Who should we hire

26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But Moe wasn't dead. He was sitting next to Cipriano as the assistant head coach. That must have been awkward. 

Turns out Moe didn't exactly lead them to the promised land, either. 

Dang, must be the old timer's kicking in...I had it reversed.  "Fire Moe, Dig up Joe"....my bad.  And yes, that would have been uncomfortable otherwise...

People are talking about Season 3 into a coaches tenure and we haven't even scratched conference games in season 3? Love it. Placing irrelevant standards for a current coach by comparing season 3 results to previous 5 coaches. Previous 3 coaches won a combined single CC, nothing else and nothing more, and that one coach rode the coattails of a legendary coach to earn that title. These are just the arguments I don't get from huskerboard members. It's a made up compare and contrast argument to previous regimes instead of actually looking at the team itself, the stuff that actually matters. 

Also, failed to mention when dissecting Season 3 for Riley. The horrible end result of 2012-2013 recruiting classes, but that's just an excuse to defend Riley too.

I'm squarely on the fence of Riley, but I'd like to see season 4 and 5 before judging. With Farniok playing well last week and other RSFrosh and TF prospects on the OL, the DL and LBs building depth. There's more evidence to give a staff a chance for years 4 and 5 than comparing Season 3 results before current Season 3 is even a 1/4 of the way through. If the team can't win the division title this year, that sucks, but those already calling for their jobs would make up another phony reason if the team reaches the CCG this year. 

However, Im probably all wrong. Btw, Franklin should have been out at PSU before last season based off of these standards. 

Edit: Franklin was only in year 3, my bad. He did start out at 2-2 however. Losing to a big in state rival and being absolutely boat raced by Michigan. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I consider someone a big winner at a school is someone who stays at that school for a number of years and has great success (conference/national championships).

Looking back at the last 20-25 years guys that I consider the most successful coaches all did very well within their first 3 years:

Bob Stoops:  National Championship in 2nd year

Urban Meyer:  National Championship in 2nd year at Florida, 3rd year at Ohio State

Mack Brown:  Division title in 2nd year at Texas, Conference title in 4th year at Texas

Nick Saban:  Conference title in 2nd year at LSU, National Championship in 4th year at LSU

Dabo Swinney:  Conference title in 3rd full year at Clemson

Jimbo Fisher:  Conference title in 3rd year (division title his 1st year) at Florida State

Jim Tressel: National championship in 2nd year at Ohio State

Now, the above list only shows national championship coaches, but it shows how they changed things pretty quickly.

I agree to an extent but some of those coaches were HC's at other schools before they coached at the schools you listed.

Urban Meyer - HC at Bowling Green and Utah before Florida ( Was pretty successful at BG and Utah)

Mack Brown - HC at App St, Tulane and NC before Texas ( Had some success later in his time at NC )

Nick Saban - HC at Toledo and MSU before LSU ( Had okay success at MSU )

Jim Tressel - HC at YSU  (Won multiple D2 Championships at YSU, very successful)

Now look at Nebraska since TO retired.

Frank - 1st time HC

Cally - Was a NFL HC

Bo - 1st time HC

Mike Riley is the only coach we have had that has extensive HC years under his belt. 

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I agree with this as well, but how many people do you have to fire or they leave before it's on you? We have 4 new staff members within 2 seasons already. Possibly could be 5 since coach Cav is on a tight leash this year. Just cannot believe it takes someone over 20 years to realize you have two boneheads on your staff 

Defensive Coordinator: Mark Banker
Secondary Coach: Brian Stewart 

Defensive Line Coach: Hank Hughes 

Special Teams: Bruce Read

Here here. If I were the NU HC, I would be doing everything to win too, but I doubt I would have much success. And the last 3 coaches were not failures. All were better than MR, and Solich was much better. Won a conference title, finished in the top 10 three out out 6 seasons, finished in the top 20 five of 6 seasons. He was forced to wait for a bad season before he could replace long time assistant coaches who recruited poorly or not at all.

Just for clarification, Mack Brown didn't win a conference championship until his 8th season at Texas, and others like Swinney took a while to prove they really belonged. The year they won the conference was following a 6-7 season, and they proceeded to lose the Orange Bowl 70-33 vs West Virginia.

Good head coaches are incredibly difficult to find. There is no correlation between previous head coaching experience and ability, and at least some of the best take some time and some lumps before they reach their full potential. Others have the chance to be great in certain contexts and not in others. We've had some bad luck with coaches. We also had 50 years of insanely good luck with coaches.

At some point, either with Riley, or Frost, or someone else, we'll get lucky with a great hire. That's all we can really hope for.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think it's going to take me more than 2 seasons and 2 games to determine his ability.  

I know he was able to take one of the worst programs in P5 history and get 9 wins a few times.  How many other coaches in the game today can say that?  

How many coaches can take one of the greatest programs in football and lead them to a losing season. I can only think of two.

• Plus1 1
Just now, MichiganDad3 said:

How many coaches can take one of the greatest programs in football and lead them to a losing season. I can only think of two.

We stopped being one of the greatest programs on 11-23-01.

And you want to talk about coaches with losing records at Nebraska--If it weren't for a 5th non-conference game versus McNeese St, Frank would have been 6-7 in 02-03.  

• Plus1 1

First Scott Frost will not come here you should listen to Damon Benning sometime!  Second we have done such a poor job of hiring since Solich was fired that why would any one want to come here?  Third  I think it needs to be a young guy may be Zack Taylor in a few years!  But it if a forgone conclusion that Riley will not leave on his own!

4 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Maybe it's just me, but coordinators seem a lot like QBs.  They get too much credit when things are going good, and they get way too much blame when things go bad.  Take Brent Venables for example.  He was pretty much ran out of Norman.  Sooner faithful had their gut full of him which is why Bob brought little brother Mike back.  He goes to Clemson where he wins the Broyles award.  Greg Davis also comes to mind.  Texas ran him out of town, and he was also a Broyles award winner.  We have a Broyles award winner for a DC.  Thus far, it really hasn't felt like an upgrade to Banker. 

might say something about the Broyles award

1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Charlie Strong

Brady Hoke

Steve Sarkisian

Lane Kiffin (I guess these two were fired before they had the chance for sure)

Bill Callahan

Mike Riley

John Blake

Mike Shulla

Luke Fickell

Brian Kelly

Charlie Weis

Rich Rodriguez

I'm sure I'm forgetting some

3 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Think a little harder:

Ray Perkins

Mike DuBose

Mike Shula

RIch Rodriguez

Brady Hoke

John Cooper

Ted Tollner

John Robinson

Paul Hackett

Gerry Faust

Bob Davie

Tyrone Willingham

Charlie Weiss

Mark Helfrich

Will Muschamp

Butch Davis

Randy Shannon

Al Golden

John Blake

John Mackovic

Mack Brown

Charlie Strong

Johnny Majors

Phil Fulmer

Gerry DiNardo

Jerry Stovall

Pat Dye

Gene Chizik

Tommy Tuberville

Vince Dooley

Mark Richt

Dabo Swinney

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, RedSavage said:

This is where I disagree with you.  I think Bo may have had a higher ceiling but his unwillingness to fire and hire better coordinators kept that from happening.

You are right.  It's hard for me to see loyalty as a fault, but you are right and I misspoke with regard to that.

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I consider someone a big winner at a school is someone who stays at that school for a number of years and has great success (conference/national championships).

Looking back at the last 20-25 years guys that I consider the most successful coaches all did very well within their first 3 years:

Bob Stoops:  National Championship in 2nd year

Urban Meyer:  National Championship in 2nd year at Florida, 3rd year at Ohio State

Mack Brown:  Division title in 2nd year at Texas, Conference title in 4th year at Texas

Nick Saban:  Conference title in 2nd year at LSU, National Championship in 4th year at LSU

Dabo Swinney:  Conference title in 3rd full year at Clemson

Jimbo Fisher:  Conference title in 3rd year (division title his 1st year) at Florida State

Jim Tressel: National championship in 2nd year at Ohio State

Now, the above list only shows national championship coaches, but it shows how they changed things pretty quickly.

They're all in or around recruiting hotbeds.  You can't make chicken salad with chicken poo.

• Plus1 1