Comfortably Numb

What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

Knevel isn't the best at his position, Farniok should be the starter from now on.

Stoltenberg is a beast in my opinion.

Lee isn't as good as the media makes him out to be(as seen today)

Edit:

Oregon was handing us the game yet we didn't want to win.  D gets the turnover and we piss down our leg.  Another turnover and if it weren't for the Oregon D making stupid penalties, we possibly wouldn't have had that last 7 points.

That's what I saw.

MLB 51    920

We still refuse to make in game adjustments.

Tanner Lee makes too many bad throws.

Defense waited too long to show up.

Branno    964

We are going to win 5 games max with our fan base sticking their head in the sand saying "everything is fine" due to some feel good bs

lo country    2,220

I learned that this team has heart and doesn't quit.

Diaco is not the answer.  His style of system and inability to make in game adjustments will cost us many more games this year.

Tre was/will be missed.

Kalu is a CB, not a safety.

Jackson is a BIG CB.  he needs to press.  Every play.  Every down.

Riley is and will be a 500 coach.

Langs "has" his guy and still makes bone headed calls.

We do not (at least tonight) have a QB who can run a pro style offense.

DPE on out returns is a waste of talent.  A total waste.  Books needs to look back to 2014 and see what DPE can do.

We play with the personality of the HC.  Passive, no urgency and no excitement.

Matt is better than Knevel IMHO.

We have the talent IMO.  Guys when allowed, looked good.  this is and was on the coaches.

Just now, Branno said:

We are going to win 5 games max with our fan base sticking their head in the sand saying "everything is fine" due to some feel good bs

Not sure how over hyped fans have anything to do with on the field play

LumberJackSker    398
  • lee isnt as good as some pretended he was
  • farniok is 100 times better than knevel ever was or will be
  • halftime adjustments are possible 
  • Reed might be a better saftey than kalu

The Maudfather    1,011

Second half defensive adjustments were fantastic. 

Tanner Lee is bad. He has moments that make your eyes pop when he threads a needle, but he has even more moments that make your eyes bleed with awful decisions. Obviously, the back up QB is always the most popular guy in town, but Lee just doesn't have it. He looks like a QB that should still be at Tulane. 

Caliborn72    89

We showed heart, the game could have been closer at half and that's when I expected the game to get much worse. We didn't let it.

Oregon is a solid team. Not great by any means and they shot themselves in the foot a little here and there too.

Lee wasn't very good and while Oregon's corners were decent, they certainly weren't the best we will play against so that has me nervous.

Playcalling and clock management still too weird to be a coincidence. I still have high hopes for 8 wins but I would be surprised if we get more than that. And I wouldn't be all that surprised if we get less.

Micheal    121

I learned that Diaco is not right for Nebraska and that the players won't give up even if they're put in the tough positions by the coaches' decisions. 

The Dude    6,606

Perhaps it's not Tulane's fault Tanner Lee is a career 50% passer who throws as many interceptions as touchdowns.

Defense played significantly better when we abandoned "bend but don't break" and started pressing receivers and sending pressure a bit.

Either convince Diaco to abandon it for the rest of the year or send him packing.

ladyhawke    468

I saw a team that didn't give up. 

I saw a defense that didn't allow Oregon to score at all in the second half  

I saw a gift given to us with 2 min. left in the game and we blew it. 

I saw some of our most gifted players get hurt (Kalu and Bryant)

Most 'experts' had us losing this game but I'll bet they didn't expect what they saw 2nd half. 

I'm of our boys and look forward to getting better as the year goes on. 

GBR!

lo country    2,220
1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:
  • lee isnt as good as some pretended he was
  • farniok is 100 times better than knevel ever was or will be
  • halftime adjustments are possible 
  • Reed might be a better saftey than kalu

Losing Jones and moving Kalu killed the secondary IMO.  Lee looked good against our D as well, their our D........Farniok played very well.

Micheal    121

That in the post game press conference Riley wasn't sure what year Farniok was as he was asking the reporters. 

zoogs    6,223

That was a hill too far to climb, to quote Brian Christopherson. Kudos to our guys for not only persevering, but fighting back hard in hostile territory and nearly pulling it back...all while losing key players on both sides of the ball (Kalu, Bryant). These men have a ton of fight and no quit in them. Now, if they could find a way to avoid having the game get blown open in the first thirty...

Gonna be a fun season. Lots for the team to work on as we round into B1G play. But I like the spirit. C'mon, guys, cheer them on. GBR ;) 

EmeraldIngot    145

We weren't as good as some people (myself included) on here thought we would be. 

We weren't as bad as some people on here thought we would be. 

If our offense plays like they did in the first half and the defense plays like they did in the second half for the rest of the year, I like our chances. 

I'll always cheer on my team and hope they do well, even when we're down 42-14.

zoogs    6,223

Oh, here's a big one we learned: if Nebraska has to throw the ball all day, backed into a ridiculous corner, by scoreboard you'd be a fool to count this offense out. Pretty good deal. Don't sleep on the Huskers.

gorp512    99

Could it be that Diaco just doesn't have the players for his system because he literally doesn't have the players for his system?

Comfortably Numb    4,856

I learned that partial moral victories suck.

Our defense only seemed to look better in the 2nd half because Oregon coasted out a 28 point half time leadc 

Lee isn't all he's been painted as. He struggled today, made bad decisions and didn't seem to get through any progressions. Not all his fault as our WRs didn't seem to help much. But he made more than his share of bad throws and ill advised throws into coverage.

Not quitting is a good quality but not showing up for half a game (defense first half and offense second half) is pretty hard to overcome.

BigRedN    316

Nothing knew ...

Tanner Lee had a bad game.  He is still our best option.  We lost a game that we were suppose to lose by 10-14.  We made a lot of mistakes and lost by 7.

The defense had a better second half.  I give no credit for half time adjustments.  The adjustments were by Oregon playing not to lose and made it far easier on us.  We lost the game in the first half with terrible defense and overall lack of interest.

We are still on pace to get the necessary wins to make it to the post season and finish 3rd in our half of the conference ... just as predicted.  :-)

Toe    438

Lee might have better mechanics than Armstrong and T-Mart, but he's probably just as guilty of trying to force throws that aren't there as those two were.

Going into the season, my #1 concern was the OL, with pass rush #2. At this point, I think the lack of pass rushing has moved up to #1 concern for me.

Branno    964
2 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Could it be that Diaco just doesn't have the players for his system because he literally doesn't have the players for his system?

If you don't have the players for your system, then don't implement your damned system. 

Keep us at a 4-3 and make the switch the next year. But these excuses need to stop. 

Lee not only makes some poor decisions, he is terribly inconsistent with his accuracy.

Dline is stout against the run. 

But cannot generate pressure for the life of them.

Lamar Jackson looked pretty bad a several plays. 

Theres a reason Tre Bryant became the feature back. 

Morgan has some fantastic ability but also has a tendancy to drop some very catchable passes. 

Someone needs to get the Offense to understand that when down by 2 TDs with less than 4 min on the clock they need to play with some urgency. They consistently let the play clock run to under 5 seconds before snapping the ball even though they were down by 14. 

Hopefully the team can build off this but a 7-5 season looks to be the mostly likely outcome. 

Mavric    9,719
7 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

He might not have the players to run his system.

Unfortunately his system appears to require linebackers who can cover receivers with track speed. So that might be tough to find.

It'sNotAFakeID    1,839

Looks like pressure is what's going to make this defense work. I think we brought a lot more pressure in the 2nd half (albeit on the 8 pass plays Oregon ran), but they seemed to rush Herbert's throw enough whereas in the first half he had all day to throw. We don't have the corners and safeties to cover for 10 seconds. 

Run defense didn't look too bad for most of the game. That might bode well against most Big Ten teams. 

The offense without Tre Bryant is shockingly poor. That said, the offensive line looked pretty solid today. Hope Tre is alright. 

skers83    81
15 minutes ago, Micheal said:

That in the post game press conference Riley wasn't sure what year Farniok was as he was asking the reporters. 

Explains alot. Did Riley know we lost?

Red_Payne    58
25 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Tanner Lee.  Loads of hype and little to back it up with.

I tend to (try and) be an optimist.

but i have to agree with you on this one.

Lee missed a lot of throws that a "passing QB" shouldn't be missing; and he misplaced a lot of balls that were caught; but yac were minimized because of poor ball placement.

Oregon's QB looked a lot more spot on with his throws; even on the throws that were wide open; something that can't be said for Lee...

HOWEVER; Oregon did protect their QB better than we did (or we put less pressure on Oregon, either/or).

Thanks_Tom RR    2,219

Tanner had a terrible game, and the offense put up 35 points despite him. HCMR & Co do not trust anyone after Bryant. When Bryant went out of the game, so did Langsdorf's willingness to run the ball.

Defense was really good the second half. It makes you wonder why Diaco can't game plan to start the game well. Second half adjustments were good.

HuskerNation1    897

My Grades:

• Passing Game (D)-Lee's throws prevented NU from making a great comeback.  It wasn't the fault of receivers dropping the balls or of him getting pressured non-stop.  He just missed throws.
  • Running Game (B+)-The running game was doing well until Bryant went down AND DL got pass-happy in the 2nd half.  I am shocked to say that I think the running game is the strength of our offense.  
  • Rushing Defense (B)- This is the strength of the defense, but as long as other teams know that, they will find a way to pass against Nebraska
  • Passing Defense (F)-Not much explanation needed
  • Special Teams (A-)-Punts were good, no FG attempts, and kickoff/punt returns and coverage acceptable.  

krc1995    550

I learned that I can throw a fit- I did it half and didn't watch until 4th quarter with 4 four minutes left SO don't really know what happened in the most of the 2nd half BUT two plays that could have swung the game 21 points in the first half were :  The flukey pick on our first drive AND the DPE penalty.  Apparently we got some calls in the 2nd half but  I can't speak for them 

the paradigm    29

I tried to tell people before the season that Tanner Lee was overrated, and simply the lesser of two evils between him and POB. Nobody wanted to listen, and now they're finding out the hard way. 

BigRedN    316

Facts about Diaco's defense he coached at ND that some have not seemed to care about ...

Recruiting rankings per Rivals:

2006 - 8

2007 - 8

2008 - 2

2009 - 21

2010 - 14

zoogs    6,223
1 minute ago, the paradigm said:

I tried to tell people before the season that Tanner Lee was overrated, and simply the lesser of two evils between him and POB. Nobody wanted to listen, and now they're finding out the hard way. 

oh no

our QBs are evil. If only we had listened, we could have _________.

BigRedN    316
1 minute ago, the paradigm said:

In no way has this kid played enough for your statement to be a fact.  Today, he did not play well.  I was rooting for better.

seaofred92    1,301

1. The INT on the first offensive play of the game killed us. Getting down 14-0 to start the game off is just ridiculously hard to deal with. Especially when you're playing at a place like Oregon. 

2. We miss Chris Jones. Bookie is going to help a lot. Staff was in on guys like Graham and Pickett who are at Oregon and both made plays. Need to keep upgrading the DB talent 

3. When given the freedom to play aggressively, I like what this defense does. Sure Bootle gave up the TD on the opening drive but he was in position to make a play on the ball and the only way he (and other) DBs learn to play one on one on an island is to be out there and do it in a live game situation

4. Bryant is the #1 RB by far. Hope he is okay. Ozigbo will serve a role if Bryant is out for a while as Wilbon has a way to go in pass pro. 

5. We need another WR to step up. Stanley played awesome tonight but the depth at that spot just isn't there. Its Stanley with a step down to DPE and a clear step down to Lindsay/Spielman and then a clear step down to everyone else. DPE made a hell of a play on the ball in the first q. I have liked that the receivers seem to be attacking the ball more this year.

6. DPE still afraid to return punts

7. Kudos to the OL. They came ready to play tonight. Farniok is your starting RT for the next 4 years. Poss moves to the left when Gates leaves. 

8. This is about what I expected (score wise). People can claim Oregon went vanilla in the second half (last two drives I think they did) but the Huskers stopped the deep passes and really had been stuffing Freeman up the middle for most of the night. I thought the D played better and without the momentum of the two quick scores the Oregon O started to struggle against the Husker D

9. I am not sold on Langs. Think he's a pretty decent QB coach but still has more to prove as an OC.

10. Husker fans still travel better than almost anyone and its going to be great when we finally play in a bowl/game that means something again. Hopefully we rebound and make the B1G Championship game

I learned that, much like the last three Riley holdovers, this team won't continue on the way up until Cavanaugh is replaced. Too often are there unblocked guys or easy sacks/missed assignments in the run game for the offense to get into rythm. We could have had a different outcome if Tanner had longer than 3 seconds to get rid of it.

There will be a lot of games where the offensive line continues to get exposed while we keep wondering why Tanner is making errant throws. The guy rarely had long to throw it.