Who should we hire

4 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Maybe it's just me, but coordinators seem a lot like QBs.  They get too much credit when things are going good, and they get way too much blame when things go bad.  Take Brent Venables for example.  He was pretty much ran out of Norman.  Sooner faithful had their gut full of him which is why Bob brought little brother Mike back.  He goes to Clemson where he wins the Broyles award.  Greg Davis also comes to mind.  Texas ran him out of town, and he was also a Broyles award winner.  We have a Broyles award winner for a DC.  Thus far, it really hasn't felt like an upgrade to Banker. 

M Stoops got canned at Arizona that year and  was soon back at OU with big brother.  I'm pretty sure that was the main reason Venables was shopping and I bet Stoops was instrumental in him getting a solid DC job elsewhere.  The 2000 NC OU defense was pretty damn stout.  Venables is a legit coach and has two NC's to prove it now.  Honestly, we would kill to have him as DC, reminds me of a young Charlie McBride.

5 hours ago, HIHusker said:

M Stoops got canned at Arizona that year and  was soon back at OU with big brother.  I'm pretty sure that was the main reason Venables was shopping and I bet Stoops was instrumental in him getting a solid DC job elsewhere.  The 2000 NC OU defense was pretty damn stout.  Venables is a legit coach and has two NC's to prove it now.  Honestly, we would kill to have him as DC, reminds me of a young Charlie McBride.

I know all of this.  It was simply to illustrate just how delusional a fan base can be.  The OU faithful wanted Venables gone.  I highly doubt he wanted demoted to become a co-coordinator again.  I'm not a college football coach, and I don't know all the in's and out's of what coordinators do with regards to recruiting.  Davis won the Broyles award when he had Vince Young running his offense.  I don't know how involved Davis was with recruiting to Texas.  I don't think any of this says anything about the Broyles award.  I think it says more about those assistants having the players they needed to run their position group.  We already have fans that have completely given up on Diaco.  I expected some growing pains on defense this year.  However, we will get better this season as the players get more comfortable in his scheme and going forward he will get more of the pieces he needs to run his scheme.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, teachercd said:

Bo did not hit his ceiling here and he didn't his his floor.

Yes, Frost would call TO and probably about 5 other people if he was offered the Husker job to get a feel for things and to get some advice/thoughts.  That is normal.  We are talking about a HC gig at a big time school...not a part-time job after school.  sh#t, you should see the amount of phone calls made back and forth for guys interested in HC jobs at the high school level.

This, is so true.  Guys call anyone that might have worked in the building that they know.  They call people who used to coach with the AD or coached under them.  They ask about the school makeup, how are the parents at this school.

The coaching circle is very tight knit.  I have had coaches I know call me for another person or give my name out to a prospective coach that I don't even know just to call and ask me about how much support athletics gets in my school.

Frost would call TO, he would probably call Bo.  I'm sure he would talk to anybody at NC St or Wisconsin to see about working for SE.  He would DEFINITELY talk to John Cook and Miles.  In the end, he also is going to believe he will be successful here.  All of the times I hear, "he wouldn't take this job because he may think you can't be successful" is so crazy.  ALL coaches think they will be successful wherever they go.  The only outlier is how long it will take to get to where you need to go.

Nebraska is a long-term rebuild now.  We as a fan base need to be okay with the steps to rebuild, or we never will be good again.

17 hours ago, Huskerfan55 said:

First Scott Frost will not come here you should listen to Damon Benning sometime!  Second we have done such a poor job of hiring since Solich was fired that why would any one want to come here?  Third  I think it needs to be a young guy may be Zack Taylor in a few years!  But it if a forgone conclusion that Riley will not leave on his own!

I wouldn't take everything Benning says to the bank.

• Plus1 2

What once might have been a rule in college football probably isn't any longer because that's how much things have changed.  Brian Kelly is setting on an extremely hot seat right now.  By year three, he had Notre Dame playing for a NC.  I just read an article today saying that problems at Notre Dame probably go much deeper than Brian Kelly.  Since Holtz, every coach at Notre Dame has gravitated towards a 60% win/loss record.  While Kelly is around 65% at Notre Dame, a year like last year will definitely put him close.  Kelly's resume is pretty impressive from his to NCs in D2 all the way to his time at Cincinnati where by year four he had them in the top 10 and undefeated before losing in a bowl game.  It was Cincinnati's best year in their football history.  The guy can flat out coach, but it's likely he's gonna get fired by Notre Dame. 

While Notre Dame is a bit different than other programs because it's independent, there are other programs going through the same struggles.  Texas is a program struggling right now.  Their struggles began under their NC winning coach.  I highly doubt Mack Brown woke up one day and magically forgot how to coach.  I think Charlie Strong is a pretty good coach, yet he failed to ever post a winning record at Texas.  Will Herman turn things around? 

We're witnessing a changing landscape where hiring a successful coach doesn't necessarily translate into success.  Rich Rod was pretty successful at West Virginia where his teams finished in the top 10 his final three years there.  He's posted a 50% win/loss record since.  It's almost like college football has gravitated closer to the NFL where a coach will be a big success one place and not very good at another.  Maybe the big money in college football is changing things?   

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

This, is so true.  Guys call anyone that might have worked in the building that they know.  They call people who used to coach with the AD or coached under them.  They ask about the school makeup, how are the parents at this school.

The coaching circle is very tight knit.  I have had coaches I know call me for another person or give my name out to a prospective coach that I don't even know just to call and ask me about how much support athletics gets in my school.

Frost would call TO, he would probably call Bo.  I'm sure he would talk to anybody at NC St or Wisconsin to see about working for SE.  He would DEFINITELY talk to John Cook and Miles.  In the end, he also is going to believe he will be successful here.  All of the times I hear, "he wouldn't take this job because he may think you can't be successful" is so crazy.  ALL coaches think they will be successful wherever they go.  The only outlier is how long it will take to get to where you need to go.

Nebraska is a long-term rebuild now.  We as a fan base need to be okay with the steps to rebuild, or we never will be good again.

15yrs and no end in sight is pretty long.

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

What once might have been a rule in college football probably isn't any longer because that's how much things have changed.  Brian Kelly is setting on an extremely hot seat right now.  By year three, he had Notre Dame playing for a NC.  I just read an article today saying that problems at Notre Dame probably go much deeper than Brian Kelly.  Since Holtz, every coach at Notre Dame has gravitated towards a 60% win/loss record.  While Kelly is around 65% at Notre Dame, a year like last year will definitely put him close.  Kelly's resume is pretty impressive from his to NCs in D2 all the way to his time at Cincinnati where by year four he had them in the top 10 and undefeated before losing in a bowl game.  It was Cincinnati's best year in their football history.  The guy can flat out coach, but it's likely he's gonna get fired by Notre Dame. 

While Notre Dame is a bit different than other programs because it's independent, there are other programs going through the same struggles.  Texas is a program struggling right now.  Their struggles began under their NC winning coach.  I highly doubt Mack Brown woke up one day and magically forgot how to coach.  I think Charlie Strong is a pretty good coach, yet he failed to ever post a winning record at Texas.  Will Herman turn things around? 

We're witnessing a changing landscape where hiring a successful coach doesn't necessarily translate into success.  Rich Rod was pretty successful at West Virginia where his teams finished in the top 10 his final three years there.  He's posted a 50% win/loss record since.  It's almost like college football has gravitated closer to the NFL where a coach will be a big success one place and not very good at another.  Maybe the big money in college football is changing things?   

Great examples.

MR  is the right man to get it done here at this time.  

3 hours ago, marko polo said:

15yrs and no end in sight is pretty long.

And it could be another 15 years before NU is a perennial Top-5 team...maybe 20+ years.  For every year of poor decision-making & performance by both the administration and coaching staff, it takes at least twice as long to rebuild both the Program's culture and reputation.  The Program was in the ditch from 2000-2014 -- this return to prominence that everyone has been waiting for is going to take far longer that most realize (or will admit).  Mike Riley's hire was progress in the LONG march back to the mountain-top, as will be his eventual replacement in 5-6 years (Frost?).  Patience is a virtue.

Another thing:  If you were a four or five star recruit with plenty of options, would you want to play for NU after reading many of the negative and personal-attack comments (on both this board & local news-sites) made against both players and coaches from what sometimes seems like the most entitlement-minded fan base in college football?  I know I'd think twice.

• Plus1 2
22 hours ago, Huskerfan55 said:

First Scott Frost will not come here you should listen to Damon Benning sometime!  Second we have done such a poor job of hiring since Solich was fired that why would any one want to come here?  Third  I think it needs to be a young guy may be Zack Taylor in a few years!  But it if a forgone conclusion that Riley will not leave on his own!

What does Benning say about it?  I haven't heard him so I'd like a run down of the reasons Scott won't come here.  I can imagine the reasons but would like to know what Damon says.

Thanks

3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

So would you or any of desire Kelly to coach at NU? Would he regain the winning spark here?

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

What does Benning say about it?  I haven't heard him so I'd like a run down of the reasons Scott won't come here.  I can imagine the reasons but would like to know what Damon says.

Thanks

DB is a large Whiner.  He has a few good and interesting things to say but jumps up on the preacher stand way to much.   and he pontificates to the point of irritation.  

2 hours ago, Wild Savage Beast said:

And it could be another 15 years before NU is a perennial Top-5 team...maybe 20+ years.  For every year of poor decision-making & performance by both the administration and coaching staff, it takes at least twice as long to rebuild both the Program's culture and reputation.  The Program was in the ditch from 2000-2014 -- this return to prominence that everyone has been waiting for is going to take far longer that most realize (or will admit).  Mike Riley's hire was progress in the LONG march back to the mountain-top, as will be his eventual replacement in 5-6 years (Frost?).  Patience is a virtue.

Another thing:  If you were a four or five star recruit with plenty of options, would you want to play for NU after reading many of the negative and personal-attack comments (on both this board & local news-sites) made against both players and coaches from what sometimes seems like the most entitlement-minded fan base in college football?  I know I'd think twice.

you make it sound like mike and crew are the ones to get us there, but do you think prospects want to watch the team they are interested in play like we have most every time we play anyone with a pulse. That kind of play on tv can really hurt recruiting and what is even more important is your ability to develope players

12 minutes ago, marko polo said:

you make it sound like mike and crew are the ones to get us there, but do you think prospects want to watch the team they are interested in play like we have most every time we play anyone with a pulse. That kind of play on tv can really hurt recruiting

idk how you define teams with a pulse, but the way I understand it, we've mostly played pretty decent against pulse teams

2015 #21 Wisconsin - lost by two points

2015 #22 Northwestern - lost by two points

2015 #6 Michigan State - won by one point

2015 #3 Iowa - lost by eight points

2016 #9 Wisconsin - lost by six points in overtime

2016 #6 Ohio State - lost by 59 points

2016 #22 Tennessee - lost by fourteen points

Losing is losing and once you start trying to justify losing on a consistent basis you have realized you hired the wrong coach.  Riley has this year and he knows it.  The loss to Oregon all but writes the story for the season.  Riley can't drop a game to NIU, Illini, Rutgers, Minny, Purdue, Northwestern or Iowa.  If he does and the rest of the season plays out with NU lost to Wisky, OSU and PSU...he will "retire"

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Losing is losing and once you start trying to justify losing on a consistent basis you have realized you hired the wrong coach.  Riley has this year and he knows it.  The loss to Oregon all but writes the story for the season.  Riley can't drop a game to NIU, Illini, Rutgers, Minny, Purdue, Northwestern or Iowa.  If he does and the rest of the season plays out with NU lost to Wisky, OSU and PSU...he will "retire"

You could not possibly be more wrong on this.  Nebraska could go .500 this season and Riley would still be back next season - this is a given at this point.