Who should we hire

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

The list should be in no particular order but all should get a call/interview:

1. Scott Frost

2. DJ Durkin

3. Jeff Brohm 

4. Dave Aranda

5. Chip Kelly

add Shaw and Mullen and you got a great wish list.   Shaw - probably an impossible option - but I really like his style of football,  Mullen I think is more of a probablity if he is ready to leave the SEC and set out to revitalize a historic program like NU.  And of course I like Frost - just wish he had another year or two of seasoning as HC. 

I'm not sold on Kelly being the right fit for NU however.   

Regarding Dave Aranda - Mullen's team just did a number on his LSU D.  Not sure I want to go the coordinator route again after Bo.  Don't want to be a HC incubator again.  I do think he is a very good DC and should be considered for HC at a lower tier school (some would say NU is now a lower tier school however:eek:)

Brohm - Is the up and comer.  He has some real upsides and he won 2 conf championships in his 2 years at Western Kentucky, he so far seems like the real deal at Purdue and has an excellent winning %   overall 32-11  .738

Durkin, hails from Youngstown (where have we heard that before  - Bo, Stoops Brothers).  He and Brohm are the young guns of the Big 10 and like Brohm, I think Durkin will revitalize the

Terp program (did they ever have a program before to be re-vitalized:dunno). 

16 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I need an explanation as to why Frost as a HC at a D1 program would entertain the idea of coming to Nebraska as a Head Coach in waiting.

ST Paul - as I noted in my post - I don't believe it is feasable, rational at all - I'm just saying I wish Frost had more 'seasoning as  a HC" 

Lincoln Riley had less credentials than Scott Frost currently does and he was given the Oklahoma job and seems to be doing just fine. Frost is a young guy who if shows success here will stay around for a long time. We need consistency in the program and he could be the guy. Decent risk for VERY HIGH reward. That sounds a lot better than some other names listed 

5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Lincoln Riley had less credentials than Scott Frost currently does and he was given the Oklahoma job and seems to be doing just fine. Frost is a young guy who if shows success here will stay around for a long time. We need consistency in the program and he could be the guy. Decent risk for VERY HIGH reward. That sounds a lot better than some other names listed 

Been plenty of coordinators that have taken over for a HC only to not do so well.

Suppose we should see where the chips fall after a couple years first before we tout Lincoln Riley's 3-0 start?

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Been plenty of coordinators that have taken over for a HC only to not do so well.

Suppose we should see where the chips fall after a couple years first before we tout Lincoln Riley's 3-0 start?

We lost at Ohio St by 59 points....That has to count for something. Again, there is a risk, but at least with Frost a high reward. Can't say that about the Riley hire 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

There's been plenty of examples where head coaches who were proven and did well in one place take a job elsewhere and fail. There's no guarantee either way you look at it. There might be no difference either.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

You weren't the first person to bring it up though.  I'm just trying to understand the train of thought

oK  I didn't see the other person's post on it before I posted mine.  Just happenstance.   Just want to reinforce my view that I wish Frost had more time as HC under his belt before he come here.  Also, he is at a mid-major.  Durkin &  Brohm  are in the process of proving themselves at a P5 school. Mullen has already proven himself at a P5 school.  Does one need to be a proven HC at P5 before they come here - no. And due to a growing parody - on any given day a mid-major can beat a P5 school just like we experienced Saturday.    However, if Frost did become our next coach, I think he will do well even wt his limited HC experience.  He's proven to be a good coach in his previous roles.