Who should we hire

I think the word "experience" is being looked at in the wrong way.  It is not about the amount of experience that you have it is about what you learned and how did during the experience.  

Now, if you have been a head coach for 20 years and your own fans call you Mediocre Mike maybe you don't hire that guy...

Right now we are sitting here with possibly the worst coach in the Big Ten West...maybe Lovie Smith is worse but it is close.  The sad part...NU could have hired any of the other coaches in the West with the exception of Fitz.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Is anyone else still amazing that SE (if he is being honest) only had one coach in mind?  I mean, that makes me shake my head.  He basically has unlimited resources at a school in a great conference with an amazing tradition and he only had one name and that was the only coach called/met?

At the time I argued that the university would be foolish to let a single person solely decide on the person to be put in the highest paid position in the state. I also do not see how MR was allowed to bring in his cruddy OSU staff.

18 hours ago, skers44 said:

People id LOVE to see

Les Miles

DJ Durkin

John Harbaugh (would be AMAZING)

Dave Aranda

Mike Leach

Any of these guys imo would be GREAT hires

Mike Leach would not be a great hire.  People who piss and moan about our lack of run game commitment would literally explode if we hired him.

13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Is anyone else still amazing that SE (if he is being honest) only had one coach in mind?  I mean, that makes me shake my head.  He basically has unlimited resources at a school in a great conference with an amazing tradition and he only had one name and that was the only coach called/met?

It's not amazing, it's a farce.  ZERO chance Riley was the first call.

• Plus1 1

Trusting what SE says was his strategy in hiring a coach is misguided. This is the same man that once said he wouldn't comment on the status of a coach or program during the season because of a personal policy. He has routinely violated that policy in defense of his hire. He has made a lot of decisions during his time to degrade the trust among all the stakeholders.

This is unrelated, but just consider how impactful Harvey Perlman has been on Nebraska football. He hired Steve Pederson who hired Bill Callahan. He helped hire Tom Osborne who then hired Bo Pelini. He helped hire Shawn Eichorst (with apparently little to no input from TO) who then hires Mike Riley.