Who should we hire

56 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I've heard a lot of folks talk about returning Nebraska football back to what it once was. A few schools have done that by hiring alumni to be their head coaches since they know what made that school successful when they were there, Harbaugh, Shaw, etc. To me it makes the most sense if Frost continues to be successful this season to figure out a way to get him here. Obviously the AD needs to go so we make that happen first and then reach out to him. I don't know much about the background, but I bet old Trev would be willing to come to UNL from UNO to help with this rebuild and rebirth.

Harbaugh has done nothing more than any of the 3 prior coaches at Michigan

Shaw has maintained what Harbaugh started at Stanford

49 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I am not in Lincoln and just get a feel for what is going on over there through message boards and social media, but what is the general feel in Lincoln and the state of Nebraska regarding Eichorst and Riley? Do the message boards and social media portray the overall feel of the locals pretty well?

I would say the consensus on Riley is there is no consensus, but you can feel the general air around everything is uneasy. It's an uncomfortable feeling. I would assume (though, this just my opinion) that much of the fan base is fairly uncertain right now - many like Riley as a person, but it's clear (to this point) that things are not improving and actually regressing in some ways.

I don't have a good feel for Eichorst. My personal opinion is he spends too much time in the shadows and is a hypocrite. The former wouldn't bother me if things were going really well in the football program but they're not.

• Plus1 3

DJ Durkin should be on everybodys short list. And by short list i mean in the top 2 of any major historical program looking for a coach. He will end up at a big time program soon. Depending on whichever coach leaves first he will be at one of these if somone, like us, doesnt go get him; Michigan, Ohio St, Notre Dame, Florida, or Stanford.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Harbaugh has done nothing more than any of the 3 prior coaches at Michigan

Shaw has maintained what Harbaugh started at Stanford

So in one instance you are kinda bagging on Harbaugh and in another you are kinda praising him? The point is the only folks that truly know what made us great back in the day are the folks that were in our locker room. They understand what pieces were in place and a lot of people want us to return to what we once were. Power football, swagger, nasty defense, etc. Our roots are in guys like Trev Albers, Scott Frost, etc.

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

So in one instance you are kinda bagging on Harbaugh and in another you are kinda praising him? The point is the only folks that truly know what made us great back in the day are the folks that were in our locker room. They understand what pieces were in place and a lot of people want us to return to what we once were. Power football, swagger, nasty defense, etc. Our roots are in guys like Trev Albers, Scott Frost, etc.

Amen, brother!  Completely agree.  Here is I think the issue with Frost in some peoples mind.  He chose Stanford over coming to Nebraska first.  In some minds, coupled with losing at Arizona St in 96' he will never be considered a true Husker legend.  I see people still thinking at Turner Gill is a great coach.  While I do think he was shorted at KU, I also watched enough of that to tell you that it was heading south.  Even KU fired a coach as soon as they saw even worse results in 3 years.  Loyality.  Loyality is an issue with us looking at Frost.  It has to be.  He is doing fine at UCF.  He is doing what most are asking of him. I still see "lets wait and see what he does at UCF first" responses.  He is never going to win a conference title, or play in the playoffs or a major bowl game.  Florida ST, Miami, Florida, South Florida are all ahead of UCF in the pecking order in its own area and state.  Even to win 7 games a year, your doing pretty remarkable in my opinion.  If this school passes on Frost as its next hire, I will laugh so hard when he ends up at somewhere like Kansas ST or Notre Dame or __________ name your team and wins and wins a lot.  We then think we could swoop in and hire him, right?  I wouldn't take that approach.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Amen, brother!  Completely agree.  Here is I think the issue with Frost in some peoples mind.  He chose Stanford over coming to Nebraska first.  In some minds, coupled with losing at Arizona St in 96' he will never be considered a true Husker legend.  I see people still thinking at Turner Gill is a great coach.  While I do think he was shorted at KU, I also watched enough of that to tell you that it was heading south.  Even KU fired a coach as soon as they saw even worse results in 3 years.  Loyality.  Loyality is an issue with us looking at Frost.  It has to be.  He is doing fine at UCF.  He is doing what most are asking of him. I still see "lets wait and see what he does at UCF first" responses.  He is never going to win a conference title, or play in the playoffs or a major bowl game.  Florida ST, Miami, Florida, South Florida are all ahead of UCF in the pecking order in its own area and state.  Even to win 7 games a year, your doing pretty remarkable in my opinion.  If this school passes on Frost as its next hire, I will laugh so hard when he ends up at somewhere like Kansas ST or Notre Dame or __________ name your team and wins and wins a lot.  We then think we could swoop in and hire him, right?  I wouldn't take that approach.  

I don't get the butt hurt that NU fans had/still have over Frost when he chose Stanford out of high school. He was strong-armed Pro Style, athletic QB back then and Bill Walsh was the Stanford coach. Who better to learn a pro-style offense from?  Of course Walsh wasn't at Stanford long, Frost played safety and QB there, and eventually transferred back to Lincoln, and the rest is history.  

• Plus1 4

Like Saunders is saying, Dan Mullin of Miss St would be a great choice. I think Frosty would be great as well. 

I have doubts that either of them would want the job.

If that's true then you have this big debate about whoever gets the job with everybody bickering one way or the other, like we do now. Hell, there's already a debate about hiring a guy who's as well respected as Les Miles.

After all the fussing and bitching, it looks like either the coaches grow new brains or we're Kansas for a few years.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Dave Aranda

Chip Kelly

Les Miles

Steve Sarkisian

Dan Mullen

Scott Frost

Greg Schiano

Charlie Strong 

Justin Wilcox

Just to name a few off top of my head 

Considering most major schools have "their guy" the only person I would want on this list is the hottest coach in CFB and that's Dan Mullen. Les Miles would be an interesting hire he would be my 2nd choice however, at LSU his offense was typically inept. I like that he is a run oriented coach though.

I don't hate any of the choice that been named thus far.  They are all really decent choices.  My issue is this is Nebraska.  How many of these guys would stay once they did get us to the top of the heap?  Lets say we hire Coach A, who is a graduate of SEC power or SEC school.  This coach comes here and we are doing great and doing damage in the Big 10.  OK this SEC school offers the oil well to this Coach to come home, does that Coach stay or go?  Its like Roy Williams at KU.  Great Coach.  Every KU fan knew that when the time came, he was UNC bound no matter the tradition or History of KU, he was gone.  Born and raised in UNC country.  Those ties never go away.  If you  can look at those names on that list and say without doubt that they would all stay here for many years I say lets go get them.  I really only see maybe two names on the choice lists but they are Les MIles and Frost.