Who should we hire

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

He took an 0-12 UCF and win 6-7 last year.  He was a winner as a player, a winner as WR Coach and OC and doing well as a HC.  We hired a guy who was neither of those and took a 9-4 program to 5-7, then 9-4 and now possibly 1-11.........I'd roll the dice.  Bring the prodigal son home....

The program has been taking gambles on coaches for 15 years including a guy many of us thought was the answer to our woes because he had Nebraska ties, was a strong position coach and coordinator.

I think your opinion is a fine opinion to hold, but outside of his name and Nebraska ties, he's still a higher risk than average hire.

The most important question on who Nebraska should hire next is not at head coach, but at athletic director. I don't have an answer for who the next AD should be, I wish I did.

I know this though, Les Miles would be a terrible hire for Nebraska. After initial success, he screwed up a great situation at LSU. He won't do better at Nebraska when he isn't getting top 5 recruiting classes each year.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I don't think antiquated is the right adjective. I can understand someone believing it's a safe or reserved opinion of Frost, but antiquated?

He's been a head coach one season and Nebraska has spent the last 15 years taking gambles. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, to be clear.

We can't rely on the thinking of "well we are Nebraska" so all these big names should be in consideration.  We are not a top 50 program...let that sink in.  We need a hungry coach.  Frost is potentially one IMO and he knows probably more than any other candidate what a return to Nebraska football would mean.  

Just now, NebraskaHarry said:

Nebraska has gambled on head coaches since it started playing football. They've never hired a big name guy.

And that's fine, but I personally don't like the strategy of continuing to take gambles on guys until the program is lucky enough to find a diamond in the rough. The strategy should be to get the best candidate possible and take all of their qualifications into account.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

How about Bo Pelini?

You kept saying this in another thread, just stop, it's plain ridiculous. That man wasn't the answer, isn't the answer, and I'm glad he's gone regardless of the outcome today. He did enough to damage the national perception of Nebraska with his childish behavior on the sidelines and in front of the media.

• Plus1 3
Just now, BIGREDIOWAN said:

You kept saying this in another thread, just stop, it's plain ridiculous. That man wasn't the answer, isn't the answer, and I'm glad he's gone regardless of the outcome today. He did enough to damage the national perception of Nebraska with his childish behavior on the sidelines and in front of the media.

I would argue that if it weren't for Pelini's antics Eichorst might not have felt the need to look for Mr. Rogers as the next head coach.  

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

We can't rely on the thinking of "well we are Nebraska" so all these big names should be in consideration.  We are not a top 50 program...let that sink in.  We need a hungry coach.  Frost is potentially one IMO and he knows probably more than any other candidate what a return to Nebraska football would mean.  

That's a disingenuous interpretation of my opinion. I don't think Nebraska is going to haul in a Saban or someone of even near-comparable prowess. I just don't think he's done enough yet to warrant the head coaching position at Nebraska. I may be in a minority but it's going to be tough to ever sway me on that any time soon.

• Plus1 1
Just now, bnilhome said:

I would argue that if it weren't for Pelini's antics Eichorst might not have felt the need to look for Mr. Rogers as the next head coach.  

Exactly! The reason Mike Riley got hired was to repair the damage to the relationship between the fans and the team and to help repair the perception of us on a national level. He was never the guy to bring us back to national relevance and still isn't. Sure Riley is a nice guy, folks like him so they can't help but begin to forget how much of a hothead Pelini was/is and that helps improve their thoughts towards us.

• Plus1 1
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, Red_Payne said:

Way too early to call for Riley's head; and way to early to analyze coordinators as potential replacements. This is assuming that no big name established/experienced head coaches will even consider this job (which, in all honesty, is probably true; let's be honest with ourselves). Only exception would be Art Briles; but I pray we aren't that desperate for a big name.

Time is now! 

Just now, Enhance said:

That's a disingenuous interpretation of my opinion. I don't think Nebraska is going to haul in a Saban or someone of even near-comparable prowess. I just don't think he's done enough yet to warrant the head coaching position at Nebraska. I may be in a minority but it's going to be tough to ever sway me on that any time soon.

I also disagree.  A good coach who wants to compete in the Big Ten with a highly visible program that will help fund most assistant hires is a desirable place for top head coaches.  Nebraska has way more to offer than most D1 programs outside of about 10 programs that have consistently been good over the past decade.  Prior to Harbaugh, Michigan sucked for several years and their fans wondered if it was possible to return to the top-tier of college football.  I realized JH is an alum, but all it takes is the right coach to quickly turn around a program.