Who should we hire

1 hour ago, saunders45 said:

Pretty much every single article or podcast I've read and listened to this week from the national guys (Sports Illustrated, USA Today, The Athletic, Fox Sports, ESPN, Yahoo) all have said the same thing. Eichorst didn't do his due diligence when he fired Bo. You replace a guy when you're sure you can do better. Riley would have still been available 10, 20, 30 days later, because nobody was hiring him away from Oregon State. He was past his prime (2008-2010, he had been sliding, and wasn't a good fit.

It's pretty simple. Do you trust Eichorst to make the next hire? I don't think I do.

I wholeheartedly agree. Eichorst needs to go. But my point has been that many are acting like that is enough. Like football things will improve because he is gone. Other than the bad hire, he has had about zero influence on our play on the field, and that will be the case for the next guy as well. He'll either make a good hire and look like a genius or he'll make a bad one and be vilified....or he'll make a good hire and that coach won't succeed for a myriad of other reasons. Maybe it's a stupid point I'm trying to make.

1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

I wholeheartedly agree. Eichorst needs to go. But my point has been that many are acting like that is enough. Like football things will improve because he is gone. Other than the bad hire, he has had about zero influence on our play on the field, and that will be the case for the next guy as well. He'll either make a good hire and look like a genius or he'll make a bad one and be vilified....or he'll make a good hire and that coach won't succeed for a myriad of other reasons. Maybe it's a stupid point I'm trying to make.

This is where I disagree a bit, although I do see what you're saying. I think Eichorst has had a pretty significant impact in more ways than might be obvious. He's likely had considerable influence on the support staff decisions made to help Riley succeed. He's also the organization's leader and his personality, traits and the qualities he values get filtered down to the whole department. Sometimes that's a good thing but, other times, it may not be.

There have also been a lot of strange things surrounding Eichorst. One was out of his control (Perlman seemingly plucking him out of nowhere). Others include his distant nature with Bo, his odd hiring of Mike Riley and his proclivity to break with 'policy' and now comment on all things football during the season, something he flat out refused to do with Bo. Now, I understand why he did things this way, but I don't think that makes them any less shady.

I honestly think you wait to see who plays in the NC game,  look at all 4 or the coordinators and whoever has any HC experience you offer them a lot of money.  They will have had their hand in a NC, they'll be hot so you'll probably keep the recruits you have and get some new ones that you wouldn't have.  Obviously this coach will have been in a winning environment and hopefully learned a few things along the way 

1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I honestly think you wait to see who plays in the NC game,  look at all 4 or the coordinators and whoever has any HC experience you offer them a lot of money.  They will have had their hand in a NC, they'll be hot so you'll probably keep the recruits you have and get some new ones that you wouldn't have.  Obviously this coach will have been in a winning environment and hopefully learned a few things along the way 

We're 3 games in and with our schedule a bowl game isn't anywhere near a sure thing. There's no way you wait till mid January to start narrowing down coaches. I'll be disappointed if we don't know our head coach by the first week of December.

24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This is where I disagree a bit, although I do see what you're saying. I think Eichorst has had a pretty significant impact in more ways than might be obvious. He's likely had considerable influence on the support staff decisions made to help Riley succeed. He's also the organization's leader and his personality, traits and the qualities he values get filtered down to the whole department. Sometimes that's a good thing but, other times, it may not be.

There have also been a lot of strange things surrounding Eichorst. One was out of his control (Perlman seemingly plucking him out of nowhere). Others include his distant nature with Bo, his odd hiring of Mike Riley and his proclivity to break with 'policy' and now comment on all things football during the season, something he flat out refused to do with Bo. Now, I understand why he did things this way, but I don't think that makes them any less shady.

I think most of those things have logical explanations. He was distant with Bo because he knew he'd be firing him. Same reason he didn't comment during the season for Bo, it was already a foregone conclusion, he didn't have to spin it for the public like now. I agree on the odd hiring of Riley and any apparent lack of looking elsewhere. I get that leader's values trickle down etc., I just think that part of it is of minor significance in this type of setting. He could be highly demanding of perfection and performance but do we really think that would change what we're seeing. IMO, if it's the coach demanding it, sure but if it's the AD it probably has very little effect.

IMO he made a bad hire and has to be held accountable for it but other than that, he probably has little influence in the football arena and how the hire works out is largely out of the AD's control. That's why he should have done a better job with the hire. That's about the only shot he gets. Nobody cares if the tennis coach is a stinker but football, basketball, volleyball.....you better do your due diligence and then hope like hell the stars align cuz you're joined at the hip on day one.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

We're 3 games in and with our schedule a bowl game isn't anywhere near a sure thing. There's no way you wait till mid January to start narrowing down coaches. I'll be disappointed if we don't know our head coach by the first week of December.

Well maybe this team has a come to Jesus moment and realizes they probably have to do more than what the coahing staff is asking of them right now and they turn in a solid season and go bowling.  Crazier things have happened 

@El Diaco, I don't think you're wrong. I just think there's a more influence than what may seem apparent. Most of the support staff brought on since 2014 has largely been influenced/determined by SE (I'm not talking about assistant coaches, to be clear. I'm talking about the front office people, recruiting assistants, Devaney, etc). Nebraska has a larger support staff right now than ever and they've all got their finger in the pie.

The rest of my opinion is based on speculation and perspective, I'll admit. The football program is his biggest money maker and the most important part of his job. I imagine he has direct influence over just about everything except practice, game prep and team management.

The hire is a pretty big deal, so we agree there. I still want to see MR succeed and I support him so long as he's our coach, but this experiment has certainly been a disappointment.

11 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Well maybe this team has a come to Jesus moment and realizes they probably have to do more than what the coahing staff is asking of them right now and they turn in a solid season and go bowling.  Crazier things have happened 

It's year 3 and we look the same as we did year 1 minus a mobile QB. Have you ever heard of Einstein's definition of insanity?

• Plus1 1

It's trying the same thing Over and over again and expecting the different results.. It's year 3, new offense, new qb, new defense, 3 new coaches on the staff.  I would say they are trying different things... Maybe if Jaimes plays this week we see improved results along the line, maybe Lee gets hurt in practice and POB comes in and lights the world on fire.  Things can happen.. will They? I don't know.  

First, see if you can get Barry Alvarez to come here as an AD. Not sure if he feels inclined to come back here, but maybe he wants to help restore Nebraska football to how it was. If he were AD I would not mind Scott Frost, because Barry can assist him in anything he needs help in coaching wise. Bring in elite recruiters and trusted coaches and we could see a winner. Donte Williams would be the one to keep on staff, dude can recruit elite talent here. Bielema might also be an option if Alvarez is hired, but I like Alvarez and his experience coupled with Scott Frost as an energetic young coach. 

5 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

First, see if you can get Barry Alvarez to come here as an AD. Not sure if he feels inclined to come back here, but maybe he wants to help restore Nebraska football to how it was. If he were AD I would not mind Scott Frost, because Barry can assist him in anything he needs help in coaching wise. Bring in elite recruiters and trusted coaches and we could see a winner. Donte Williams would be the one to keep on staff, dude can recruit elite talent here. Bielema might also be an option if Alvarez is hired, but I like Alvarez and his experience coupled with Scott Frost as an energetic young coach. 

Not so sure about Alvarez as AD. Coaches seem to bail out of Wisconsin faster then any other major program, and they are a very solid program. Not sure if it is Alvarez or the tough academics and weak pay, but nonetheless; it seems Alvarez is the interim head coach for Wisconsin every time they go to the Rose bowl. Makes you wonder if he will just name himself as Nebraska's head coach so he could call himself the head coach of Nebraska.

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Not so sure about Alvarez as AD. Coaches seem to bail out of Wisconsin faster then any other major program, and they are a very solid program. Not sure if it is Alvarez or the tough academics and weak pay, but nonetheless; it seems Alvarez is the interim head coach for Wisconsin every time they go to the Rose bowl. Makes you wonder if he will just name himself as Nebraska's head coach so he could call himself the head coach of Nebraska.

Paul Chryst is not going anywhere anytime soon. Gary Anderson bolted due to the differing styles of play he and Alvarez had. I would prefer Barry over a Trev Alberts because Barry has overseen a successful program in football. He would establish that winning attitude and bring it back to Nebraska. With Scott, I doubt he would want to go anywhere and Barry would love to talk with him and help him develop as a coach. Barry knows the Nebraska brand and built it up at Wiscy, and I wouldn't doubt he could oversee the rebuilding of the Nebraska brand.