Who should we hire

6 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I know all of this.  It was simply to illustrate just how delusional a fan base can be.  The OU faithful wanted Venables gone.  I highly doubt he wanted demoted to become a co-coordinator again.  I'm not a college football coach, and I don't know all the in's and out's of what coordinators do with regards to recruiting.  Davis won the Broyles award when he had Vince Young running his offense.  I don't know how involved Davis was with recruiting to Texas.  I don't think any of this says anything about the Broyles award.  I think it says more about those assistants having the players they needed to run their position group.  We already have fans that have completely given up on Diaco.  I expected some growing pains on defense this year.  However, we will get better this season as the players get more comfortable in his scheme and going forward he will get more of the pieces he needs to run his scheme.

Bingo, yea I'm no coach either and going from 4-3 to 3-4 is probably going to take some time to get dialed.  I always hope for the best, more will be revealed.  2nd half against Oregon was an improvement.  Hope we continue to improve as the year goes on, we are going to need it. 

8 hours ago, lo country said:

And all of them coaching significantly less time than Riley.  Dabo, Jimbo, Bob were first time HC's....Tressel at a FCS school.  Those listed are some of the most successful guys in the game.  Something to be said for reaching a high level of success in a short amount of time.  

Yeah, and whenever we need a new coach, if we hire a first time head coach, everyone will freak out saying how big of a mistake it was that we didn't hire someone with head coaching experience.

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yeah, and whenever we need a new coach, if we hire a first time head coach, everyone will freak out saying how big of a mistake it was that we didn't hire someone with head coaching experience.

That's the problem.  There is no exact science to it.  You hire a guy with success from program A and he moves to program B and tanks....Think Rich Rod.  Or you get an average coach who turns a program around.  Think Fuentes/McElwain.  

IMHO, if you look at guys who have "turned around/are turning it around, their impact is felt in the first few years.  Most appear to be in year 2-3.  Their body of work is almost a much smaller snapshot than as Riley.  They've had less "years of success", but a "better" winning percentage throughout those years.  Maybe that's the indicator.  I don't know.  Only spitballing.  We've looked since 2004 and have not had luck.  Maybe this is the year that things click.  Maybe it's next year with another in the 3-4 (from Pro Football Focus and my own eyes and many on the board) we are lacking the talent to make that 3-4 engine go i.e. DE,OLB etc...

All I know, is I want NU to win now. I remember the glory years as well as the times prior when we couldn't beat OU, when we couldn't win a bowl, but even then in hindsight, we were competitive, always ranked, and nationally respected.....

If Riley is the guy, that's great. Because it means the team, state and fans can revel in that success as well.