Who should we hire

Just now, Landlord said:

Yeah dude. I know that.

The whole point of my argument is that Dan Mullen is very similar to where Mike Riley was 8 years into coaching. You can't use the same argument against Mike Riley and in defense of Dan Mullen. It's gotta be one or the other.

That's because you aren't taking the strength of each conference into account. Mullen's record has been cultivated against much, much better competition than Riley's was. 

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Yeah dude. I know that.

The whole point of my argument is that Dan Mullen is very similar to where Mike Riley was 8 years into coaching. You can't use the same argument against Mike Riley and in defense of Dan Mullen. It's gotta be one or the other.

But, it isn't the same.  One is young and a hot name...one is old and on the hot seat.  It is not like NU hired Riley at the top of his career, they hired him at the bottom (or so we thought, turns out it actually could get lower)

• Plus1 1
Just now, Landlord said:

Yeah dude. I know that.

Ehhh...  Riley was 8 years into head coaching at OSU.  Riley had 7 years of head coaching in the CFL/WLAF before.  And 3 years as the Chargers head coach after 2 years at OSU.

Mullen had never been a college/professional head coach.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

If not Frost or possibly Les Miles- with stud coordinators/assistant coaches. If not those two than Justin Fuentes. He was my number two choice in 2014, but at the time had only had one winning season at Memphis. Makes 3.2 million and has a six million dollar buyout, but that drops to 3 million in 2018, doubt we wait that long to hire him. It would take 11 million to get him, 6 mil for buyout and 5 million dollar contract here. Dude will not let us down, took an ELITE Clemson team to the wire and is on the rise. The Big west is an easier division than the ACC and he can easily turn it around in 2018.If he gets 9-3 or higher with that schedule that would be impressive.

Image result for justin fuente salary

Watched him grow up and play HS QB at Union HS in Tulsa and have followed his college career and coaching career. He has a great future and would be a very good hire in my opinion if we can afford the buyout.    But, I see no reason for him to want to jump from VT where he is starting to build something to NU. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

But, it isn't the same.  One is young and a hot name...one is old and on the hot seat.  It is not like NU hired Riley at the top of his career, they hired him at the bottom (or so we thought, turns out it actually could get lower)

So, you want Mullen to be our next coach?  In year eight, Mullen posted a 6-7 record.  I'm really not sure what age has to do with it.  Mullen recruits top 25 recruiting classes only to rarely ever finish a season in the top 25.  I don't care if he's 40 or if he's 70 because I don't want him as our next coach.  We want to be competitive right?  Here's the scoring for the eight times he's faced Bama'  Miss. State 63  Bama' 250.  Miss. State has averaged less than eight points per game against Bama' while Bama' has averaged over 30.  I don't want that guy.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

That's because you aren't taking the strength of each conference into account. Mullen's record has been cultivated against much, much better competition than Riley's was. 

Oh, now we're adding context and nuance to these discussions? :lol:

Not saying this specifically to you, but all we hear now about Riley is "what did you expect from a career .500 coach?" He has more data points than Mullen does, I get that, but when we want a new guy all the sudden we get to pay attention to the circumstances and contextualize it instead of just blanketing everything with "nope, .500 coach, no thanks".

I'm not that impressed with Dan Mullen. He might do great here. He might do no better than he's done at MSU. But we really want to go down this route again?

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Watched him grow up and play HS QB at Union HS in Tulsa and have followed his college career and coaching career. He has a great future and would be a very good hire in my opinion if we can afford the buyout.    But, I see no reason for him to want to jump from VT where he is starting to build something to NU. 

Agree that I don't see him leaving.  He has a good thing at VT as much as I hate to admit it.  Good recruiting location, resurgeance in the program and a conference that is on the upswing.  It could get him a raise, but he isn't leaving Blacksburg for Lincoln at this time.

12 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Oh, now we're adding context and nuance to these discussions? :lol:

Not saying this specifically to you, but all we hear now about Riley is "what did you expect from a career .500 coach?" He has more data points than Mullen does, I get that, but when we want a new guy all the sudden we get to pay attention to the circumstances and contextualize it instead of just blanketing everything with "nope, .500 coach, no thanks".

I'm not that impressed with Dan Mullen. He might do great here. He might do no better than he's done at MSU. But we really want to go down this route again?

That part I can certainly understand, but I was one of the foolish ones that thought Riley could succeed here with the resources he never had at OSU, so what the heck do I know?

14 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

So, you want Mullen to be our next coach?  In year eight, Mullen posted a 6-7 record.  I'm really not sure what age has to do with it.  Mullen recruits top 25 recruiting classes only to rarely ever finish a season in the top 25.  I don't care if he's 40 or if he's 70 because I don't want him as our next coach.  We want to be competitive right?  Here's the scoring for the eight times he's faced Bama'  Miss. State 63  Bama' 250.  Miss. State has averaged less than eight points per game against Bama' while Bama' has averaged over 30.  I don't want that guy.

No, not really.  I am just saying it isn't the same.  

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

That part I can certainly understand, but I was one of the foolish ones that thought Riley could succeed here with the resources he never had at OSU, so what the heck do I know, I guess. 

A lot of us did.  This is why some of us are very skeptical of a hire like Mullen.  All any of us want is to get back to some sort of relevance.  So many different angles have been tried that we're beginning to run out of options.  I read an article today where unnamed ADs across the country had been interviewed about Nebraska.  The general consensus was that we would never be able to hang with the Ohio States and Bamas, but our place is a better version of a KState or Va Tech.  Not only do I agree with that, but I can also live with that.  KState isn't always in the hunt year in and year out, but they do make their runs and do occasionally win the conference.   

• Plus1 1

For those that don't like Dan Mullen, who would you prefer? I know some would say Chip Kelly but the likelihood of him coming to Nebraska is slim when he could go to a LSU or Texas A&M with much easier recruiting (which he hates). 

Bob Stoops not coming out of retirement either and if he did, it is probably Norte Dame.  

We aren't going to find many coaches better than Mullen. We are likely looking at Scott Frost, Les Miles, Troy Calhoun, Craig Bohl or some other young unproven coach like Frost. Heck even coordinators like Moorhead, Aranda or Drevino wouldn't surprise me. 

36 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

A lot of us did.  This is why some of us are very skeptical of a hire like Mullen.  All any of us want is to get back to some sort of relevance.  So many different angles have been tried that we're beginning to run out of options.  I read an article today where unnamed ADs across the country had been interviewed about Nebraska.  The general consensus was that we would never be able to hang with the Ohio States and Bamas, but our place is a better version of a KState or Va Tech.  Not only do I agree with that, but I can also live with that.  KState isn't always in the hunt year in and year out, but they do make their runs and do occasionally win the conference.   

We are on the verge of that or more with Riley.  Looking at his best season's, they have almost all had one key ingredient, a veteran QB.  MR's first year QB's turn the ball over before things start to click.  Once they do click the entire offensive performance makes a night day transformation in a good way.

Honest question.  If this was Lee's second season as a starter aren't we 3-0 right now?  He has more INT's than TD's, that will change and I hope starting this weekend.  When it does, we win.   

3 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

For those that don't like Dan Mullen, who would you prefer? I know some would say Chip Kelly but the likelihood of him coming to Nebraska is slim when he could go to a LSU or Texas A&M with much easier recruiting (which he hates). 

Bob Stoops not coming out of retirement either and if he did, it is probably Norte Dame.  

We aren't going to find many coaches better than Mullen. We are likely looking at Scott Frost, Les Miles, Troy Calhoun, Craig Bohl or some other young unproven coach like Frost. Heck even coordinators like Moorhead, Aranda or Drevino wouldn't surprise me. 

If the bolded is true, then we have to go with Frost.  Let's be honest here, Mullen is pretty much on par with Riley.  Riley isn't getting fired because of his age.  Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is the definition of?  Mullen already makes over 4 million.  It probably takes around 6 to get him here.  I doubt we go the coordinator route because we've been there done that with Bo.  I really believe the best option is Frost. 

I would be cool with Frost but I know there are some that don't like the idea because he is "to unproven" and "he is only a option because he is a Husker". Sometimes being a Husker is important and at this moment the idea of having someone that knows what a great Nebraska squad looks like is a major plus.  You would have to think Frost would raise the accountability factor greatly.

• Plus1 2