Who should we hire

15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Has Scott Frost ever explicitly stated he wants the job? Do we have any gauge for what his interest level may be?

I can't confirm with any certainty, maybe someone else can, but I recall Bo reaching out to him for an OC position and Frost wanted a Head Coach in waiting title as well. Again. No way to confirm that, however I recall hearing it from multiple people several years ago. 

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Has Scott Frost ever explicitly stated he wants the job? Do we have any gauge for what his interest level may be?

I doubt you can ever get an honest answer publicly since he is coaching elsewhere. He did note that Orlando is a fun place to live and easy to recruit at. 

"A lot of coaches are in a hurry to take the next step," Frost said. "I think you get yourself in trouble when you take a step before you're ready or before the time is right. I'm committed to making this place a really good football program that can win and win consistently in our league. I'm not planning on looking for a job until we get to that point."

Frost has said he was never contacted about the job at his alma mater when that opened after the 2014 season. But the 41-year-old from Wood River is now considered one of the up-and-coming stars among college coaches.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Lincoln Riley had less credentials than Scott Frost currently does and he was given the Oklahoma job and seems to be doing just fine. Frost is a young guy who if shows success here will stay around for a long time. We need consistency in the program and he could be the guy. Decent risk for VERY HIGH reward. That sounds a lot better than some other names listed 

The situation at OU is a completely different animal.  Lincoln Riley was OC last year.  This year, he still calls the plays.  The DC is the same from last year to this year.  Nothing down there has changed other than Bob not being at practice.  While Lincoln Riley has less credentials, OU didn't have to worry about him hiring his own staff.  It was already provided to him. 

I'm all for hiring Frost, but I don't think using Lincoln Riley and OU is a very good example.  Frost would be walking into almost the exact opposite situation as to what Lincoln Riley did. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Fru said:

I can't confirm with any certainty, maybe someone else can, but I recall Bo reaching out to him for an OC position and Frost wanted a Head Coach in waiting title as well. Again. No way to confirm that, however I recall hearing it from multiple people several years ago. 

This really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  There's only a seven year difference in their age.  I can't think a highly motivated coach would want to be in waiting for upwards of two decades before getting their shot. 

35 minutes ago, Fru said:

I don't think that was quite how it went.  As I recall the story goes Bo did reach out to him but as a WR (or some other assistant) coach but Frost wanted to be OC.  That wasn't the position that was offered so it didn't work.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

The situation at OU is a completely different animal.  Lincoln Riley was OC last year.  This year, he still calls the plays.  The DC is the same from last year to this year.  Nothing down there has changed other than Bob not being at practice.  While Lincoln Riley has less credentials, OU didn't have to worry about him hiring his own staff.  It was already provided to him. 

I'm all for hiring Frost, but I don't think using Lincoln Riley and OU is a very good example.  Frost would be walking into almost the exact opposite situation as to what Lincoln Riley did. 

It is different, but you are acting like a Head Coach doesn't have much significance to the team. Like saying since Urban Meyer doesn't call plays not much changes except he isn't at practice. Whole mentality of the team changes if Kevin Wilson takes over

48 minutes ago, Fru said:

43 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I doubt you can ever get an honest answer publicly since he is coaching elsewhere. He did note that Orlando is a fun place to live and easy to recruit at. 

"A lot of coaches are in a hurry to take the next step," Frost said. "I think you get yourself in trouble when you take a step before you're ready or before the time is right. I'm committed to making this place a really good football program that can win and win consistently in our league. I'm not planning on looking for a job until we get to that point."

Frost has said he was never contacted about the job at his alma mater when that opened after the 2014 season. But the 41-year-old from Wood River is now considered one of the up-and-coming stars among college coaches.

I guess that leads me to some food for thought (and this is just me thinking out loud) - is this a job he would want?

I'm not really talking about things like location, recruiting ability, funding, booster support, any of that stuff, even though I'm sure he would take it into account were he ever offered one day. I just wonder if this is the environment he wants to be in. He had a (somewhat) tumultuous start to his career here because of the Stanford stuff. He's remembered more fondly now because he helped win a championship and, from my perspective, he now has a mostly positive legacy.

Is that something he would want to put on the line or risk? Because there's no question in mind that, were he to fail, it would put some measure of dirt on the legacy. Is this a place he feels his system and recruiting style could blossom?

I just think there's a lot of talk about 'is he good for NU,' but I truly do wonder if NU is good for him.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Enhance said:

I agree with this sentiment. I haven't seen a ton of people calling to load the department with Nebraska ties, but it's certainly prevalent here and on social media. I believe it's misguided as a strategy.

There are plenty of ways to win at Nebraska. It's just a matter of getting the administration, coaches and talent all on the same page. It's easier said than done, admittedly. 

I don't know about loading up on Nebraska guys but I wouldn't mind seeing what would happen if we hired Tommie Frazier as running backs coach and sent him to Florida to recruit. All I've heard so far is that he was a lousy head coach at perennially lousy schools. I don't care ; I think this would be different to go down there and say "Hi, I'm Tommie and I won two National Championships running around for this team." Of course this would have to be on a staff that actually plans to run.

What on God's green earth has DJ Durkin done to make people think he's gonna be some hot commodity?  I'm sorry but he has not done s#!t.  He beat an over ranked Texas, oh boy, great job.  News flash, Maryland was 6-7 last year.  They basically got blown out by every team with a pulse and even lost to BC in their bowl game, who beats basically no one.

Here's how he did last season:

Howard - W 52-13

FIU - W 41-14

UCF - W 30-24

Purdue - W 50-7

Penn State - L 38-14

Minnesota - L 31-10

Michigan State - W 28-17

Indiana - L 42-36

Michigan - L 59-3

Ohio State - L 62-3

Nebraska - L 28-7

Rutgers - W 31-13

Boston College - L 36-30

But please, tell me more about what an awesome job he's done...

• Plus1 2