Who should we hire

5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'd be very curious how fans would feel if we had a coach with the results of someone like Mike Gundy.

Only one conference title in 13 seasons, and a 7-8 win season for every one or two 10+ win seasons, but they have really good years mixed in there too.

4-7

7-6

7-6

9-4, #16

9-4, #25

11-2, #10

12-1, conference champs, fiesta bowl win, #3

8-5

10-3, #17

7-6

10-3, sugar bowl appearance, #19

10-3, #11

I think OSU is a playoff team this year.  I think they will beat OU. Their QB is that good.  I like Gundy - living here in Tulsa, I remember him playing in HS and then standing up to The Boz as a freshman.  Gundy, while professing to be A MAN 10 years ago is now 50 and is a mature coach who has found some good coordinators.  Offense has never been a problem with him - he's finally got what appears to be a good D to go with it.  A few years ago, his 12-1 team,  should have been in the NCG that ended up being LSU vs Bama rematch. Bama didn't win their division but the media darlings but them in.  And they won the rematch against LSU (kind of like OU beating us in the 78 orange bowl rematch).  OK State was undefeated until they lost to Iowa State wt a missed field goal at the end of the game.  However, the day before the head womens basketball coach and others were killed in a plane crash and the football team played flat as expected.   They went on to beat Stanford and Andrew Luck in the bowl game.  But I think Ok State was the best team that year.    So, yes I like Gundy. He's learned to be a good overall manager of the team and has hired good OC and DC and allowed them to do their jobs. 

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes of course.    The question I was thinking about - would Frost bring us back to power football (think old NU - not the triple option however, or like Wisc, Stanford) or would he be like

what we saw at Oregon?  My gut is that he knows NU well enough that we wouldn't be going back to a west coast offense, a fast paced Oregon offense.  So, I think, if he goes back to the power game, we all know we need a pipeline established and it may take a few years to make that change to WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP :D.  Actually, I think we have good players, we need better, but with the right coach, we can get over that 9 win slump and win the CCG.  

Maybe to break the Solich curse:ahhhhhhhh we need a former NU player to become HC - a link to the past to ward off the 9 win evil spirits :o. Hey bring Turner Gill back as OC - doubly break the curse. Keep JP as DL coach, Zac Taylor as QB & receivers coach.  (I really miss Zac Taylor and Glantz - the best QBs since Eric Crouch - great leaders on the field - we haven't seen that kind of leadership since.)

Maybe we need to appease that Gypsy Solich and bring him back and let him coach another game, it seemed to work in those movies like "Thinner" and such.  We much appease the person who cursed us.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Mavric said:

Anyone trying to defend Eichorst's treatment of coaches is deceiving themselves. Eichorst was hired to fire Pelini. There is simply no other way around it. Perlman had wanted Pelini out for some time. That was Job #1 when Eichorst was hired.

Pelini had decided to go after the Miami job in 2010. He had an inside track - Mike Ekeler played football at Kansas State with then-Miami AD Kirby Hocutt. But Miami hired Al Golden instead. A couple months later Hocutt leaves Miami for Texas Tech. Miami then hires .... Shawn Eichorst. Pretty easy for Eichorst to find out that Pelini wanted the Miami job (one way or another at some point along the line). A couple years later, Eichorst interviews for the Nebraska job. No idea if that knowledge helped him get the job or not but now there is a Chancellor that wants Pelini out and an AD who knows he wanted out.

Eichorst wanted to fire Pelini after the 2013 season but couldn't get enough boosters on board to get it done. So now he's gone through a year wanting to fire Pelini and has to sit through another one trying to drum up enough support to get it done. How can anyone be surprised that there wasn't much of a relationship there. Eichorst trying to play it off as being busy is a thin cover story. After Eichorst hires his own guy, obviously they're going to have a close relationship - Eichorst has a vested interest in him succeeding.

The second paragraph is exactly what happened - straight from the horse's mouth. The third has been widely rumored and makes too much sense to not be true. Trying to pass off the bad relationship as being only Pelini's fault is disingenuous.

Let's assume this is all true (which I think it probably is). I've never thought the bad relationship was all Pelini's fault or maybe even partially Pelini's fault. But how can we fault SE for doing what he was hired to do? Seems like it doesn't count at all towards what kind of an AD he is. The powers that be wanted Pelini out and SE was the hatchet man. That doesn't make him a bad AD but in Bo's eyes it sure might make him what Bo called him. IMO, SE is responsible for hiring MR and that's about the extent of it. If MR doesn't/isn't getting the job done, game over for SE also. And it doesn't even mean he is a bad AD. Just means he made a bad hire. But all that Pelini BS....that was just him doing what he was hired to do and it doesn't excuse Bo's lack of results on the field. If I knew my boss wanted to fire my a$$ and I was getting paid what Bo was, my response would be to make it impossible for him to fire me by kicking the dog crap out of every team we faced. Then I'd generate support to run off SE. Bo went about things in another fashion.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I really don't see where SE is our main football problem. I've got no dog in the fight, I just don't get it.

• Plus1 1

Exactly how are mens sports programs doing at UNL right now?  Some of the Big 10's worst in each sport.  Baseball has made some improvements, but if anybody other than Erstad coached them, he would have been gone 2 seasons ago.  SE hasn't done anything really sprecial in hires that he has made to UNL.  He hasn't really done his job so to speak by bringing in a top tier football coach.  He is the man who hired the man.  It does fall on his shoulders right now.  Thats why he had a presser after the game.  He is the man.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Let's assume this is all true (which I think it probably is). I've never thought the bad relationship was all Pelini's fault or maybe even partially Pelini's fault. But how can we fault SE for doing what he was hired to do? Seems like it doesn't count at all towards what kind of an AD he is. The powers that be wanted Pelini out and SE was the hatchet man. That doesn't make him a bad AD but in Bo's eyes it sure might make him what Bo called him. IMO, SE is responsible for hiring MR and that's about the extent of it. If MR doesn't/isn't getting the job done, game over for SE also. And it doesn't even mean he is a bad AD. Just means he made a bad hire. But all that Pelini BS....that was just him doing what he was hired to do and it doesn't excuse Bo's lack of results on the field. If I knew my boss wanted to fire my a$$ and I was getting paid what Bo was, my response would be to make it impossible for him to fire me by kicking the dog crap out of every team we faced. Then I'd generate support to run off SE. Bo went about things in another fashion.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I really don't see where SE is our main football problem. I've got no dog in the fight, I just don't get it.

See; Dave Brandon.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I could be wrong, and I haven't watch a ton of his stuff at Central Florida, but I think he likes to run an uptempo spread, but focuses on a power run game within that spread.  I think it's very similar to what Taggart now runs at Oregon.

I think I recall reading an interview with Frost years ago and he had been thinking about how to integrate some of the power run game that Nebraska ran into Oregon's spread offense.  I haven't watched a UCF game since Frost took over but I'm curious what his offense looks like.  Appears UCF is playing MD same time as our game.... hmmh, choices.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, saunders45 said:

See; Dave Brandon.

I don't have any problem holding him accountable. He should go before or at the same time MR does. But he is not the problem and replacing him does nothing directly for the football product. If the next guy makes a good hire and if it works out, great. But that AD will likely have as much to do with getting beat by NIU or struggling through these 3 games as SE did. I know he is ultimately responsible for what happens but I think you get my point.

1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

I don't have any problem holding him accountable. He should go before or at the same time MR does. But he is not the problem and replacing him does nothing directly for the football product. If the next guy makes a good hire and if it works out, great. But that AD will likely have as much to do with getting beat by NIU or struggling through these 3 games as SE did. I know he is ultimately responsible for what happens but I think you get my point.

Pretty much every single article or podcast I've read and listened to this week from the national guys (Sports Illustrated, USA Today, The Athletic, Fox Sports, ESPN, Yahoo) all have said the same thing. Eichorst didn't do his due diligence when he fired Bo. You replace a guy when you're sure you can do better. Riley would have still been available 10, 20, 30 days later, because nobody was hiring him away from Oregon State. He was past his prime (2008-2010, he had been sliding, and wasn't a good fit.

It's pretty simple. Do you trust Eichorst to make the next hire? I don't think I do.

• Plus1 6
2 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

Pretty much every single article or podcast I've read and listened to this week from the national guys (Sports Illustrated, USA Today, The Athletic, Fox Sports, ESPN, Yahoo) all have said the same thing. Eichorst didn't do his due diligence when he fired Bo. You replace a guy when you're sure you can do better. Riley would have still been available 10, 20, 30 days later, because nobody was hiring him away from Oregon State. He was past his prime (2008-2010, he had been sliding, and wasn't a good fit.

It's pretty simple. Do you trust Eichorst to make the next hire? I don't think I do.

That is interesting about not doing his due diligence.  

I would take it one more step and say he honestly thought anyone coach could win 9 games here and with that thinking he went with the cheap/safe hire...when he could have went after a James Franklin (Who I begged for).

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

Hell no!! First one that needs to go is Eichorst. Eichorst needs to be gone yesterday.

• Plus1 4
25 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

I think I agree with hiring the Miss St coach....proven P5 coach, not everyone on board with a Frost hire because he's not really proven yet (although I would still take the chance).

But first get rid of the Wisconsin JV in the head office... this whole current experiment just stinks.

• Plus1 1