Fire Cavanaugh

52 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The O Line is the base of the pyramid.  You want to know why Wisconsin gets great running backs? Because they have a reputation for building amazing O Lines. The best Husker teams had great O Lines. 

Case in point:

When your running backs have to dodge defenders behind the line of scrimmage on 2/3 of their carries, you're going to suffer. 

But here's the weird thing.  We've had this problem for years and years.  Before Riley.  Before Pelini.  Rex Burkhead was slicker than a greased pig - and he had to be, because anyone who watched those games watched him make the first man miss as soon as he got the handoff time and time again.  Abdullah did the same thing.  So did Pork Chop.

In presidential politics there's a saying about what's the most important thing in getting reelected:  "It's the economy, stupid."

In football, "It's the Line, stupid." 

Bring me a coach who will commit to building a great offensive line and I'll show you a coach who'll last here a long time.  Doesn't matter if he's running the Option, Pro Style, Wishbone or Fun & Gun. 

There's a guy like that in Arkansas right now who imo would be perfect here.

I suggested hiring Big Bert before he left for Arkansas.  I was ridiculed even though his offensive style would dovetail nicely with what a lot of folks are clamoring for.  His teams play with edge and he has a dickish quality to him that I think you need to succeed at the highest level.  Plus, his wife is a total smokeshow.  To stay remotely on topic, if/when Cav is let go, Nebraska needs to kick the tires on San Diego State's OL coach.  SDSU has been cranking out rushing yards like nobody's business since this dude took over.  They played a slobberknocker against Stanford (and won) on Saturday that was a ton of fun to watch.  

http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mike_schmidt_185321.html

For morale...

Image result for jen bielema

• 3 years later...

On 1/28/2021 at 8:29 PM, Mavric said:

Somewhat.  But that's because he left us crap to work with (other than Jaimes) so it takes awhile to get it back to where it should be.

"Awhile" is understatement.  O'line recruiting has gotten worse last few years.  Not same, not better, worse and downright abysmal this year.  At this rate 2033 could be promising.  

• Haha 1