Who should we hire

2 hours ago, Blackshirt_Revival said:

In order of preference:

1. Scott Frost

2. Chip Kelly

3. Troy Calhoun

4. D.J. Durkin

5. Craig Bohl

I see a lot of coaches listed here who are big names and have been successful who I don't think would be good long term solutions at Nebraska, chiefly because of the offensive styles they employ not matching up with the players we have greatest access to and Nebraska's built-in recruiting disadvantages.  In our most successful years, we ran an offense that embraced and maximized the abilities of the talent we had greatest access to.

I think a coach is needed who employs a run-first offensive mentality with a physical, brutal O-line (yes, I realize me having Kelly at 2 seems contradictory to that), where the QB is also a fixture in the run game.  Nebraska will never consistently out-recruit schools like USC, Miami, Texas, and Alabama, but with the right coach(es), right scheme, and right values/mentality, I don't think it needs to in order to have sustained success.  

Frost #1 because I think he understands what he'd be walking into here--the expectations, what it would take to be successful.  I think he understands the pressure the job would bring, and I think fans would be more patient with the homegrown kid who was a national championship winning QB here and still early into his coaching career than a more established coach we would expect to win big and right away.

Plus this right here shows me he GETS IT:

“I’ve actually been going to work trying to restudy what we used to do at Nebraska. . . . [W]hat we ran at Nebraska in a lot of ways is very similar to what Oregon runs right now — we’re just out of the shotgun versus under center. But a lot of the concepts of the option game are the same. . . . I would love to see somebody go back to doing what Nebraska used to do. Maybe the Huskers are going to do that this year. Personally, I’d love to someday mix a lot of the concepts that Oregon runs with some of the aspects Nebraska used to run. . . . The one thing I wish we could do at Oregon is be a little more physical. I don’t think that’s a secret. I think everybody on our staff wishes we could be a little more physical on offense. That’s what Nebraska’s calling card was. If we could play fast and physical, I don’t think there’s anybody in the country who could stop us.”

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.qJ3zSLh6.dpbs

Let me start off by saying as football coaches, I like all those dudes - Calhoun needs way more credit than he gets. But unless you have a homerun lined up, you can't fire Riley for another "project" hire. Give Riley 4-5 years or get someone that has won a Conf Title in a major conference. I think Bielema would crush it here, he has owned the B1G west and husker fans would absolutely eat up his style of play. 

19 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

People throwing out Scott Frost's name is pretty comical. I had a buddy who lived in Cedar Falls, and he was at a bar drinking and had a few with Scott Frost. Frost was a coach there at the time. He asked if he is going to come back and coach at Nebraska some day. The only thing he said was, "f#*k Nebraska" and changed the subject. 

Hard to believe. About twelve years ago, my dad was at the one bar in our area of Papillion when in walked Scott Frost. My dad drove home, grabbed our cased NU football and drove back for Frost to sign. He talked to Frost about Nebraska and they had a great conversation. Depending on the times of each situation in Frost's life, these two situations could be true... But I'm inclined to believe your friend (not you) is full of it.

The only non-anecdotal source we have of how SF feels about Nebraska since graduating are the blogs he's written (in which he is obviously very pro Nebraska).

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, ebohnart said:

The problem is of the coaches I would like to see in the position, I doubt the university is going to want to fork over the dough required to get a coach of such caliber. I think it's part of the reason they settled on Riley anyway.

If you were given 50 million to go and sign a coach to a 4 year contract, who would you hire then? 

I'm not sure who should be the coach but i do believe that Nebraska is a unique place. With the recruiting disadvantages because of location i dont think that you can run an offense with two tight ends that can't catch and a statue qb under center. Nebraska will never out recruit the schools that are closer to talent that run those systems.

I dont know enough about x's and o's to say what the perfect offense would be but one that is tough and fundamentally sound is a must. Riley's teams have always been mistake/penalty prone even back to osu when he was losing to big sky conference teams.

This teams needs a coach and culture that riley cant and has never been capable of. He's a nice guy i wish it would have worked out but he's in over his head.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I dont know enough about x's and o's to say what the perfect offense would be but one that is tough and fundamentally sound is a must. Riley's teams have always been mistake/penalty prone even back to osu when he was losing to big sky conference teams.

Offense is so often highlighted in these recruiting discussions, but it is really overblown. It's not that hard to recruit to an offense because the offense can dictate. Defense is the side of the ball where recruiting really gets reflected. If you don't have it, they can attack it. Defense is where the real force multipliers exist. You can drop a lot more into coverage with some stud DLs. You can play man across the field? All of a sudden your defensive coordinator looks like a genius.

You can do a lot more schematically to hide deficiencies on offense. Run where they ain't. Can't recruit speed and size at receiver? You can do a lot with a small guy out of the slot. A big reason so many teams utilize the shotgun and 4 receiver sets is talent neutralization. It takes less time to teach less techniques, and you can use spacing and angles to dictate numbers. The teams that are good at stopping those schemes, though.....they make up those numerical mismatches with talent.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, ebohnart said:

Not Riley. 

Bob Stoops

Les Miles

Scott Frost

Calhoun

idk, anyone but Riley. 

Why do people keep saying Bob Stoops?? Why would he come back to coach at Nebraska when he could have just stayed at Oklahoma and been much better off? He is not a viable option. Miles is likely not a viable option either.

Frost? Maybe but he certainly wouldn't demand more than NU is willing to pay nor would Calhoun. Maybe they would be great hires but they are certainly not proven elite coaches.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Why do people keep saying Bob Stoops?? Why would he come back to coach at Nebraska when he could have just stayed at Oklahoma and been much better off? He is not a viable option. Miles is likely not a viable option either.

Frost? Maybe but he certainly wouldn't demand more than NU is willing to pay nor would Calhoun. Maybe they would be great hires but they are certainly not proven elite coaches.

You asked, I answered. You didn't say it had to be plausible. A girl can dream...

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Offense is so often highlighted in these recruiting discussions, but it is really overblown. It's not that hard to recruit to an offense because the offense can dictate. Defense is the side of the ball where recruiting really gets reflected. If you don't have it, they can attack it. Defense is where the real force multipliers exist. You can drop a lot more into coverage with some stud DLs. You can play man across the field? All of a sudden your defensive coordinator looks like a genius.

You can do a lot more schematically to hide deficiencies on offense. Run where they ain't. Can't recruit speed and size at receiver? You can do a lot with a small guy out of the slot. A big reason so many teams utilize the shotgun and 4 receiver sets is talent neutralization. It takes less time to teach less techniques, and you can use spacing and angles to dictate numbers. The teams that are good at stopping those schemes, though.....they make up those numerical mismatches with talent.

Riley doesn't do any of these things. He doesn't spread teams out and he's only ever been successful when he's had nfl quarterbacks and those dont grow on tree's. And those slot receivers speilman and Lindsey aren't even out there.

First off, as of right now Nebraska is not an elite job.  T.O. wasn't an elite coach when hired.  Bob Devaney wasn't an elite coach when hired......!

They figured it out.  They found ways to recruit and win here.  The difference is you at least saw signs of a winner being built in there early tenure.  We haven't seen that from anyone since Solich.

Find me an elite Coach who will leave what they have already to come here and take a chance on buidling a winner...........Stoops was having issues with some boosters.  They wanted brother Mike fired, and Bob wasn't going to do it.  Thats what really happened in all of that. 

But if I were going to start a search, he is the one first on the list.

• Plus1 1