Who should we hire

I would be a little leery bringing in either Miles or Gundy.  To me they will always be stained by running a dirty program.  I know this was a while ago, but does nobody remember this?

Image result for oklahoma state dirty game

I mean, I know nothing ever came of it, but do you really think it was all fabricated?  Do you want Nebraska to become just another cheating program?

3 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Everybody seems to swoon over Mullen because he made MSU ranked #1 for a short time in 2014 and is coming off a big win against LSU. People seem to forget he had a 5-7 regular season last year, only beating 1 team with a winning record and one of those 5 wins coming against an FCS team.

Frost was 6-6 in regular season with one of those wins vs FCS

With Mullen, you have an experienced coach who is still relatively young, has won pretty big, but that was with a future NFL QB there.  But, he deserves credit for getting Prescott to Mississippi State.

With Frost, you are betting on his potential.  He has a great background from his playing and assistant coaches days, and he knows the culture of Nebraska.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them, personally.  All coaching hires are going to have risks.  Most of them are hired to be fired within 5-7 years.  Your hope is to hit a home run with the hire, and that can be luck and timing.

• Plus1 2

Dan Mullen has NOT won big. Y'all are literally looking at an almost identical record to Mike Riley at OSU through 8 years and looking at it so positively.

5-7

9-4 (finished ranked 15th)

7-6

8-5

7-6

10-3 (finished ranked 12th)

9-4

6-7

8-5

7-5

5-6

10-4 (finished ranked 21st)

9-4 (finished ranked 25th)

9-4 (finished ranked 18th)

8-5

• Plus1 4

I've heard a lot of folks talk about returning Nebraska football back to what it once was. A few schools have done that by hiring alumni to be their head coaches since they know what made that school successful when they were there, Harbaugh, Shaw, etc. To me it makes the most sense if Frost continues to be successful this season to figure out a way to get him here. Obviously the AD needs to go so we make that happen first and then reach out to him. I don't know much about the background, but I bet old Trev would be willing to come to UNL from UNO to help with this rebuild and rebirth.

Someone posted this story earlier, but I am all aboard the Mullen train.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/its-time-for-dan-mullen-to-strike-while-the-iron-is-hot-and-plan-his-exit/

You don't have to be told the man can coach quarterbacks. Mullen followed up the NFL phenomenon that is Dak Prescott with Nick Fitzgerald. We all remember Tim Tebow.  Alex Smith is in his 13th NFL season after learning the spread from Mullen and Urban Meyer at Utah. Even more impressive, Mullen helped get the immortal Josh Harris drafted -- as a quarterback -- from Bowling Green in 2004. He also once won nine games with the immortal Chris Relf.

49 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Dan Mullen has NOT won big. Y'all are literally looking at an almost identical record to Mike Riley at OSU through 8 years and looking at it so positively.

I don't know if anyone has said he's won big.  (And those aren't Riley's records from his first 8 years, those are his records from his 1st 8 years of his 2nd stint at OSU.  He was 3-8 and 5-6 his 1st 2 years.)

Mullen has the highest overall and conference winning percentage at Miss St since Darrell Royal left in 1955.  And he has done it when the SEC West has arguably been the toughest division in football over the past 8 years (though not as much the past couple years).  That should tell you he can coach.  Plus he is still just 45!