Who should we hire

7 hours ago, Whistlepig said:

Bo's exit meeting with the players tells us how Bo felt about SE and the extent that even 50% of it was true, you can see why a lot of folks think SE came in to fire him, period

Anyone trying to defend Eichorst's treatment of coaches is deceiving themselves. Eichorst was hired to fire Pelini. There is simply no other way around it. Perlman had wanted Pelini out for some time. That was Job #1 when Eichorst was hired.

Pelini had decided to go after the Miami job in 2010. He had an inside track - Mike Ekeler played football at Kansas State with then-Miami AD Kirby Hocutt. But Miami hired Al Golden instead. A couple months later Hocutt leaves Miami for Texas Tech. Miami then hires .... Shawn Eichorst. Pretty easy for Eichorst to find out that Pelini wanted the Miami job (one way or another at some point along the line). A couple years later, Eichorst interviews for the Nebraska job. No idea if that knowledge helped him get the job or not but now there is a Chancellor that wants Pelini out and an AD who knows he wanted out.

Eichorst wanted to fire Pelini after the 2013 season but couldn't get enough boosters on board to get it done. So now he's gone through a year wanting to fire Pelini and has to sit through another one trying to drum up enough support to get it done. How can anyone be surprised that there wasn't much of a relationship there. Eichorst trying to play it off as being busy is a thin cover story. After Eichorst hires his own guy, obviously they're going to have a close relationship - Eichorst has a vested interest in him succeeding.

The second paragraph is exactly what happened - straight from the horse's mouth. The third has been widely rumored and makes too much sense to not be true. Trying to pass off the bad relationship as being only Pelini's fault is disingenuous.

• Plus1 2

Also, just to chime in on Les Miles - no chance he's who we want.

Not that he didn't have success.  But he had a huge talent advantage but completely failed for years to have even a competent offense.

In 2013 he had Zach Mettenberger at QB (started 10 games over two years for the Tennessee Titans), Jeremy Hill at RB (fourth-year Cincinnati Bengal), Jarvis Landry (two-time 1000 yard receiver for the Dolphins) and one Odell Beckham Jr. playing WR.  That offense finished 87th in the country under Les.

• Plus1 8
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not that he didn't have success.  But he had a huge talent advantage but completely failed for years to have even a competent offense.

In 2013 he had Zach Mettenberger at QB (started 10 games over two years for the Tennessee Titans), Jeremy Hill at RB (fourth-year Cincinnati Bengal), Jarvis Landry (two-time 1000 yard receiver for the Dolphins) and one Odell Beckham Jr. playing WR.  That offense finished 87th in the country under Les.

Good post.  Agree on Les.  He underachieved.  I'd only take him in some consultative role but not as head coach or one of the coordinators.  

8 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Riley may have been SE's first call. The following is pure speculation, I have no facts other than what I read on this board. It appears that SE is an egomaniac. I can imagine TO wondering down to Bo's office, working with Bo, asking Bo what he needed to be successful, and being very supportive. I imagine SE summoning Bo to his office, complaining when Bo shows up 5 minutes late, and making it clear to Bo that he is boss, and that Bo should bow down. This could explain part of Bo's attitude change. Bo being naturally disagreeable, rebelled in every way. SE wanted to show the world that Bo was not a good coach, so he hired a career 500 coach to come to Nebraska and do better than Bo, and SE was arrogant enough to believe MR would do better than Bo. The added bonus was SE now had a football coach who would bow down to him.

IMO, I think the more likely explanation is what Mav touched on:

Eichorst wanted to fire Pelini and didn't have a vested interest in helping him succeed. He has gone above and beyond to publicly support Riley in ways he flat out refused to do for Pelini.

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Truth...great post Mav

1 hour ago, unlfan said:

Arguably? There's no doubt it is.

long gone are the days where Nebraska has the ability to pull away power 5 head coaches outside of perennial cellar dweller programs. Actually, I'm not even sure they were ever really here because we have never done it.

Well, the pitch could be: Look at the recruiting you have done at a place like Stanford, now with your Cali connections, take it to Nebraska, where you can get the better players with a lower academic standard to get into the university

I've browsed a few of these pages, and I'm not gonna read them all. But if I can throw my 2 cents in...

You guys need an up & comer. Don't go after a "proven winner," at least on the main stage. From outside looking in, Nebraska is not a top 20 job right now. Pelini was let go after multiple winning seasons, and the search for a proven winner was on, and you end up with, IMO, not a proven winner. Because of the success that you guys had 20 years ago, many of the fans have unrealistic expectations. Clemson won a national championship in 1981, you guys may remember, and struggled with this exact thing until the program totally reset in 2008 with Dabo. And that made a lot of fans very, very nervous. Even when Dabo had a down year, he went and hired Chad Morris. I'll never forget hearing an old man say to me that it was an awful hire because Tulsa had only won 2 games with Morris as OC. After the Orange Bowl Disaster, Dabo hired Venables, and since has all but locked him up as DC for a long time. Most importantly, Dabo changed the culture. The players want to be around, they love each other, they love helping each other out and they love winning together. Sure, recruiting has helped the winning, but the culture has helped the recruiting. It's best for the fans to stay out of the process, and let a coach come in and do his thing. Don't worry if it doesn't fit the running tradition, wins will solve those peoples concerns. But that's just my take. 

-AE

• Plus1 1