Who should we hire

13 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

We are on the verge of that or more with Riley.  Looking at his best season's, they have almost all had one key ingredient, a veteran QB.  MR's first year QB's turn the ball over before things start to click.  Once they do click the entire offensive performance makes a night day transformation in a good way.

Honest question.  If this was Lee's second season as a starter aren't we 3-0 right now?  He has more INT's than TD's, that will change and I hope starting this weekend.  When it does, we win.   

Honestly if we are going to have a losing season every year we start a new quarterback then no, let's end this all now.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, FTW said:

Personally, out of all the names mentioned there is only one I would run through a brick wall for and that is Scott Frost.

Totally.  Chip Kelly strikes me as a fly by night coach.  Someone who would be here for a few years and wouldn't care in the least if and when he left.  I read an article on Bob Stoops and how he was living his life after retirement.  Sounded like he was simply tired of being a division 1 football coach and was thoroughly enjoying his life out of the spotlight. 

None of these coaches that people are mentioning besides Frost make a lot of sense or garner any excitement from me.  If it's not Frost which I am still not sure if it will ever be then my fear is that Nebraska is simply headed back down the same road we've been down as far as the last several coaches.

I'm trying to remain positive.  If anything as someone else mentioned before I'll sure as heck keep on following Frost down at UCF regardless.  He's definitely the type of guy I would want leading my favorite program that's for sure.

I know the two sexy names are Bob Stoops and Chip Kelly but the likelihood of them coming is slim to none.  

Everytime someone says we need to find our Bob Stoops, well think look at top notch assistant coaches.  Guys like Drevino at Michigan, Moorhead at Penn State, Venables at Clemson, Aranda at LSU, Rudolph at Wisconsin, etc.  Those are some of the top assistants currently.  Drevino would give you Harbaugh lite, Moorhead would give you a dynamic spread guy that has had success on his own as a head coach before (Fordham), Venables may be a K-Stater but he has had a lot of success for a long period of time, Aranda was lights out at Wisconsin and LSU (even though last week was rough) and lastly Rudolph may not be the primary play caller but he has been around Wisconsin football/lineman for a long long time and is Chryst's right hand man.

4 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Stoops was/is a great coach. I think it's fair to want Stoops or Chip Kelly. I also think it's fair to point out that it is highly unlikely that either is going to coach at Nebraska.

Either way, I think those two guys should be the first two calls when Nebraska is looking for a new head coach. Just have more than those two guys on the list of potential hires.

Isn't/wasn't Stoops pals with Pelini (Youngstown connection) wonder if he doesn't like the way he got axed here.

11 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

Curious why no one has mentioned PJ Fleck? Just think there’s no chance he moves in division? Others have mentioned Jeff Brohm so that can’t be it.. Talk about a guy who can create culture and an identity.

He's 3 games into his first year at Minnesota.  There's no way that is happening but personally I would have loved this hire.

7 hours ago, Mary Pats BOB said:

Kyle Whittingham-Utah

Discuss.

Really like him as a coach, has worked under Urban Meyer, teams are consistently competitive.  Downside is he's a member of the LDS Church and Utah is as close to a perfect fit for him as possible.  That being said, if you're a competent AD you make him tell you no versus assuming he'll say no.

1 hour ago, BartonHusker said:

I know the two sexy names are Bob Stoops and Chip Kelly but the likelihood of them coming is slim to none.  

Everytime someone says we need to find our Bob Stoops, well think look at top notch assistant coaches.  Guys like Drevino at Michigan, Moorhead at Penn State, Venables at Clemson, Aranda at LSU, Rudolph at Wisconsin, etc.  Those are some of the top assistants currently.  Drevino would give you Harbaugh lite, Moorhead would give you a dynamic spread guy that has had success on his own as a head coach before (Fordham), Venables may be a K-Stater but he has had a lot of success for a long period of time, Aranda was lights out at Wisconsin and LSU (even though last week was rough) and lastly Rudolph may not be the primary play caller but he has been around Wisconsin football/lineman for a long long time and is Chryst's right hand man.

I agree with you that Stoops seems highly unlikely.  Now, I do think Kelly is possible if you throw enough money at him.  He's as close to a known quantity as it gets.  Is he aloof?  You bet.  Is it possible he leaves in a few years to go become a 6 man high school football coach in Alaska?  Absolutely.  In the interim, he's going to win, and he's going to win a lot.  And when Chip Kelly is here winning big, everyone's favorite native son is down @ UCF (or another destination) still working on bolstering his resume.   People have clamored that Nebraska needs to hire Frost now otherwise NU will lose the chance to hire him.  That's absurd.  If Nebraska shows they're willing to back up the truck for someone like Chip Kelly, you're trying to tell me they won't back up the truck for Scott Frost?

5 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Totally.  Chip Kelly strikes me as a fly by night coach.  Someone who would be here for a few years and wouldn't care in the least if and when he left.  I read an article on Bob Stoops and how he was living his life after retirement.  Sounded like he was simply tired of being a division 1 football coach and was thoroughly enjoying his life out of the spotlight. 

None of these coaches that people are mentioning besides Frost make a lot of sense or garner any excitement from me.  If it's not Frost which I am still not sure if it will ever be then my fear is that Nebraska is simply headed back down the same road we've been down as far as the last several coaches.

I'm trying to remain positive.  If anything as someone else mentioned before I'll sure as heck keep on following Frost down at UCF regardless.  He's definitely the type of guy I would want leading my favorite program that's for sure.

I think bob stoops would be a good AD that could help mentor a younger coach. 

2 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Pj fleck is a hard pass. I'm really sold on Jeff Brohm or Frost. Fleck's personality rubs me the wrong way - not sure it's appealing to 4 and 5 star recruits. 

Really hope you're not under consideration for the AD job. Fleck consistently had the top recruiting class in the MAC. Not sure what you find so unappealing about his personality