Who should we hire

There has been a lot of comments about a new head coach.  The head coach needs to have a good pedigree learning under a winner but smart enough to know people and how motivate them= both players and assistant coaches.  This team has some good players- better than the forums comments sometimes say.  I remember Bill Jennings appearing on the Sunday football show with Bob Zenner- saying we were losing because we just don't have the players.

Then a guy named Devaney came to town.  He won that year, 1962, with the mostly the same players that Jennings ran down.  Devaney kept two of Jenning's assistants and brought in four new coaches.  Incidentally, the Huskers had some players that became greast NFL stars from that era. 

From Wikipedia, maybe some insight about coaching prospects at Lincoln.

Wyoming[edit]

Devaney's first college head coaching job was at the University of Wyoming, where he went 35–10–5 (.750) in five seasons between 1957 and 1961. The Cowboys won the Sun Bowl in his second season and won or shared the Skyline Conference title in his final four seasons in Laramie. Following the 1961 season, he was hired at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln at an annual salary of $17,000.[1]

Nebraska[edit]

Devaney was the fourth choice of Nebraska's athletic director, Tippy Dye. Utah's Ray Nagel and Utah State's John Ralston had turned down the job. Michigan State coach Duffy Daugherty also turned down Dye, but recommended Devaney, his former assistant, for the Cornhuskers. When Devaney balked at leaving Wyoming for Nebraska, it was Daugherty who convinced him to accept the position because he could potentially win a national title at Nebraska, a goal that Wyoming was very unlikely to obtain. Devaney joined Nebraska in 1962 and immediately reestablished the program as a force in the Big Eight Conference. Prior to Devaney's arrival, Nebraska football had fallen on hard times with seven consecutive losing seasons. The 1961 team under Bill Jennings went 3–6–1 overall and 2–5 in conference. After a winning tradition up until the early 1940s, Nebraska had only two winning seasons in the two decades preceding Devaney's arrival.[2]

Devaney engineered an immediate turnaround with a 9–2 record in 1962 that included a victory in the Gotham Bowl at Yankee Stadium over the Miami Hurricanes.

These were the Husker coaching staff in 1962.  These guys went on to be long term coaches on the staff.  The head coach is important but the assistants are the make or break ingredient.   A former player once told me that Devaney usually spent the practice time in the tower and the assistants ran everything on practice field.  I expect Devaney ran and coached the coaches but he was also the personality of the team.

Coaching staff[edit]

Name Title First year
in this position
Years at Nebraska Alma Mater
Bob Devaney Head Coach 1962 1962–1972 Alma
John Melton   1962 1962–1988 Wyoming
Cletus Fischer   1960 1960–1985 Nebraska
Mike Corgan Running Backs 1962 1962–1982 Notre Dame
George Kelly   1960 1960–1968  
Jim Ross   1962 1962–1976  
Carl Selmer Offensive Line 1962

1962–1972

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

Hence, they'll never come here.

I mean, Nick Saban would probably come here if we offered him 50 million dollars a year. But we won't ever do that, so practically speaking, he won't ever come here.

He wouldn't come there and you would not want him because he knows he would do poorly outside of he's recruiting hot bed. He was a mediocre coach at MSU and downright bad in the NFL, himself he admitted he prefers college over pro because in the NFL he has to deal with recruiting parity. Now he is very good at recruiting that hot bed of those who dont want to move to far from home, but that does not translate well for him away from there. It was no great surprise that he was the loudest and  leading the hysteria over Harbaugh fishing in what he considers he's waters.

4 hours ago, 1995 Redux said:

It's not amazing, it's a farce.  ZERO chance Riley was the first call.

Riley may have been SE's first call. The following is pure speculation, I have no facts other than what I read on this board. It appears that SE is an egomaniac. I can imagine TO wondering down to Bo's office, working with Bo, asking Bo what he needed to be successful, and being very supportive. I imagine SE summoning Bo to his office, complaining when Bo shows up 5 minutes late, and making it clear to Bo that he is boss, and that Bo should bow down. This could explain part of Bo's attitude change. Bo being naturally disagreeable, rebelled in every way. SE wanted to show the world that Bo was not a good coach, so he hired a career 500 coach to come to Nebraska and do better than Bo, and SE was arrogant enough to believe MR would do better than Bo. The added bonus was SE now had a football coach who would bow down to him.

4 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Riley may have been SE's first call. The following is pure speculation, I have no facts other than what I read on this board. It appears that SE is an egomaniac. I can imagine TO wondering down to Bo's office, working with Bo, asking Bo what he needed to be successful, and being very supportive. I imagine SE summoning Bo to his office, complaining when Bo shows up 5 minutes late, and making it clear to Bo that he is boss, and that Bo should bow down. This could explain part of Bo's attitude change. Bo being naturally disagreeable, rebelled in every way. SE wanted to show the world that Bo was not a good coach, so he hired a career 500 coach to come to Nebraska and do better than Bo. The added bonus was SE now had a football coach who would bow down to him.

Bo's exit meeting with the players tells us how Bo felt about SE and the extent that even 50% of it was true, you can see why a lot of folks think SE came in to fire him, period

45 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

Bo's exit meeting with the players tells us how Bo felt about SE and the extent that even 50% of it was true, you can see why a lot of folks think SE came in to fire him, period

How Naive  was SE to even allow that to happen.  Your a lawyer and you can't put a no contact clause into the contract? Me thinks he wasn't a very good attorney either. 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

I wouldn't be against Dan Mullen as well.  Probably Frost, Miles, Mullen and then possibly Bielema.  Need to keep watching  more of Durkin at Maryland to provide much of a opinion.  

Yes Bielema would be a tough pill to swallow as your head coach.  God Wisconsin fans would be unbearable if he were here. 

Why do people want Bielema? Disregard what he did at Wisconsin he replaced Alvarez. That wasn't a rebuild. At Arkansas he's 26-27 overall and 10-22 in conference. What has he shown at Arkansas that proves he'd be a good fit here? He's already on the hot seat where he is.

• Plus1 4
5 hours ago, Sker4Ever said:

David Shaw is the guy I'd like to see at NU. Tough to pull him from his alma mater but with Washington and Oregon getting better in the division it will only get tougher for Stanford. Love his offense and they have a true identity.

I like Shaw.  I think his team looks like the Old Neb - maybe not the triple option but the power running and good solid D.