Who should we hire

56 minutes ago, Judoka said:

I think you meant insanity, but in a good way of course.

No, I meant sanity, like when you you see play calls that are insane and you ask the coach how he made it out of PeeWee league.... as opposed to saying " darn, we'll have to work on that and maybe in three years we'll have the right players and calls."

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

No, I meant sanity, like when you you see play calls that are insane and you ask the coach how he made it out of PeeWee league.... as opposed to saying " darn, we'll have to work on that and maybe in three years we'll have the right players and calls."

Yeah, I was making a reference to Miles "Mad Hatter" nickname/behavior thus the "Insanity" comment. :dunno

21 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Riley may have been SE's first call. The following is pure speculation, I have no facts other than what I read on this board. It appears that SE is an egomaniac. I can imagine TO wondering down to Bo's office, working with Bo, asking Bo what he needed to be successful, and being very supportive. I imagine SE summoning Bo to his office, complaining when Bo shows up 5 minutes late, and making it clear to Bo that he is boss, and that Bo should bow down. This could explain part of Bo's attitude change. Bo being naturally disagreeable, rebelled in every way. SE wanted to show the world that Bo was not a good coach, so he hired a career 500 coach to come to Nebraska and do better than Bo, and SE was arrogant enough to believe MR would do better than Bo. The added bonus was SE now had a football coach who would bow down to him.

I don't blame SE for wanting to get rid of Bo in the slightest. No matter how many games the guy won. I mean yesterday the guy literally played a convicted rapist in a blowout game this weekend for no reason, despite literally everybody in the country including Tressel telling him not to. And afterwards, he said you had to be "happy for the kid." 

If SE tried to hire the opposite of Bo, I can understand why. I can imagine him being impossibly selfish and brutal to work with. I don't think SE is the egomaniac, I think he had no way to handle a coach who was an absolute psychopath.

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, indyhusker93 said:

I don't blame SE for wanting to get rid of Bo in the slightest. No matter how many games the guy won. I mean yesterday the guy literally played a convicted rapist in a blowout game this weekend for no reason, despite literally everybody in the country including Tressel telling him not to. And afterwards, he said you had to be "happy for the kid." 

If SE tried to hire the opposite of Bo, I can understand why. I can imagine him being impossibly selfish and brutal to work with. I don't think SE is the egomaniac, I think he had no way to handle a coach who was an absolute psychopath.

You mean the kid whose dad tried to shoot a judge outside of the courthouse and was shot by that same judge?  Yeah That family is a giant cluster*uck in itself.  If I recall Bo even said the kid wouldn't play this year as well, see how long that took, 3 games.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

You mean the kid whose dad tried to shoot a judge outside of the courthouse and was shot by that same judge?  Yeah That family is a giant cluster*uck in itself.  If I recall Bo even said the kid wouldn't play this year as well, see how long that took, 3 games.

Exactly, pretty unbelievable. Article I read said he wasn't even on the team at first but Bo heard he was on campus and begged him to play. Even drove to the kids house after he quit and told him he would start if he came back, against Tressel's wishes. And then played him anyway in the third quarter of a game that was 52-6.

41 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Brent Venables, as long as he hires the best O Line recruiter in the world.  Venables can restore the defense to what they should be, and the O Line coach can rebuild the Pipeline.

I have a KSU fan in my office.  He and I go back and worth about NU vs KSU.  He would love to get Venables to KSU to replace the Ancient One.  The Ancient One wants his son to replace him.  But I would agree - Venables would be a good hire if he had strong OC support.     The pipeline needs to be rebuilt and the 'Nebraska Way' of playing football.  We'll never get all of the 5 star players at the skilled positions to compete wt Bama and other schools in the recruiting hotbeds.  But if we can keep rolling out 5th year senior OL and DL, LB and mix in some stars in the skilled positions we could hold our own.

Scott Frost and Brent Venables are still the only realistic names that have been put forth in any of these threads.

If you're the Nebraska AD (department, not director), regardless of who's involved, you have to take a chance on Frost. His stock keeps rising like crazy, and if you hire a new coach this year or next year, that ISN'T Scott Frost, you set yourself up to miss out on him completely. You take the gamble, and if it works out, you've got your guy for the next 20 years.

It's the right play. The upside is massive, and there's not a whole lot to be lost at this point.

• Plus1 3

I could be laughed off the board but I'll give you the name of an up-and-comer who I believe is going places: Adam Dorrel, former head coach at NCAA Division II Northwest Missouri State

University in Maryville and currently head coach at Abilene Christian in Texas. 

Dorrel is a native of Maryville, located a bit over 2 hours from Lincoln.  All he did at Northwest Missouri State University was to go 15-3 in playoffs and win 3 Division II National Championships, in 2013, 2015 and 2016. His overall record at NWMSU was 76-8.   Dorrel is currently in his first season at Abilene Christian,  a Division I FCS school.

I have heard interviews with Dorrel.  He is an extremely positive individual who seems to communicate well.  I understand his players at NWMSU loved playing for him.  His 2016 roster at NWMSU included some 17 players from Nebraska.  I'm not saying he's a better choice than Scott Frost would be, just that he's been extremely successful at lower coaching levels and

is someone to keep in mind.  In my opinion we haven't heard the last from Dorrel.

• Plus1 2