Who should we hire

We can tear apart almost every realistic candidate's W/L record and there will be flaws. When you start out at a tough place to win you aren't going to have a stellar record. Frost won't either at UCF if we hire him. 

Mullen's done a heck of a job at MSU in the toughest division in CFB. It's probably the 2nd toughest job in the conference behind Vandy. And he still has plenty in the tank unlike Riley whose best days were behind him. He's also learned under Urban Meyer how to run a program. We could do a lot worse.

If Frost has a good/solid year I still think it's going to be him.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

We are on the verge of that or more with Riley.  Looking at his best season's, they have almost all had one key ingredient, a veteran QB.  MR's first year QB's turn the ball over before things start to click.  Once they do click the entire offensive performance makes a night day transformation in a good way.

Honest question.  If this was Lee's second season as a starter aren't we 3-0 right now?  He has more INT's than TD's, that will change and I hope starting this weekend.  When it does, we win.   

I don't disagree with any of this.  However, we must look at the realities.  Riley is done here.  It matters very little what transpires the next few months.  IMO, this is the reason Eichorst brought Riley in as coach because he recognized that our place in college football isn't trying to keep up with Bama', Ohio State, etc.  Obviously, there have been a few miscalculations along the way.  Banker wasn't up to task with the defense.  POB wasn't ready to become the guy at QB.  Things got out of control in a hurry.

As far as Lee's second season, it's hard to say.  He was a turnover machine at Tulane.  We were warned by Tulane fans that he was Mr. Practice.  He looks great in practice, but things go south in a hurry come game day.  If Lee wasn't so loosey goosey with the football, we're probably 2-1.  I don't think we win the Oregon game with as bad as the defense played in the first half.  I'm hoping we win the rest of our games.  Given the right performance, we should be in a lot of games.  Ohio State isn't the World beater we've come to know.  They look very beatable. 

On 9/10/2017 at 2:22 AM, hskrfan4life said:

Bo peaked in 2009. We got embarrassed by Wisconsin multiple times (including 6-7 team). Anytime a coaching staff celebrates they got to 9 wins is crap. We literally can go 11-1. We have no idea how this season pans out.

Well, are going to go 10-2 now?

6 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

By occasionally you mean twice?

How many times in the next decade do you expect us to with the B1G?  How many times in the past decade did we win the conference.   No matter who we hire for a coach, I just don't see us getting to a place where we beat Wisconsin year in and year out.  Unless some major things happen at other programs, I just don't see us in the B1G Championship year in and year out. 

When I think of Scott Frost and Nebraska, I always think back to this article from Smart Football from Frost.  Would love to see the mixture of both offenses. For those that follow Frost closer at Central Florida, has he married some of the offenses together yet? 

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.JSlgWqCg.dpbs

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Yes it is!  I just am in the habit of calling him fuentes and did not even notice it. Yes it is Fuente and yes I would want him here.

@StPaulHusker I think that they may not want to match cause Bud Foster could come in and take over the program. We can definitely outspend them for Fuente, but they may keep betting on him just so we have to pay him in the 7 million range.

And to think we could have hired him over Riley in the first damn place! It's maddening 

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

How many times in the next decade do you expect us to with the B1G?  How many times in the past decade did we win the conference.   No matter who we hire for a coach, I just don't see us getting to a place where we beat Wisconsin year in and year out.  Unless some major things happen at other programs, I just don't see us in the B1G Championship year in and year out. 

IMG_5366.JPG.80dd09c8c0a9858435a0e2e78dab1781.JPG

• Plus1 1

There are maybe a half-dozen no-brainer choices to be HC. They would be expensive, and a huge offer hardly guarantees they'd give up what they've got to come to Nebraska. The guy we get isn't gonna check off all the boxes. There's always gonna be a calculated risk, and I'll trade some so-called experience for a bit of daring. 

As Jim Rome said on the radio today: Nebraska is special and Nebraska deserves better, but whoever comes here needs to understand Nebraska. 

He was talking about Eichorst but it goes to the coach, too. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Cornhole said:

Any preference for an offensive-minded guy vs a defensive-minded guy?  Or is that irrelevant at this point?

I WANT A GUY WHO LIKES TO DRINK BEER AND DEBUNK GHOSTS.

WHOOPS!  THAT WAS FROM @1995 Redux'S DATING PROFILE!

SERIOUSLY: I DON'T THINK IT MATTERS A TON IF THE HC IS A DEFENSE OR OFFENSE GUY AS LONG AS HE SURROUNDS HIMSELF WITH A GOOD COORDINATORS WHO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

A lot of us did.  This is why some of us are very skeptical of a hire like Mullen.  All any of us want is to get back to some sort of relevance.  So many different angles have been tried that we're beginning to run out of options.  I read an article today where unnamed ADs across the country had been interviewed about Nebraska.  The general consensus was that we would never be able to hang with the Ohio States and Bamas, but our place is a better version of a KState or Va Tech.  Not only do I agree with that, but I can also live with that.  KState isn't always in the hunt year in and year out, but they do make their runs and do occasionally win the conference.   

Dont EVER hire those ADs then. Lets be honest, youre not competing with Ohio St and Alabama, youre competing with Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. Probably the two best college coaches in the country. What happens when they retire or get health problems again? We still wont be able to compete with them? Even if they hire a s#!tty coach? Good lord, its all about to coach here. Texas gets the same talent at OSU and Bama year in and year out but they suck year in and year out. Because they have crap coaching. Now they might have found their guy watching their game this last weekend and it might be Texas as the top progrum again. Its all cyclical. Get in a good coach and see the results. Screw those dumbass ADs. 

And if those ADs are not Bamas AD and OSU AD then they should be fired from their current school also because if they think that way about Nebraska, they probably think that way about their own school also. Laying down for OSU and Bama and accepting their place. 

• Plus1 1