Who should we hire

4 hours ago, unlfan said:

Purdue is paying over $3M.

This program better sack up and actually pay somebody once Riley gets his pink slip. Pathetic to be outspent by Purdue.

Please, just stop with the trolling/purposefully obtuse/ignorant hot takes. The reason we are being outspent by Purdue is because we took a gamble on a coach who A) isn't a humongously hot commodity, B) doesn't really care all that much about 3.5 million compared to 2.5 million, and C) knew the writing on the wall of not being here long even if he did extremely well. Riley at Nebraska is an anomaly of a situation. Please don't try to compare it to a school trying to pay top dollar for a 'splash hire' up and comer who was shopping around the market.

We pay Bob Diaco more than any school in the B1G pays any assistant coaches other than Michigan, and we have the highest recruiting budget of any school in our conference (all that before ever having an equal share of TV revenue). That should be all you need to know that we're willing to spend competitive amounts of money when necessary. 

• Plus1 5
4 hours ago, unlfan said:

Purdue is paying over $3M.

This program better sack up and actually pay somebody once Riley gets his pink slip. Pathetic to be outspent by Purdue.

Have you been to Purdue?

1) Lafayette sucks

2) Stadium sucks

3) Facilities suck

4) Football team has sucked for pretty much it's entire existence 

You would have to pay 3m to get someone decent there 

2 hours ago, unlfan said:

Not a hot take, bud. Simple facts. Purdue is paying their head coach more annually than we are. Try to rationalize it all you want, bud, but that should never happen under any circumstances.

It's not a rationalization. It's a simple truth. Purdue hired a coach in higher demand with a higher ceiling in terms of presumption and perception. If you want to argue that Nebraska should spend more money for a better coach, that's one thing, but framing the argument like you are is fairly erroneous.

Using this narrative, every other NFL team in the league is pathetic because the Lions are outspending them for a quarterback.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, unlfan said:

Not a hot take, bud. Simple facts. Purdue is paying their head coach more annually than we are. Try to rationalize it all you want, bud, but that should never happen under any circumstances.

Why?  When TO was coach, there was a lot of programs paying their HC more than TO was making.  All I've read on here the past week is how we need to be more like Wisconsin.  Go look at what they pay their coach.  See what they paid the one before him and the one before him.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-scott-frost-nebraska-mike-bianchi-0921-story.html

Interesting read.  The question is asked: Why would Frost want the NU job?

Quoted in part:

I’m going to say something now that probably sounds ridiculous on the surface, but deep down it’s really not: Other than Nebraska being his alma mater, why would Frost even want the job?

Nebraska is simply not the program it once was when Osborne and Osborne’s legendary predecessor — Bob Devaney — were stalking the sidelines and steamrolling the competition with their I-formation and triple-option offenses. If the Nebraska job were such a great job then why are the last three coaches hired named Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini and Mike Riley? This sounds like a pool of candidates for NC State, not Nebraska.

The problem is college football has changed and so have college football recruits. Unlike Ohio State, Nebraska isn’t in the middle of a fertile recruiting area and the Huskers no longer have the national cache to lure five-star recruits from across the country. In the minds of many top prospects, Nebraska is simply a bitterly cold place in the middle of nowhere.

Remember when the Oregon job opened up last year and the natural assumption was that Frost — the Ducks’ former offensive coordinator — would become a candidate? He quickly pulled himself out of contention because, as he said, “UCF is where I want to be. When you recruit kids to come play for you and you agree to do something for a program; when you give your word to people, I think it's your responsibility to see those things through. I started something here and I want to see it through.”

Even more telling, though, was Frost saying it was actually easier recruiting to UCF than it was when he was an assistant at Oregon. Frost admitted it was a tough sell to convince recruits to travel hundreds, even thousands of miles, to play football in the Pacific Northwest.

• Plus1 3

46 minutes ago, unlfan said:

That is exactly what I am arguing. I said verbatim "This program better sack up and actually pay somebody once Riley gets his pink slip. Pathetic to be outspent by Purdue."

The program should be willing to spend the necessary money to bring in a coach better than Riley. Long time cellar dwellers with a tiny fraction of the operating budget are outspending us. That's pathetic.

NFL is not an accurate analogy at all. Salary cap = all teams on same playing field. Not the case in college. Nebraska should be able to dwarf the salary offered to a head coach than Purdue.

They have a better coach, at least in terms of his purported ceiling and perception right now. Tom Osborne wasn't even the highest paid college coach in the midst of his reign of dominance.

I agree with the point you're getting at but I disagree with the framework. You can't on one hand ignore the variables surrounding both coaches and then draw salary comparisons in the other. It's unfair. There are plenty of schools who outspend Nebraska without football programs as profitable as ours.

• Plus1 1