Who should we hire

6 hours ago, Big red surfers said:

The 8 wins went out the door with the lost to NIU. 7 wins will be a miracle. Wouldn't surprise me if 6 is number and 5 wouldn't be that much of surprise. 

Yeah, looks like I need to re-evaluate this. Riley has been worse than even I expected, then again..this is classic Riley stuff here. He loses to someone he shouldn't, holds it together for a period of time, and then usually beats someone he shouldn't. So I wouldn't be shocked if we still go 7-5 with a win over someone we have no business beating.

to me it doesn't matter what the guy does at this point. We just need to excise him and SE from the program.

One of the movies in the Lord of the rings trilogy has this character who is like a once legendary King. He ruled over this particular area of the world, and then became decrepit and feeble. At one point Gandalf goes to visit him because he wants his help, and in this particular scene, it shows the king he looks sickly and awful slumped over in his chair, no interest in Gandalf, barely responding, everything in total disarray. As it turns out, the King was possessed by the evil mage, Gandalf expelled the make from the king, and the King returned to prominence, helped Gandalf fight his war etc.

that whole element of the movie is so representative of the state of our program for the last however many years. I fell like Nebraska is that former king who is now decrepit...possessed by horrible leadership:individuals who have held it back. Our "Gandalf" will eventually come (probably SE's replacement), and excise the demons which currently possesses/hamper the program.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get the butt hurt that NU fans had/still have over Frost when he chose Stanford out of high school. He was strong-armed Pro Style, athletic QB back then and Bill Walsh was the Stanford coach. Who better to learn a pro-style offense from?  Of course Walsh wasn't at Stanford long, Frost played safety and QB there, and eventually transferred back to Lincoln, and the rest is history.  

Because fans/posters are crazy a lot of the times and can't get things out of their mind

6 minutes ago, speedtoburn said:

Yeah, looks like I need to re-evaluate this. Riley has been worse than even I expected, then again..this is classic Riley stuff here. He loses to someone he shouldn't, holds it together for a period of time, and then usually beats someone he shouldn't. So I wouldn't be shocked if we still go 7-5 with a win over someone we have no business beating.

to me it doesn't matter what the guy does at this point. We just need to excise him and SE from the program.

One of the movies in the Lord of the rings trilogy has this character who is like a once legendary King. He ruled over this particular area of the world, and then became decrepit and feeble. At one point Gandalf goes to visit him because he wants his help, and in this particular scene, it shows the king he looks sickly and awful slumped over in his chair, no interest in Gandalf, barely responding, everything in total disarray. As it turns out, the King was possessed by the evil mage, Gandalf expelled the make from the king, and the King returned to prominence, helped Gandalf fight his war etc.

that whole element of the movie is so representative of the state of our program for the last however many years. I fell like Nebraska is that former king who is now decrepit...possessed by horrible leadership:individuals who have held it back. Our "Gandalf" will eventually come (probably SE's replacement), and excise the demons which currently possesses/hamper the program.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif

(I also enjoy LOTR)

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

Chip Kelly is the best coach out there that does not have a job currently. End of story. He should be the standard that Nebraska goes after

This

They would not let go of Riley for an up and comer or hot prospect coach. That ship sailed when Riley was hired. They need to go for it and Kelly is the best and most proven coach on the market. 

He could likely make things really weird, yet entertaining, for a few years, but he's the guy. 

42 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't hate any of the choice that been named thus far.  They are all really decent choices.  My issue is this is Nebraska.  How many of these guys would stay once they did get us to the top of the heap?  Lets say we hire Coach A, who is a graduate of SEC power or SEC school.  This coach comes here and we are doing great and doing damage in the Big 10.  OK this SEC school offers the oil well to this Coach to come home, does that Coach stay or go?  Its like Roy Williams at KU.  Great Coach.  Every KU fan knew that when the time came, he was UNC bound no matter the tradition or History of KU, he was gone.  Born and raised in UNC country.  Those ties never go away.  If you  can look at those names on that list and say without doubt that they would all stay here for many years I say lets go get them.  I really only see maybe two names on the choice lists but they are Les MIles and Frost.

I'd be okay with a great coach kick starting the program then leaving. Better than now.

12 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

So in one instance you are kinda bagging on Harbaugh and in another you are kinda praising him? The point is the only folks that truly know what made us great back in the day are the folks that were in our locker room. They understand what pieces were in place and a lot of people want us to return to what we once were. Power football, swagger, nasty defense, etc. Our roots are in guys like Trev Albers, Scott Frost, etc.

That's not what I'm saying at all.  I'm saying that the 2 examples you showed don't hold water.

And maybe what worked in the 90's was because it was the 90's.  Thinking we can just load the athletic department full of former Nebraska players and everything will be right in the world without question is ignorant.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Thinking we can just load the athletic department full of former Nebraska players and everything will be right in the world without question is ignorant.

I agree with this sentiment. I haven't seen a ton of people calling to load the department with Nebraska ties, but it's certainly prevalent here and on social media. I believe it's misguided as a strategy.

There are plenty of ways to win at Nebraska. It's just a matter of getting the administration, coaches and talent all on the same page. It's easier said than done, admittedly. 

• Plus1 1