Who should we hire

12 minutes ago, Garry G said:

What about bohl.  He built an great team in their division at north dakota st.  Not sure how wyoming is going for him but NU shoukd have deeper resources

Not Bohl.  He was terrible here.  Good for him doing his thing at a little school but I have no confidence he could do anything of significance here.  

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Not Leach or Calhoun...quirky offensive systems that can win once in awhile but I don't see either of them here.  

Leach built Texas tech from nothing with his quirky offense, not to mention that night in Lubbock in 04. Remember that? Now he has Wazzu in the top 20, when they were in the pac 12 basement not long ago. With Leach, we would at least have an identity, and know what we are recruiting for.

• Plus1 1

Nebraska is in the middle of the United States of America with very limited in-state recruits. To try and get cute thinking we are going to be the USC of the B10 just isn't going to happen. Didn't happen with Clownahan and isn't happening with Riley. We don't need to run the damn option, but your identify has to be run first. Those are facts people. 

Wisconsin never out recruits us with skill players and it doesn't matter because their offensive lines are light years ahead of ours. If we had anywhere near their lines we could be dominate in the West division like we were in the North of the B12. 

• Plus1 2

I want someone who believes, as I and many Nebraska fans do, that teams are built from the inside out. Look at the old Husker teams. Look atmodern Wisconsin. Conversely in the NFL, look at last year's Vikings or this year's Bengals (who have a statistically top 10ish QB last year, three capable RBs, AJ Green and Tyler Eifert.... and have yet to score a TD through two weeks because of their porous line). I know everyone has been excited for our recruiting recently (Parsons, Bookie, Lindsey, and the KJJ train were worth getting excited for), but the glaring issue is we haven't been recruiting offensive line we'll at all recently. Think this o-line is bad? Wait until the  current class and last year's are juniors and seniors. Yikes. As good as those vets were/are, I've even been down about recruiting because of this.

I don't care who we bring in personality wise. If it must be The Bret, then it is what it is. 

Then there there is another part of me that just realllllly want Scott Frost to get the job next year. This is because, obviously he more than any other options understands what made us good back in the day, what we are currently going through right now, and presumably what needs to be done to right the ship. 

2 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Nebraska has gambled on head coaches since it started playing football. They've never hired a big name guy.

Callahan was sorta a big name... Had just went to the SB a couple seasons prior to the hire and was the Raiders O-cord. under Gruden for a couple of good seasons.

Bo Pelini was the D-Cord. of a NC winning LSU squad, and had been there for a couple of good seasons. That might qualify as a big name for some (but not all).

I like the Big 12 idea, but were sell outs for a conference where we even look like bigger losers.  Trying to recruit players from the east coast area to compete in the Big 10.............has never really computed inside my head.

Chip Kelly had Nike money...........we don't have Nike money to draw in recruits.  He never won a title either.  

Bob Stoops is the dream hire at coach.  He has Big 10 ties from playing and coaching at Iowa.  Wouldn't be in conference against OU, but would have a game scheduled already..............?

In all reality, Frost as HC and Trev or who ever else at AD.  We need traditional stability.  I can't believe people willing to sell out for Kelly and his fluky offense.......I mean really he is another Leach like gimmicky coach.  Les Miles can recruit, but only won with Saban's players.......?

14 minutes ago, C-4 said:

I want someone who believes, as I and many Nebraska fans do, that teams are built from the inside out. Look at the old Husker teams. Look atmodern Wisconsin. Conversely in the NFL, look at last year's Vikings or this year's Bengals (who have a statistically top 10ish QB last year, three capable RBs, AJ Green and Tyler Eifert.... and have yet to score a TD through two weeks because of their porous line). I know everyone has been excited for our recruiting recently (Parsons, Bookie, Lindsey, and the KJJ train were worth getting excited for), but the glaring issue is we haven't been recruiting offensive line we'll at all recently. Think this o-line is bad? Wait until the  current class and last year's are juniors and seniors. Yikes. As good as those vets were/are, I've even been down about recruiting because of this.

I don't care who we bring in personality wise. If it must be The Bret, then it is what it is. 

Then there there is another part of me that just realllllly want Scott Frost to get the job next year. This is because, obviously he more than any other options understands what made us good back in the day, what we are currently going through right now, and presumably what needs to be done to right the ship. 

This is the exact argument that I made...

Raiders finally invested in their O-line, then put Carr behind them; then POOF, a decade of horrid football almost instantaneously becomes a premier offense in the NFL.

Dak Prescott was a rookie MVP candidate. I wonder if that happens without the best O-line in the NFL.

USC and Wash. both invested significantly in recruiting O-line the past couple years; and now they are powerhouses. (USC should always be a powerhouse, but they are coming off of those sanctions/scholy limits). Stanford and Wisc. have seemed to remain relevant, despite being at a recruiting disadvantage (Wisc. being location, Stan. being academic req.) because they know what they want on the O-line, and they know how to develop/build it.

• Plus1 1