What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

JJ Husker

Lee not only makes some poor decisions, he is terribly inconsistent with his accuracy.

Dline is stout against the run. 

But cannot generate pressure for the life of them.

Lamar Jackson looked pretty bad a several plays. 

Theres a reason Tre Bryant became the feature back. 

Morgan has some fantastic ability but also has a tendancy to drop some very catchable passes. 

Someone needs to get the Offense to understand that when down by 2 TDs with less than 4 min on the clock they need to play with some urgency. They consistently let the play clock run to under 5 seconds before snapping the ball even though they were down by 14. 

Hopefully the team can build off this but a 7-5 season looks to be the mostly likely outcome. 

7 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Could it be that Diaco just doesn't have the players for his system because he literally doesn't have the players for his system?

He might not have the players to run his system.

Unfortunately his system appears to require linebackers who can cover receivers with track speed. So that might be tough to find.

• Plus1 3

Looks like pressure is what's going to make this defense work. I think we brought a lot more pressure in the 2nd half (albeit on the 8 pass plays Oregon ran), but they seemed to rush Herbert's throw enough whereas in the first half he had all day to throw. We don't have the corners and safeties to cover for 10 seconds. 

Run defense didn't look too bad for most of the game. That might bode well against most Big Ten teams. 

The offense without Tre Bryant is shockingly poor. That said, the offensive line looked pretty solid today. Hope Tre is alright. 

25 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Tanner Lee.  Loads of hype and little to back it up with.

I tend to (try and) be an optimist.

but i have to agree with you on this one.

Lee missed a lot of throws that a "passing QB" shouldn't be missing; and he misplaced a lot of balls that were caught; but yac were minimized because of poor ball placement.

Oregon's QB looked a lot more spot on with his throws; even on the throws that were wide open; something that can't be said for Lee...

HOWEVER; Oregon did protect their QB better than we did (or we put less pressure on Oregon, either/or).

Tanner had a terrible game, and the offense put up 35 points despite him. HCMR & Co do not trust anyone after Bryant. When Bryant went out of the game, so did Langsdorf's willingness to run the ball.

Defense was really good the second half. It makes you wonder why Diaco can't game plan to start the game well. Second half adjustments were good.

• Plus1 1

My Grades:

• Passing Game (D)-Lee's throws prevented NU from making a great comeback.  It wasn't the fault of receivers dropping the balls or of him getting pressured non-stop.  He just missed throws.
  • Running Game (B+)-The running game was doing well until Bryant went down AND DL got pass-happy in the 2nd half.  I am shocked to say that I think the running game is the strength of our offense.  
  • Rushing Defense (B)- This is the strength of the defense, but as long as other teams know that, they will find a way to pass against Nebraska
  • Passing Defense (F)-Not much explanation needed
  • Special Teams (A-)-Punts were good, no FG attempts, and kickoff/punt returns and coverage acceptable.  

• Plus1 1

I learned that I can throw a fit- I did it half and didn't watch until 4th quarter with 4 four minutes left SO don't really know what happened in the most of the 2nd half BUT two plays that could have swung the game 21 points in the first half were :  The flukey pick on our first drive AND the DPE penalty.  Apparently we got some calls in the 2nd half but  I can't speak for them 

1 minute ago, the paradigm said:

I tried to tell people before the season that Tanner Lee was overrated, and simply the lesser of two evils between him and POB. Nobody wanted to listen, and now they're finding out the hard way. 

oh no

our QBs are evil. If only we had listened, we could have _________.

• Plus1 1