Who should we hire

11 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

How and why is our recruiting potential higher than Okie State? 

Since 2007, they've had one top 25 class. We've had 5, including 2 in the top 20, and 2 additional that landed at 26. The way our recruiting class started in the top 10 this year (although that was always likely to drop) is something that Oklahoma State couldn't do. They've had three 10 win seasons, an 11 win season, and a 12 win season in that time frame. If we could pull that off, our recruiting classes would skyrocket into the top 15, no doubt in my mind.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Caliborn72 said:

Since 2007, they've had one top 25 class. We've had 5, including 2 in the top 20, and 2 additional that landed at 26. The way our recruiting class started in the top 10 this year (although that was always likely to drop) is something that Oklahoma State couldn't do. They've had three 10 win seasons, an 11 win season, and a 12 win season in that time frame. If we could pull that off, our recruiting classes would skyrocket into the top 15, no doubt in my mind.

Mike Gundy isn't going anywhere and he shouldn't. His style fits perfect in the B12 and just got a major contract extension/raise. 

13 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

None of this is what I asked.  My question was what do we offer that offers higher recruiting potential than Okie State.  What you just gave me was how Gundy has recruited at Okie State.  Okie State has good facilities.  T Boone Pickens has made sure of it.  They're closer to the recruiting hotbed known as Texas.  I'm not seeing what we offer that is superior to Okie State.  One could argue that Okie State has more to offer which makes one then wonder what his recruiting here would look like?  Personally, I don't see Gundy leaving unless he's fired or the NFL comes a knocking.

Here is the likely deal with Dan Mullen

He's making $4.8M at Mississippi St.  I would venture to guess it is going to take at least $6M to get the conversation going because MSU is going to match $ right out of the chute.  It's probably going to take $7M+ for him to leave.

Obviously I'm no expert, but I love Nebraska.  And i know if I was making what he makes, that is what it would take for me to coach at NU.

And if we'd have to pay 7mil for Mullen, is that what we want? Is he a good choice at that point? Saban and Meyer don't even make that much.

Mullen has done great things at lowly MSU, but that's an entirely different sort of thing than playing for and winning championships at a blue blood. The contexts are so different. You look at the results, Mullen at MSU is pretty much the exact same as Mike Riley at OSU after 2010.

Scott Frost is still the option. Pay him 3-4 million, before somebody else gets to him first, tell him the checkbook is open for bona fide OC/OL/DC/DL assistants, give him everything he needs to make a huge early splash, and let him earn a new contract for 6-7 million after a few years.

Think of it this way. Michigan hired Rich Rodriguez in 2008 after Lloyd Carr retired. They could have hired Harbaugh pre-Stanford/49ers success. It wasn't as much of a no-brainer, but they wouldn't have had to go through another decade of mediocrity, and wouldn't be paying him 9 million a year while also paying buyouts for two previous head coaches.

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, Landlord said:

And if we'd have to pay 7mil for Mullen, is that what we want? Is he a good choice at that point? Saban and Meyer don't even make that much.

Mullen has done great things at lowly MSU, but that's an entirely different sort of thing than playing for and winning championships at a blue blood. The contexts are so different. You look at the results, Mullen at MSU is pretty much the exact same as Mike Riley at OSU after 2010.

Scott Frost is still the option. Pay him 3-4 million, before somebody else gets to him first, tell him the checkbook is open for bona fide OC/OL/DC/DL assistants, give him everything he needs to make a huge early splash, and let him earn a new contract for 6-7 million after a few years.

Think of it this way. Michigan hired Rich Rodriguez in 2008 after Lloyd Carr retired. They could have hired Harbaugh pre-Stanford/49ers success. It wasn't as much of a no-brainer, but they wouldn't have had to go through another decade of mediocrity, and wouldn't be paying him 9 million a year while also paying buyouts for two previous head coaches.

Saban is making $11M this year.

Urb is at almost $7M

On 9/9/2017 at 4:11 PM, speedtoburn said:

My guess is that Riley goes 7-5 or 8-4 this year, and 7-5 or 8-4 next year. At the end of next year, meaningful people will probably get on the train of Riley needing to be on the hot seat. He'll get another year with which he'll go 7-5 or 8-4 and that will be it.

So, my guess is that we are stuck with this joker for at least 2 years, maybe even 3 years.

the sad thing is that deep down inside, I feel like this program has been "poisoned" by a staggering level of ineptitude that has now spanned multiple athletic administrations. For whatever reason, the leaders of our athletic department just cannot right the ship. No one is expecting us to be NC contenders year in and year out, but we most certainly should be the class of the Big Ten West, and frankly I don't ever see that happening.

we need a difference making Head Coach, and I don't see anyone like that wanting to come here. I think the only way we get someone like that is by paying 4 or 5 million a year, cash (and lots of it) will be the catalyst to fix this thing.

Wisconsin is the team we SHOUlD be. Mark my words, Mike Riley will NEVER beat Wisconsin.

it is mind boggling to me that Penn State, a team on the death bed decimated by sanctions, Wisconsin, a team that had had umpteen coaches in recent years, are both able to have more success than we can muster. It is a sad pathetic thing.

The 8 wins went out the door with the lost to NIU. 7 wins will be a miracle. Wouldn't surprise me if 6 is number and 5 wouldn't be that much of surprise. 

• Plus1 1

Mullen would be a good choice, but seeing what he makes at Miss State it is double what we pay Riley. So for him it comes down to if he enjoys the money more then a chance at winning. That is a lot of money to get paid to know you'll never win a division title with Alabama, LSU, Texas AM, in the way. Miss State is probably the 11th hardest job in the SEC.

Nebraska has to think about what they are doing; if they are going to make a change, doing it sooner the better, because in a few months we could be searching for a new head coach along with Tennessee, Arizona State, Notre Dame, and UCLA. Unless we are fully confident Frost is our guy and he will come here, that is some serious competition out there on the head coaching trail.

Don't see Gundy coming here, been hearing his relationship with T Boone isn't that great for about 8 years now but the guy continues to win games in Stillwater and money keeps getting dumped into the program from Pickens, so something is working there.

Frost or Mullen -   :dunno

As much as I like Frost and the potential upside and the lower cost to hire him,  I'm leaning towards Mullen. Why:

NU needs someone who has a very high degree of probability of success.   

Mullen has proven it in the tough SEC.   9th season, 64–42 (.604)  Bowls  5-2

He has connections to the hot recruiting in that area.

I think he would see NU as a step up and a challenge. 

He has sustained success and not a one year flash in the pan.

He has built a quality staff currently however, he is on his 4th DC in as many years.  This is concerning.

Frost is still building his HC resume.  We'll see how this year goes to see the progress.

The upside is that he is young,

a players coach,

has had great mentors as a college player, NFL player, and as a coach

He has been very successful in his other coaching roles

Has connection to west coast, gulf coast recruiting hot beds

would be a less expensive hire and wt success could be a long term coach like Tom and the BobFather.

Instant fan support   (no "who did they just hire!@#*&" as was the case wt MR)

Interesting article on Mullen and MSU

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/mississippi-state-sleeping-monster-defense-just-woke-and-the-sec-should-nervous/iuAYHC3uP6wGyn6AdflSPP/