

Your examples don't work for your argument either. Mack Brown started the way Bo did, but he got better (11 win seasons, top 10 finishes, etc.), as well as playing the politics right and being a gentleman about it. I have no idea what you're talking about with Oklahoma, but Bob Stoops had that team at a NC caliber level from year 2 pretty much through year 17. Immediately, and sustained.

They're both adults. What kind of scenario are you imagining, 42 year old Frost calls up Osborne asking, "Do you think I should take the Nebraska job?", to which Osborne responds, "No definitely don't they're total losers that fired 9 win coaches"?

ANYWAYS

Every time these discussions come up it's equal parts humorous and sobering to see how out of touch with reality some of internet fanbase is. Kirby Smart isn't coming here unless he sh#ts the bed at Georgia. Dan Mullen isn't leaving MSU anytime soon barring something incredibly unlikely and unpredictable. Chris Petersen? Please, there's literally zero percent chance of that happening. DJ Durkin? B1G coaches have unspoken rules about leaving B1G schools for other B1G schools, and he also hasn't proved anything other than a losing season and beating a bad Texas team.

Scott Frost is and will continue to be our best gamble that we know of. If it's not him, the only hope is for it to be a Fuente/Herman/etc. before they were thought of as hot commodities.

The bolded part isn't the scenario I'm imagining at all.  I have not a doubt in my mind that TO would be one of the first calls made by Frost if he's offered the job here.  The scenario I'm imagining is TO in his calm demeanor just reminding Frost mostly of what happened with both Solich and Bo.  I'm sure he would also remind him that he'd also more than likely be coming here joining a new AD.  I don't think TO tells him no don't take this job.  I do think he'll discuss how some things went down in the past that he didn't necessarily agree with.